Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
Tha Roolz

1. Disclose your tangential relationship to someone famous-like.
2. Simply having seen a celeb does not count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother was in a sorority with Farrah Fawcett.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point, when I was much, much younger, my Dad was a second cousin (or something similar) - through a marriage - to Carol Burnett. However, my understanding is that that particular marriage did not last, so no more.

that's about as tangential as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My first guitar mentor was best friends with Merle Watson, a good enough friend and a good enough player that Merle would be the one to make the "Hey, let's get together" call when he was in the Raleigh area.

Coincidentally, another fellow that I occasionally played and sang with was also a friend of the Watson family, visiting their homes and even playing music. He had a mountain dulcimer, the first I ever played, which had been a gift and made by one of Doc's brothers as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to high school with the lead singer of the Violent Femmes ('80s punk/folk/party) band.

Sat next to me in English class. I remember once he got an F for using "non-standard English".

Kinda cool if you happen to know who the Violent Femmes are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
(I've told this in chat chat before, but here goes...)

I met Barack Obama's stepmother and half brother when they came to my parents' house for dinner.

(Ex-stepmother? She and Barack's father had split up, and by the time I met her and her son, she had remarried and Obama Sr. had already passed away. So not sure exactly how to refer to her.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We raced against Tony Stewart's dad at a local dirt track this week and hung out with him after the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I played D&D with Neil Patrick Harris, and my sister went to HS with him.(It's a kind of relationship)

Johnnie Cash is(was) my second great cousin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I met Princess Anne and had a conversation with her at conference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My ex-wife remembers John Mellencamp from high school hangin' out on the street corners in Seymour, IN.
My ex-wife's little sister used to date John Mellencamps little brother.
The clothing store I used to run was on Chestnut Street in Seymour Indiana. I came to work one morning and a photographer from Rolling Stone magazine and his assistant were waiting for a train with John Mellencamp in front of my store. I have a picture (somewhere)of me smiling and John Mellencamp scowling, arms crossed and looking away from me. If I recall he just nodded when I asked for the picture together.
A couple years later, when John Mellencamp was filming his movie in Seymour, he bought office supplies from where I worked then.
One of my ex-girlfriends was in John Mellencamps movie, Falling From Grace. She claims she bumped asses with Margo Hemmingway during the country club dance scene. I don't think she could jump that high.
Years later, one of my former employers in Bloomington used the same contractor as John Mellencamp.
I was with him and a small group of friends who were invited to go back stage at John Mellencamps last free summer concert in 1999 or 2000. He didn't speak to any of us. I'm not sure he ever spoke to me. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Al Higgins was a friend of mine in high school. I wouldn't say we are close now but we are Facebook friends and we thumb each other occasionally.

Al has written for a lot of TV (Newsradio, Doug, Daily Show, Mike & Molly, etc.) but the connections to True Fame are his brothers (whom I have barely met):

A. Steve Higgins: is currently Jimmy Fallon's announcer/sidekick and formerly a lead writer for SNL.

B. David Anthony Higgins: character actor in many TV shows. Maybe best recognized as Harry the friend on "Mike and Molly" and the mom's supervisor on "Malcom in the Middle".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat infamous among family and friends for having met virtually no celebrities in my life (while my wife has met dozens). However, I was told that one of my uncles (who married my mom's sister, so not a blood relative) was a second cousin once removed, or some equally distant relative, of William Shatner. That's about as tangential as you can get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my good friends as a kid is a good friend of Zachary Levi, from Chuck and other things. He attended my high school possibly overlapping me, but I graduated at least a couple years before he did. Kevin Costner went to my high school before I went.

Historically, I'm related to Miles Standish, captain of the Mayflower, through a couple different paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David T
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
i am David Tennant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Franka Potente was a foreign exchange student at my high school (Humble High School) during my Sophomore year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Interesting! My father-in-law is a cousin of Johnny Cash. We might be related!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is Brad Pitt's 3rd cousin... (his great grandma was her great-great aunt... I think I have that right give or take a great somewhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a High School production of West Side Story with comedian Lisa Lampanelli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
I had dinner with Edward de Bono. (There were 3 of us including him - so not thousands)

I've met and talked to Griff Rhys Jones and Ade Edmondson. (The first visiting to promote his Concert, the second when he was doing a book signing, and somehow was being ignored).

I met Terry Pratchett when I performed a skit from one of his books before he talked to a theatre full of pimply boys wearing blue anoraks.

I've met and talked to 3 NZ prime ministers, including Helen Clark and David Lange, (Which will mean nothing to peeps outside NZ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
quozl wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Interesting! My father-in-law is a cousin of Johnny Cash. We might be related!

Well, if you're related to your father-in-law, you have some explaining to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
My ex-wife remembers John Mellencamp from high school hangin' out on the street corners in Seymour, IN.
My ex-wife's little sister used to date John Mellencamps little brother.
The clothing store I used to run was on Chestnut Street in Seymour Indiana. I came to work one morning and a photographer from Rolling Stone magazine and his assistant were waiting for a train with John Mellencamp in front of my store. I have a picture (somewhere)of me smiling and John Mellencamp scowling, arms crossed and looking away from me. If I recall he just nodded when I asked for the picture together.
A couple years later, when John Mellencamp was filming his movie in Seymour, he bought office supplies from where I worked then.
One of my ex-girlfriends was in John Mellencamps movie, Falling From Grace. She claims she bumped asses with Margo Hemmingway during the country club dance scene. I don't think she could jump that high.
Years later, one of my former employers in Bloomington used the same contractor as John Mellencamp.
I was with him and a small group of friends who were invited to go back stage at John Mellencamps last free summer concert in 1999 or 2000. He didn't speak to any of us. I'm not sure he ever spoke to me. Ever.

I was hoping you'd met the Reaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I met Chapel.

Back in the early 90s my cousin was one of the first people to die from the Hunta Virus. (Spread by rodent crap, farmers were at risk) (big news for a while)

That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've met Chapel and Koldy. Although not at the same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
My college best friend / roommate (1986-1990) used to tell me stories about a kid he hung out with - smokin' and jammin' - in high school. That kid's name: Dave Grohl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have at least one friend of a friend on Facebook who is famous (in some circles) and used to have at least one more who has died.

Neither of whom have ever heard of me. Thus showing that "friend of a friend" is another term for "stranger". In other ways I can get to some really famous people in two jumps. But again with absolutely no connection.

So really only one jump matters. On this forum I could say I know Reiner Knizia and Martin Wallace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.