Memoir '44: Operation Overlord» Forums » General

Subject: FIRST overlord game. what scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have the base game x 2 and the overlord expansion. playing overlord for the first time with 6 players.

1. which scenario would you suggest?

2. any common overlooked rules i need to know about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
i have the base game x 2 and the overlord expansion. playing overlord for the first time with 6 players.

1. which scenario would you suggest?

2. any common overlooked rules i need to know about?

It's been a while for me so others can suggest a particular scenario.

1. I would only say choose a battle that interests you and your friends. If you're a purist and you play a large British scenario, maybe consider getting a 2nd Med Theater pack (assuming you already have one.)

2. For rules just make sure everyone understands how the OL Card Deck plays, it adds a lot of flavor over just the basic game decks.
Especially if you are playing an overall Commander in Chief each side.

Most important is have a good time. (But you already know that.)

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea for the Holiday weekend. Wish you all a great time. Would be fun to hear how it went afterwards. Have not yet had the pleasure of rounding up a group for a major battle.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Moyland Wood as a good "starter" Overlord Scenario. It has minimal special rules, can be played with only two base games, and is somewhat (though not perfectly balanced), unlike Overlord Omaha Beach.

The Cadet's of Samur is another good one. I have the actual printed battlemap for that one, but my memory is that it too can be played with only two base games. However, it does add in special rules for engineers, blowing bridges, and pontoon bridges.

In many people's opinion, the absolute best Overlord is Market Garden, but the scenario is one hex deeper than standard Overlord, and the version available on the DOW website cuts off the bottom row of the scenario (which has the German Tiger tank plus other infantry). To play it correctly you would need to the Tiger's in the Snow battlemap pack, which sells on E-bay for over $100. Alternatively, you could use two Breakthrough Boards, though you will still need a lot of roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.