Subject: Is there a 'must have" expansion for Star Realms? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I caved in and I ordered Star Realms and I was curious whether there was any expansion that added more meat to the game and fans consider to be a "must-have". thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a big Star Realms fan, I own all the retail expansions and think they add nice variety to the game, but I'd honestly have to say no: there are no real "must haves". Unless you're really itching to play co-op/solo, in which case you'll need to pick up Star Realms: Gambit Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the gambits and the Colony Wars but I prefer to play with the original, un-expanded game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Bases and Battleships really opens the game strategies up. The strategy becomes pretty rote in the base game after a while. It seems that the most popular format in online play is B&B and the Season 1 Promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy Star Realms and currently only have the base set.

Most of the expansions don't appeal to me too terribly much, but I do want to get Star Realms: Crisis – Bases & Battleships and maybe Star Realms: Crisis – Fleets & Fortresses

Mostly i just want ships and bases. Don't care about the Gambits etc too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Colony wars add a lot with the four-player version? I like Star Realms but 2P only is a non-starter for my specific setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tern73 wrote:
Most of the expansions don't appeal to me too terribly much, but I do want to get Star Realms: Crisis – Bases & Battleships and maybe Star Realms: Crisis – Fleets & Fortresses

This will give you a few extra ships and bases. Then maybe Gambit for the extra ships,Co-op and solo play.

More than that and you run into the problem of the deck becoming too bulky for a little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I combined the base game with Colony and thinned the deck out by removing a majority of the duplicate cards and cards I don't like.

Does it mess with the balance too much? I don't really care, the game is still fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, I will stick to the base game for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. A better box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, F&F and B&B are great for just adding a little more variety without changing the game at all. But they are hardly a must have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've greatly enjoyed the base game and am certainly ready for a bit more, so thank you for this thread and the replies!
Let's say I get Star Realms: Crisis – Bases & Battleships and Star Realms: Crisis – Fleets & Fortresses, do I just mix everything in? Same with Gambit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OldTallandUgly wrote:
I've greatly enjoyed the base game and am certainly ready for a bit more, so thank you for this thread and the replies!
Let's say I get Star Realms: Crisis – Bases & Battleships and Star Realms: Crisis – Fleets & Fortresses, do I just mix everything in? Same with Gambit?

The first two just get mixed in if you want to play with them.

Gambits are a little different, you draw 1 or 2 cards at the start, and set them on your side to use for the rest of the game ( each adds a small power to the player). The Gambits have a different color in case they get mixed in by accident.

The Gambit set also has 4 instruction cards to control a robotic AI. There are 2 AI opponents, and each has a solo card and a cooperative card version. Lastly, the Gambit set does have 3 cards that are mixed in like the Crisis sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Does Colony wars add a lot with the four-player version? I like Star Realms but 2P only is a non-starter for my specific setup.

If you want to play 4P then I'd certainly recommend getting Colony Wars. Despite what the rules say you don't actually need to mix the decks for 4p. We always just use whichever trade deck we feel like using (usually Star Realms) and the starter cards from the second deck. I'm sure we'll play a bit more Colony Wars at some point.

I also have Bases & Battleships and Fleets & Fortresses but haven't played with either yet.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
Thanks everyone, I will stick to the base game for now!

Good plan, you could get lots of plays without needing to add anything, you don't get to see all the cards each game anyway so there's plenty to explore in the base game. I've played it approx 50 times (+ probably 20-40 games on the app trying it out before I got the physical game) and it's still enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Crisis expansionexpansion adds more content. While some of the cards are not really interesting (such as the 1 costed blue and yellow ships), what's interesting is that you don't see the base cards as often as before. 80 cards is not a lot, and high powered cards tend to show up too often to our taste. In that sense, Crisis is a must-have for us.

I like the heroes, which can give you a little boost if you're unlucky. By triggering an ally ability, or by giving you more control over the game: authority, scrap, combat or discard, they're all relevant and interesting. Spending 1-2 trade for a card that doesn't pollute your deck is great.

The events are... Random but I like them.

The Gambit Set is great for coop play, not so much for solo play (there are free pnp fan made solo challenges out there that are much more enjoyable). The Gambits are great to introduce some asymetry between the players, and to give a handicap if a player is better than another.

Star Realms: Colony Wars is not a groundbreaking take on Star Realms. It's basically more of the same, but plays different (go figure). A bigger emphasis is put on basis, direct acquisition makes its debut but is often missed because it is not apparent enough on the card. The game is faster, the cards feel more powerful, but this is still your typical Star Realms, except you can scrap from the trade row more often. Mixing everything makes a big stack but that's still manageable.

Star Realms: Cosmic Gambit Set is just more Gambits. If you like them you'll like these.

Star Realms: United – Heroes will add multi-faction goodness for easier combos, more heroes that are more powerful but also cost more, making them less relevant as money sinker, and missions, which will give you another way to win, and some bonus if you can complete the achievements (play 3 different factions in a turn for instance).

The promo packs add good cards that might make the game feel less balanced as some of them are infamously powerful, such as Star Realms: The Ark Promo Card.

Overall, I'd say stick to the base game and if you like it enough, get everything else because it will add replayability to your game and provide you with more ways to play, breaking the routine that 100+ games will instill. That way you can mix and match expansions, play coop with friends that don't like to go for one another (my groups really liked the coop version), or go into deeply politic games in free for all multiplayer (so much more fun for me!). I did not like the base game but all the expansions made it so much better for me, and now I really enjoy playing it most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49 plays with other people and dozens against the A.I. here. So far from the number of plays other people have, but still quite a few
So I'll just add myself to the list of people who say SR doesn't have any 'must have' expansions. However, after playing it many times, you get to know the entire deck. And that can put quite a gap between yourself and less experienced players. So I now usually play Colony Wars when my GF or other people want to play SR, since I don't know that deck as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for me it was Gambit. Cus I could never get a game with anyone so the deck sat on my shelf for a year. bought gambit solely for the solo play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.