BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: $150 well spent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, technically, "to be well spent". I haven't spent anything yet.

I'm trying to buy some games, and I'm Canadian, and I recently discovered 401 games. It seems to have good prices and I'm up for buying $150 worth to get free shipping...but I am a sad broke person and want to make sure I'm getting the best for my money.

Do these choices make sense? Based on my favourites and my plays do you think that they're good for me? You might want to check my owned list (it's fairly short) and my ratings, if you're up for that.

Name
Five Tribes $56.95
The Game $16.95
Sushi Go Party 25.95
Lords of Waterdeep $46.95
Cheating Moth $8.95

Anything you think would be more worth the money?

I love Smash Up, Dominion, Evolution, and really enjoyed all the games I'm considering buying when I tried them. I'm super excited for the Unfair kickstarter going on right now - it looks exactly like my type of game. My group is smart, but sometimes like lighter games, so I try to get a variety. I'm mainly a euro player, but like light ameritrash. We've never really gotten into arkham/eldritch horror, and were so-so on elder sign. We like Survive: Escape from Atlantis but I am bored of it. We also like Codenames, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, Arctic Scavengers, and more

Thanks in advance. Board gaming is an expensive hobby But it's worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any alternative picks that you're deciding between?

Sushi Go Party and Lords of Waterdeep look like they fit in fine with the group you've described.

Five Tribes has never appealed to me (in terms of gameplay; theme looks fine), and I'm not familiar with the other two.

Castles of Burgundy is on your want list - that wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

How many players in your group normally? 4-player games enough, or are you needing 5+ often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
euronoob wrote:

How many players in your group normally? 4-player games enough, or are you needing 5+ often?

4...ish, but yeah there's a chance of more people coming in the near future, which is part of the reason I'm considering some of the higher play count ones.

these ones...
Quadropolis
Ultimate Werewolf
Dixit
Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Forbidden Desert
Star Realms
Apotheca

are all on list of possible buys, but the Quadropolis price isn't good on that website, but i do want it as I think it would get played. I've tried so many games lately at my local games cafe and sometimes it's hard to tell in one play just how much you would like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is a good game and it's away more interesting to most people than the simple mechanic makes it appear, there's something about flexing you creative muscle to prepare for (or to unwind from) a strategy-heavy session.

But you absolutely need to buy an expansion or two if you plan to play it often with the same group, otherwise you'll start seeing the same card/clue combinations being given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Dixit is a good game and it's away more interesting to most people than the simple mechanic makes it appear, there's something about flexing you creative muscle to prepare for (or to unwind from) a strategy-heavy session.

But you absolutely need to buy an expansion or two if you plan to play it often with the same group, otherwise you'll start seeing the same card/clue combinations being given.

I have Dixit, and you can't go wrong with it as its a really good game. But I also have Mysterium, which in my opinion does a better job scratching that creative / graphical storytelling itch..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First four choices are great games for any collection. I haven't played Cheating Moth, so I can really comment there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
First four choices are great games for any collection. I haven't played Cheating Moth, so I can really comment there.

We bought Cheating Moth for a friend, and it's hilarious, so I would definitely recommend it. It's mainly in the set to tip me over $50 though, cause the friend is sometimes in the group.

Thanks for the support for the first choices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend checking out Small World. I get the same vibe from that as from smash up but will play faster as its easier to comprehend (not that you need easier but it plays faster so you feel less downtime). From you comments on what your looking for and your comments on smash up its defiantly worth your time looking into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
glouie wrote:
mearendil wrote:

I have Dixit, and you can't go wrong with it as its a really good game. But I also have Mysterium, which in my opinion does a better job scratching that creative / graphical storytelling itch..

We haven't tried either of those! I can consider Mysterium too then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I'd also recommend checking out Small World. I get the same vibe from that as from smash up but will play faster as its easier to comprehend. From you comments on what your looking for and your comments on smash up its defiantly worth your time looking into it.

We pulled out Small World at our local game cafe one day when we were a bit tired and were overwhelmed by the number of chits, and haven't tried it again. It's well within our capacity based on what we like though, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
we were a bit tired and were overwhelmed by the number of chits

ah yeah that makes sense. defiantly have it organised well and don't pull out more than what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is a nice 'level up' from a lot of what you have. I'm in a similar boat where I'm fairly new to gaming and mostly have some lighter stuff, and Five Tribes was a great intermediate bridge to step it up to some more serious gaming. Lewis & Clark is another good brain burner.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is a great game, it and SmashUp were my first two games I ever owned. Basically you're playing in realtime, trying to escape the temple before the soundtrack runs out. Super fun co-op, it's like Forbidden Island on steroids.

