$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45% of Goal | left

Support:

Nikolay Zhekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Disclaimer: While I am friends with the creator of the project, this is not a commissioned preview. All the information below has been at some point revealed or hinted by Fantasmagoria Games, but there is also some speculation on my part. Finally, nothing you see is final.

Last year held a very special event for me and my fellow Kickstarter backers - we got our Battalia: The Creation copies! If you know nothing of the world of Battalia, waste no time, as the current sum-up includes information mainly about the expansion of the game - The Stormgates, which requires Battalia: The Creation in order to be played. I will not be getting into detail about what Battalia is and how do you play it. Resources on the base game can be found in my overview of the game here. UndeadViking has a great video on the core game and you can further expand your knowledge about it at the official page (battalia.eu) and Facebook page of the game (https://www.facebook.com/Battalia.bg/).

We had almost a full year to play the frak out of the original Battalia before Fantasmagoria Games hit us with a big box expansion of the strategic deckbuilder/dudes on a map combo. Battalia: The Stormgates will have its own Kickstarter campaign that will hit the popular platform for online funding on the sixth of September 2016.

In Battalia: The Stormgates the mighty Bärfolk, the proud Cloudborn, the fierce Emberians and the mystic Islanders are joined by two completely new factions - the first major feature of the expansion will be the Sunblessed and the Wolfsclan.

One of the major things that made vanilla Battalia so interesting was the deck building mechanism that is tightly connected with a tile laying aspect and simulates the creation of a nation. By now I have gotten pretty comfortable with the four elemental decks of the game and while Emberians are still the coolest in my eyes, I am thrilled at the prospect of two more factions (and four more mounted minis!). As you know the factions of Battalia are not that different from each other game play-wise, not counting the diverse artwork and backstory (when not playing with the extra hero sheets that add character abilities). Which means the two new nations will serve a specific purpose (apart from scratching that “the Starks meet vikings” itch) - after the expansion, Battalia can be played by 6 people simultaneously.

So it is not just visual variety and eye candy we are getting - the game will feature a whole new set of ways to play! While you can use the rules of the core game and add the two new factions to get that 6 player melee session you have only dreamt about up to this point, the designers have actually taken into account that this would extend beyond the reasonable gaming time (figuratively speaking of course - we gamers tend to have a different idea of “reasonable”).

New factions are no doubt cool but the larger novelty in Battalia: The Stormgates will be the team vs. team mode. This new way to play is a major improvement for the core game, as it also works in 4-player games and drastically shortens play time. I had the chance to test it out at a local board gaming event in Sofia this spring and I was very impressed with the smoothness of this mode - it is a great way to sneak in that longed for game of Battalia, without spending half a day or culling the player count.

This is achieved through simultaneous actions from alliance members. This variation of the core game’s mechanism not only works well towards shortening the game, but it also opens a whole new set of strategies for you to discover and experience. In the vanilla Battalia we were used to be dependent only on our own factions/decks. Essentially having two hands of cards within the alliance, paired with the ability to time your actions in accord with those of your teammate lets you do cross map plays and try tactics that were impossible before. I am really excited for this mode - while Battalia has a variety of ways to play in the core/KS box, the semi-coop/team play is something completely new. I am very curious to see how the game handles the three teams of two players each, as well as the still-in-testing two teams of three.

The obvious point of interest in Battalia: The Stormgates is in the title of the expansion itself. The Stormgates will be the other major addition to the game. In order to suit the higher player count the expansion features a board extension that makes the Battalia map even bigger. While fitting the new stuff on the table might be a bit challenging, the increase in size will also affect game play - the map is no longer a perfect square, so movement will need to work in a different way.

Enter the Stormgates!

(philosiraptor detour: can the gates themselves enter and if so, what do they enter through?)

While there is little info about these six new cards (one for each faction), the designers have stated that they will not only allow easier movement, but will have an event system tied to them that will provide some kind of bonuses for the players using them. Cross map movement has been an interesting possibility in Battalia (those of you that have used the Wings of Aviena know how much that can influence the whole game) and I think it will bring a lot in terms of game play. I am curious to see how does the game keeps its balance though - especially with a higher number of players there might be little counter-play to shutting one opponent down via “rush” movement and the inability (or the lack of reason) of the others to prevent it.

