Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I had long been considering Airborne Commander but have never taken the plunge. Then I see this nice little game on Single Handed's page and I'm changing trajectory. Quite certain I will have the pnp by the end of the day.

Airborne Commander theoretically fills the same gap for me but being in Canada it will ultimately cost me close to $60. At $3.00 USD this is a no brainier.

The games seem to have a similar approach and feel, so no need to split hairs there.

AC players have reported difficulty levels that range all over the place, whereas Wipers seems more consistently challenging.

Rest assured, I'm not trying to convince myself, I've already made my decision. I just wanted to draw attention to the two games because they share a few things in common.

Excited to get this all sleeved up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have some suggestions to a fellow Canadian who has never "printed'n played" before? The delivery fees from GameCrafter are too high unfortunately.

Do you use a specific online Canadian printing site or do you go to a place like Staples? I wish to play this game but I cannot imagine me playing with cards made from my little ink printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Jamelrha wrote:
Do you have some suggestions to a fellow Canadian who has never "printed'n played" before? The delivery fees from GameCrafter are too high unfortunately.

Do you use a specific online Canadian printing site or do you go to a place like Staples? I wish to play this game but I cannot imagine me playing with cards made from my little ink printer.

Absolutely.
You are correct. I have always used Staples. I send them the PDF and less than a day later they're ready. Go for the 100 weight, glossy.
You can cut everything out there at Staples, because they have all those self serve tools. So you can get straight lines, and quickly.
Of course, everything will need to be sleeved.
I've had cards made like this many, many times.
The only thing that is consistently unfortunate is the curving of the printed 8.5x11" sheets. It's almost unavoidable though. There are some tips here on BGG about how to flatten them out but I've never bothered.
Over time, I have managed to get most of my cards printed this way back to flat just with subtle bending, but you can expect that to take quite some time.

The only way I'd recommend you using your home printer is if you are unsure about the game and want to try it first. Of course, just do b/w on economy print. If you go for the color printing later, you'll still have these b/w for proxy cards if needs be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also print onto standard paper and use sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
FNH1 wrote:
You can also print onto standard paper and use sleeves

Definately. And the advantage with a lighter weight would likely mean little or no warping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for those great suggestions. It seems not like the enormous task I had imagined it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave Wipers Salient an 8 and AC a 2. Wipers is better in literally ever way, I just wish there was a "bit" more to it and am worried about long term replay value. It's just so simple, engaging, and fun. AC was a fiddly mess IMO. The rulebook is garbage and the game is just no fun. I tried to play it twice and quit both times, yet I've played Wipers multiple times and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. I'm curious on the question: If I like Wipers Salient, I might like __________ (insert some games here)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.