47.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Last night we pulled a crossroads where some deputies wanted to help us. We could either ignore them; or pull X cards from the Police Station and keep all weapons, but add the condition that three specific areas needed to be clear of zombies to the main objective. We chose the latter, and managed to exile the betrayer the next turn.

We cleared them on turn counter 3, and was ready for our win, but then we noticed the order for checking the main objective: after "add zombies". The betrayer can park his survivor on one of these areas, and even when exiled always attract a single zombie! Even if we kill him, by default rules he'll get a new survivor on his turn that starts in any non-colony location. Without an errata, the second option makes the game unwinnable with an exiled player-- is there something out there for this?

For such an excellent display of rules and mechanics, this seems odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about any errata, but off the top my head, I'd say you'd have to clear 4 areas out so the betrayer can't tank it.

Edit: if it's 3 specific areas I can't see a way around this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you play with the player elimination variant, then no, there's no way around that. Perhaps negotiate with them to leave that place? Depends if they are the real betrayer or not.

I suppose you could get there and place a load of barricades, fill all the zombie slots and then when a single zombie is placed it'll clear the barricade and therefore there won't be any zombies at that location.

Otherwise, this is just real life, someone will always be out there screwing with your plans, and that's the pay off you have to consider when you take the addition to the main objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes, leaving barricades behind would negate the zombie that would come out from the betrayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once they are exiled they do not need to tank the colony to win. Their new goal replaces the Morale Drops to 0 goal. So if you negotiate with them to help them on their goal, they might help out with the colony goal. In particular, since it is added to the main goal, if they *don't* help out I believe they will lose if the turn timer goes to 0, so that might give them even more incentive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chrishall20 wrote:
Edit: if it's 3 specific areas I can't see a way around this?

I didn't undertand that question mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's just the type of thing you have to take into account when making that choice on the Crossroads card. Not only will it be difficult to clear the zombies out, but a player can camp survivors on one of the locations and keep attracting more zombies there.

Even loyal Colonists might want to do that if it's looking like the game might end and they need more time to complete their Secret Objectives.

But it does make me wonder if Plaid Hat really intended for that Crossroads to create that type of situation. Maybe what they meant was more like, "... if there are no zombies on the three locations before the Add Zombies step..." That would at least allow the other players to be able to achieve the new main objective, and if someone did want to camp out there, they could still make life difficult by attracting more zombies as long as the main objective isn't completed.

"We've got to get Steven off the Police Station! He keeps attracting more zombies even after we wipe them out!"

"Well, if we keep killing the new ones, we'll be okay."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
As XDarkAngelX mentioned, an exiled betrayer loses their original secret objective and gets a new, exiled objective. And I believe most if not all of those require the colony to achieve the overall objective in order to win.

So unless the player is just being a poor sport over being exiled, they should not tank the game in this situation. Now, if they have not been exiled and they happen to be the last player in the turn, then yeah, the colony is going to lose, but that would just be due to a good play by the betrayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think there's only 1 out of the 10 Exiled Betrayer objectives that requires the Main Objective to be completed. For Exiled Non-Betrayers, it's about half of them. But Nathan did mentioned that it was a betrayer that was exiled in his example.

So I think it could make sense for someone to camp out there and stop the game from ending until he could complete his secret objectives.

Nathan, did that player actually win that game? In fact, it could have even turned out that everyone won -- maybe he just wanted the game to go on a little longer until he was ready to win, and then he let the main objective be completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This was our first DoW game, mind you. The exiled-betrayer had one of his two survivors in an area we needed to clear: the hospital. It wasn't to attract zombies, but his survivor searched better there, and he needed to equip more weapons than any other player to win-- he wasn't trying to screw us anymore. The hospital has no weapons, but... that was a new-to-the-game mistake.

It seems like a fair card. Even with a single exiled survivor there, we could have had one of our survivors there, cleared, built 4 barricades, and went back to the colony. It would have been very difficult, as you can't travel twice in the same turn, but doable (we did have two sniper rifles at the colony). In the end, everyone lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
This was our first DoW game, mind you. The exiled-betrayer had one of his two survivors in an area we needed to clear: the hospital. It wasn't to attract zombies, but his survivor searched better there, and he needed to equip more weapons than any other player to win-- he wasn't trying to screw us anymore. The hospital has no weapons, but... that was a new-to-the-game mistake.

It seems like a fair card. Even with a single exiled survivor there, we could have had one of our survivors there, cleared, built 4 barricades, and went back to the colony. It would have been very difficult, as you can't travel twice in the same turn, but doable (we did have two sniper rifles at the colony). In the end, everyone lost.

At what point did you say, "Move Jenny to the damn School already and we'll give you one of these effin' Rifles!"? Admittedly you probably didn't know that's what he needed until after the game, but a little bartering could've gone a long way.

Also, that Crossroads is just a giant trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the first time we used that Crossroads, we went for it and only got one weapon out of it. Terrible trade-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.