No matter what the rules on Stormgates look like, they raise quite a lot of questions. Who can use them and when? Won’t they bring disturbance in the balance of forces that (almost) free movement indispensably brings? Are the Stormgates further inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic and how much does Alex actually love the old classic? Boy, I hope we get those answered soon!

Those of you that aren’t new to the Battalia universe know by now that one of the most straightforward and effective strategy in the base game has been to cull your deck of the weaker cards and try to make a slim, but super effective late game machine that uses only certain cards. While it has not been much of a problem in casual sessions, where I present Battalia to new players, the slenderizing of one’s stack of cards had been a dominant tactic in competitive games. And Battalia is the kind of game that, sooner or later, you start playing competitively.

In order to deal with that Fantasmagoria has a new unit in store for you - the Kings and Queens. They grant you the option to build higher level cities (one capital of level 6 and two residencies of level 5), but at the cost of limiting your options when you try to make your deck slimmer. There isn’t any info about the exact way these cards behave, but in any case it is good to see a new type of a card, as well as a new overall strategy. I have to point out that while the super-slim nation strategy has not bothered me much, a counter-play of this type (the Kings and Queens) not only handles game play variety, but expands the game lore-wise and gives us an entire different archetype of deck to build.

The last confirmed addition that Battalia: The Stormgates will feature are the two extra non-player characters named Bilkarr O'the Mountain people and Metamorpha. The latter is the one that instantly grabs my attention as this butterfly-like fairy creature influences the whole map based on the terrain she is standing. I was worried that this might bring randomness to the game, but it seems that Metamorpha can be controlled by the players to some extent, as the magical being is attracted to new terrain. We will have to wait for the details on that one!

Bilkarr on the other hand is one gorgeous miniature (judging from the 3D render, check it out at the end of the preview)! His figure is a wandering one and it will be up to us to catch him and buy some of his potions. Again, there are six types of those with different effects and we can only speculate about how they will affect the game play of Battalia. In any case the minis (and the potion “tokens”) rouse my curiosity - they will certainly be a nice addition to the ever-expanding variants set of the game.

While there will be only six miniatures included (some of which seem GIANT judging from the renders, check out some of them at the end of the article) in the base box of Battalia: The Stormgates, Fantasmagoria Games have released a ton of 3D renders of different miniatures, including the one that got away - the fabled Ruin Guards that we could not reach during the campaign of the base game. The other renders could not be anything else than stretch goals for the current Kickstarter and I must say that they are both numerous and interesting in design - the armored mammoth and the catapult thingy are raising a lot of questions about the part of all those miniatures in the game.

Doing a sum-up of all the info we got on Battalia: The Stormgates got me to notice one interesting pattern in the game design for the expansion. The new stuff seems to be aimed at the board part of the game, rather than at the nations and the deck construction. Besides the new identical factions and the new element with the Kings and Queens, The Stormgates seem to be devoid of any improvements of the deck building aspect. While the info above is not final, I for one would love to see new artefact types or at least a little bit of tweaking on the old ones - if you have played the vanilla Battalia, you have experienced that some of those cards are more or less situational and could use some love.

The focus on miniatures is something I welcome, as I am a huge fan of figures. Furthermore, judging from Bilkarr and Metamorpha, the figures will not just be a visual extra. Having unique rules for every one of them (if the hinted ones are indeed stretch goals) will expand the Battalia replayability and variability tremendously - something that is really vast even with just the core game.

Whatever hidden stuff the team behind Battalia: The Stormgates has in store for us, the expansion promises to bring a lot to the table. The added nation decks and the 6-player game are the ones I am looking forward to the most, as more card colours will slightly alter the way decks of units and artefacts behave, which will probably make cohorts that much more important and will increase the strategy level of the game.

The good news is the campaign is very, very close - just four days until September 6!

Gallery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Tsolov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great preview!