You might also really enjoy Sheriff of Nottingham -- it's a solid bluffing/social game where you play the role or merchants trying to sneak goods in under the watchful sheriff's eye. Everyone has to play the sheriff twice so you get to see some cool sides of everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hold off on Lords of Waterdeep. Not because of the game but the price. That one often comes up on sale online (Chapters, Book Depository to name a couple). In terms of recommendations I would go with:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - heavier and a co-op
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - semi co-op, lots of fun
Puerto Rico - oldie but a goldie

Crogstad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a "sad broke person", don't get any of them. Seriously.

I went through a phase where I felt I had to buy a "free shipping" amount of games every month, but now I have shelves full of games that don't get the love they deserve. If you have some games to play, play them with a new found determination to get the most out of them.

If you really must buy new games, think about getting single games at a time so that you can focus all your energy on learning that new one and getting it played.

I'm currently 10 months into a year long hiatus on buying games, and I'm glad I decided to do this. At first it was really difficult, but now I have more appreciation for the games I already own, and I'm not just filling up more and more shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion Castles of Burgundy is a 2-player game. You can do 3. Four? Never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
You seem to like Dominion a lot. Consider buying Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Kings: Afterlife. Both of those, separate, or combined, will give you a lot of play value for a little money spent. They are $17.95 each at 401 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
1. Find a game group or meetup that you can regularly attend.

2. If possible, play a game several times before buying it. Most of the games I buy rarely get played more than once.

3. Wait a few months after a game is released before buying it. It is amazing how much pricing can change in that amount of time.

4. Unless you want to have a collection of games that don't get played, don't buy games you like, buy games that your gg will play with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'm gonna agree with the "none of the above" crowd. Neither Five Tribes nor Lords of Waterdeep seem like they'd fit your collection or necessarily go over with your crowd, and just those two are $100 worth of game you're buying to avoid a shipping charge that's a fifth as much if that's the only reason you're eyeing 'em.

Without knowing which of the games on the list are what you're "really" buying and which ones are just to hit the shipping threshold, it's hard to provide any advice really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party
Lords of Waterdeep

I'm not sold on The Game or Five Tribes for you (even though I like Five Tribes personally). Doesn't seem the right fit.

Dixit / Mysterium is excellent, get one of those
For a light party-type game, go with something like One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Codenames, or if you can find Las Vegas, that's a great game.

Finally, some other games that I think might suit you are:

Elysium
Quantum
Among the Stars
Hansa Teutonica

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
GibbRS wrote:
If you're a "sad broke person", don't get any of them. Seriously.

What he said. Play and rediscover the games you already have. Maybe add some house-rules to spice them up. Play other people's games.

Free Shipping With Minimum Purchase is often (maybe usually) more beneficial to the seller than the buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$25.95 for Sushi Go Party seems quite high, even in CAD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
euronoob wrote:

4...ish, but yeah there's a chance of more people coming in the near future, which is part of the reason I'm considering some of the higher play count ones.

these ones...
Quadropolis
Ultimate Werewolf
Dixit
Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Forbidden Desert
Star Realms
Apotheca

are all on list of possible buys, but the Quadropolis price isn't good on that website, but i do want it as I think it would get played. I've tried so many games lately at my local games cafe and sometimes it's hard to tell in one play just how much you would like it.

If you don't expect a group of more than ten I would recommend The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon over Ultimate Werewolf unless you prefer the player elimination and storytelling aspect. Have you looked at Tyrants of the Underdark? It's primary mechanics are deckbuilding and area control so possibly something you'd enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought The Networks recently for our group and it is great! I call it a heavy-light game in that it gives a lot of options but you shouldn't have to burn your brain out to get them. The theme is fun and offers great conversation. It seems 401 has it for $51.95 so it would be a larger chunk of your purchase, but well worth it in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
$25.95 for Sushi Go Party seems quite high, even in CAD.

You would not believe how expensive everything is here, sadly. Most places it's over $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
I'd also recommend checking out Small World. I get the same vibe from that as from smash up but will play faster as its easier to comprehend. From you comments on what your looking for and your comments on smash up its defiantly worth your time looking into it.

We pulled out Small World at our local game cafe one day when we were a bit tired and were overwhelmed by the number of chits, and haven't tried it again. It's well within our capacity based on what we like though, isn't it?

Small World is a pretty simple game, rules wise. But explaining (or reading) all the race powers before you have a grip on the basic mechanics is a bit meh. When explaining the game to people, I usually play one or two rounds without any race powers and then reset and explain the race powers. In context they suddenly make sense.
It also plays great with two (though many disagree about that. With two it becomes a super tight zero-sum game with very little room for error), if you care about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.