United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up a few of the Scum and Villainy ships this week. Going to be playing them on Saturday. My best friend's teenage son loves the game and plays against the two of us and is really good. We're going to want to play with the two Scum and Villainy ships but with not enough to make a side completely of them I was wondering who folks usually have them with in such a situation. Rebels, Empire or it doesn't matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scum is its own faction; people don't usually mix factions in a single list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix them however you want for your casual play. Scum (to me) has ships that make more sense with Rebels - just due to the nature of their statlines. Plus, because rebels are more synergistic it allows a bit more freedom in squad building (although with 9 waves it shouldn't be too bad to find variety).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, Scum could go with either - the faction did start out as "take Y-Wings and Z-95 from the Rebels and Firesprays from the Imperium" in the first place.

I don't see any downside to letting them play and mix just the way they want.

All that is for casual play - competitive play would allow for some insane combos with mixed factions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread with some interesting ideas on how to incorporate Scum into either faction as "mercenaries":
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23424489

Personally, I like using rules A, B, and D from the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SwampMonster wrote:
You can mix them however you want for your casual play. Scum (to me) has ships that make more sense with Rebels - just due to the nature of their statlines. Plus, because rebels are more synergistic it allows a bit more freedom in squad building (although with 9 waves it shouldn't be too bad to find variety).

Yeah, there's nothing to stop you mixing and matching in a general game.

I would note however that some things are carefully balanced that are Scum Only, and would probably be extremely powerful - even overpowered - in the hands of other factions. So mixing and matching ships is fine, but it's probably best to keep the limitations on the cards as they are and only use Scum Only stuff on Scum ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Thematically, Scum could go with either - the faction did start out as "take Y-Wings and Z-95 from the Rebels and Firesprays from the Imperium" in the first place.

I don't see any downside to letting them play and mix just the way they want.

All that is for casual play - competitive play would allow for some insane combos with mixed factions

We did a mixed faction tournament for at my FLGS for the month of August. All rules were enforced, except for faction restrictions (including upgrades being available to all factions). Everyone was excited about their awesome combos (I ran Wes, Carnor Jax and Palob for token shenanigans). In the end, the winner was the only one NOT running a mixed faction list. Everything he had was perfectly legal - a Dengaroo list - Zuckuss and Overclocked Astromech, with title, glitterstim, countermeasures, torps (not sure which offhand) and lone wolf. Manaroo had Boba Fett and overclocked for sure, and I think Engine upgrade, deadeye, torpedoes (protons and flechettes?), and an illicit that eludes me. I believe it was a 97 point list. Just shows that ignoring faction restrictions, while allowing cool combos, is not insanely overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.