Can`t wait for the start of the campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandar Guerov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-city
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Really nice to see the first thread on BGG regarding our BIG!Expansion ... Thank you Nikolay, we'are about to reveal the whole truth, only in 3 days :-) Greetings from the Batttalia forge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgi Dimitrov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Long and detailed as always! Great preview!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backing day 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslav Popovic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Laktasi
RS
flag msg tools
Backed immediately! An expansion to one of the best games I backed on Kickstarter, if not the best one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
Really good article Nikolay! This expansion is lookin really good and it looks like a great addition to the base game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the preview! Already backed it but this was a nice preview of it :- )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Trisoliere
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Really looking forward to this expansion. Beautiful components. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bazz Krycek
United Kingdom
leicester
uk
flag msg tools
This expansion is stunning, so very stunning. Can not wait to add this masterpiece to my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof P
Poland
flag msg tools
1st day backer.
Can't wait to play it All that stuff and SG looks very impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Marshall
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
somehow missed this when the base game came out, really like the look of this game so great I can get it all together including the original KS stretch goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Hernandez
Spain
Finestrat
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played several times the core game recently and it's awesome! If you like Deckbuilding games, that one is a Must. The artwork, the components, the gameplay... Everything in this game is outstanding!! And now everybody have the chance to get it with this great expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Ninov
msg tools
The base game is very nice and this is also looking very good. Hope to have it will all goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Littleton
United States
High Point
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a great expansion for a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Zhekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from a vacation and saw all the comments under the preview - thank you guys, I hope it was helpful!

The campaign itself truly looks gorgeous and I just backed it myself. On to the stretch goals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Ming
Italy
flag msg tools
I want play it now!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Ninov
msg tools
Hello All,

Please find the last update from the campaign.

The fanatics

Some of you wished to know more about the content that is being unlocked, so here we will explain something about the fanatics.

The Fanatics cards represent our new universal faction in a way similar to the Unbound mercenary faction. They will count towards every possible cohort and add additional number of cards to every units deck. We call them also The Order Of The Half, since they are followers of a twisted version of all believes about the Oracle and they created their own religion out of it. Their big power is the ability to clone themselves for a short period of time and double their strength on will... But this ability has a permanent price - the player has to sacrifice one other card forever into the limbo in order to clone temporary a fanatic ...!!!

The Valley of the Kings

And here is a sneak peak of the Battle arena and the Stables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
flag msg tools
Same for me. So glad I was scouring Kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Ninov
msg tools
Hello again,

Please find the latest update.

ALREADY ACHIEVED :

4 cards with unique artwork for the 4 units ranks - friman-fanatic, chief-fanatic, priest-fanatic and lord-fanatic - mix of 2x male and 2x female characters.... The next stack of fanatics which we should unlock after the beautiful digital poster will secure 4 more cards with different artwork (the opposites genders of the current male and female characters) which increases the chance to get a special fanatic card in your deck during play.... Congrats and now direct to the next SG.

ABOUT THE ADD-ONS:

Today I will explain a bit more in our ADD-ON section about the Keeper. This completely new figurine is available already to you as add-on, because we had the super chance on the last production run to have a bit of a free space in the production matrix (mold) for our figurines, so we designed this figurine after last campaign and are now half prepared (a part of the tooling costs are already paid) and able to offer you the Keeper directly as add-on . This figurine is very interesting because it offers alternative game-end condition: players have to collect all elemental keys in play (one possible use for the ring-marker spots on the right side of the dashboards) and build of course 3 or 4 x 4th level cities to be able to end the game (the number of cities depends on the difficulty level you prefer). The Keeper is the almighty lord of battle, the master of all surges, The Missing Element itself. The Keeper emerges on the battlefield to reward the victor in the combat with a valuable elemental key. For example if you are the Emberian player and could win a battle against the Islanders the Keeper will grant you a blue / water-elemental key for reward. The players can also challenge the Keeper himself and they can collect a desired key after winning the battle against him. When you play in team mode, you can never challenge your partner or yourself of course, so you will have to obtain 2 keys guaranteed in a duel against the Keeper himself. This mode pushes also to fight many and different battles against DIVERSE opponents, because you'll need all types of elemental keys to win ... We recommend this figure to be used in 3 to 6 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandar Guerov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-city
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
9 days left and 18 stretch goals unlocked - 3 super detailed large miniatures are already in the loot chest and tons of other materials.

Just take a look : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battalia/battalia-the-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
How does this expansion affect/change the 2-player experience of Battalia? Any insights on that front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.