Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I have subscribed to various games listed here on BGG.

Several of the games - for example, Star Wars Imperial Assault and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Ed) to name but two - would appear to have games (on Vassal for example) posted here on BGG.

This is something I am very interested in. I have read a couple of threads relating to waiting lists for these games.

Is there are section of the BGG site that can help a newcomer to this aspect of game play? I would like to know what - if any - the "rules" are so as to be able to join in with these games.

I am presuming that there is some form of protocol attached to running and playing in these games. As such, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for understanding how these Play by Forums work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It varies from game to game, at least in part. I've been involved in the PBF community for multiple games. Frequently they'll set up a waiting list in the PBF forum, usually a wiki, but some of the smaller communities will just post a call for players when a new game opens up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are waiting lists mandatory? Or can anyone post a request for a new game?

I have played many wargames on Vassal using it for PBeM since 2009; I was not aware of any waiting lists for those. That said, the games I am interested in playing now are not wargames.

Thank you for the quick reply. If I understand you correctly, there is nothing to stop me going ahead and organizing a game once I am comfortable using the Vassal module (and of course, the game itself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There shouldn't be. I haven't done any vassal games myself, everything I've done has been strictly forum based. I've run a couple myself, but only Sentinels of the Multiverse, which doesn't really have a board, so the image updates are minimal. If you're planning on moderating one yourself, you should be able to do a quick look through the 'Play by Forum' sections for the game, usually any waiting lists are easy to recognize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all your help Justin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. The PBF's are what turned my from a longtime lurker into an active BGG'er. I'm happy to help get someone else hooked involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.