The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Shadow and Flame ... HELP!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathryn Pennell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello every one

so i have finally gotten back into this amazing game, and have successfully completed all quests up to Shadow and flame. But we keep losing to Durin's Bane

Im Playing a tactics/spirit deck and my partner is playing a tactics/leadership dwarf deck,

Any suggestions on what might help us win, we have rebuilt the decks several times now hahaha and are still losing

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the capability of changing the second tactics/leadership into leadership/lore? I found I needed all 4 spheres to complete that one but have not tried with my expanded deck building yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you threating out? Or are your heroes dying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn Pennell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dren608 wrote:
Do you have the capability of changing the second tactics/leadership into leadership/lore? I found I needed all 4 spheres to complete that one but have not tried with my expanded deck building yet.

we could change one but really like the heros we have so really wanted to make it work with then

Im Running
Gimli
Legolas
Eowyn

His running
Thorin
thalin
dain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn Pennell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mistertrench wrote:

mainly heros dying, but threat also became a issue in some games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Galadriel is AMAZING in that quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
This one I am still working on, as well as The Antlered Crown...

The Galadriel idea sounds awesome - didn't have her when I made my first attempts, could be fun to go back and give it a try. Will eventually take this down with the Khazad-Dum card pool, but a win would help build some momentum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mb
this may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6y886T-wWw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kath1990 wrote:
mistertrench wrote:

mainly heros dying, but threat also became a issue in some games

You should consider using Frodo as one of your heroes (if you are playing progression) with sentinel from Arwen. He can soak up most of the damage from the Balrog until you draw into Heavy Stroke, Khazad! Khazad! and other cards to get enough damage to kill the Balrog in one turn. You might need two turns, but Frodo can take quite a beating until you've acquired everything you need.

You can also use the Wandering Took, Song of Earendil combination to keep your other deck's threat to 0 so ideally you only have to take one attack per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanford
msg tools
The trick to beating this one consistently it to avoid having everyone taking attacks from the Balrog each turn. There are a few ways to achieve this:

- Hama + Feint: Keep recycling Feint to prevent the Balrog's attack on n1 player each turn.
- Song of Earendil: One player keeps taking threat from the other every refresh phase so that they stay at 0, and then you only have to deal with 1 attack from the Balrog per turn. If the Earendil player also has Galadhrim's Greeting and Sneak Attack+Gandalf, they can reduce their own threat to 0 often and then both players get to avoid the attack.
- Nori: Just make sure to play at least 1 dwarf per turn and you can stay at 0 threat.
- Galadriel: Her exhaust ability can keep you at 0 threat for the whole game.
- Spirit Beregond: Engage a weak enemy and keep blocking it every turn to keep your threat at 0.

Other things that have worked for me: Elrond+Vilya and a deck full of allies. Vilya will get you a free ally each turn that you can use to chump-block the Balrog.

Whatever you do, I would recommend NOT using a hero defender like Gimli or Beregond for this quest. There are several treacheries that will add +3 attack to the Balrog, and a plethora of shadow effects that will add another 1,2, or 3 attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this scenario to be fairly easy to handle, if you have plenty disposable allies. Just feed them to the Balrog one by one.

Frodo is also great in this scenario, especially, when combined with Arwen to gain Sentinel. So only one of you needs to sacrifice an ally each turn.

Of course, some buffed up hero (i.e. Elrond) with A Burning Brand and some healing to keep him healthy, might also be able to block the Balrog every turn, but as has been said, the Shadow effects can be nasty, so A Burning Brand is a must.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I found this scenario to be fairly easy to handle, if you have plenty disposable allies. Just feed them to the Balrog one by one.

Yeah, I passed this one pretty easily with a dwarf swarm deck.

I think the Balrog ate 7 or 8 dwarves, but it was a long time ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.