Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day I was watching a movie and thought about how board games have gaps in marketable intellectual properties (also known as IP) that do not have great games.  I quickly thought of 15 IP's that are not represented in currently board game market.  I thought I would post a list of the top 10 with a couple honorable mentions and maybe a quick pitch of what type of game it should be.  Let's start with honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions:
Shrek - One of the biggest family franchise that does not have a great game.  Could be a fun family style game where each player picks a storybook character depicted in the movie and tries to impress Shrek and Fiona in order to live on the swamp.  This idea is not flushed out at all.

Planet of the Apes - Huge franchise that seems to be coming back thanks to the latest movie in 2014.  The game could feature competitors fending off the Apes.  Maybe a Tower defense style of game.

​​

#10 King Kong/Godzilla - I feel like both monsters are similar in nature.  I know King of Toyko and Terror in Meeple City exist.  However both Kong and Godzilla are lacking in direct IP correlation.  It could be a two player game Monster versus Human or a better idea is who can effectively defeat the monster better than the other person.  It would be fun either way.
​​

#9 Scooby Doo  - Scooby Doo is a great classic ip needing a great game because the mystery aspect of the show.  I know that every episode they foiled the old man's plan however clues and storytelling could be the selling point of a great Scooby Doo game.

#8 Die Hard - Arguable the best Christmas movie of all time.  It needs a great game, maybe a miniature tactical game.  Hans Gruber versus John McClane and adding hostages and some diplomacy seems like there is some great potential.

#7 Matrix - The sci-fi franchise could have a great game in which people the characters are fighting two fronts one against the machine and another inside the matrix.  Could be similar to the idea of T.I.M.E. Stories of entering into the pod or avatar.

#6 The Departed - Now I know it's not a franchise; however an adult themed game that involve gangsters and cops.  Could have a bang mechanic of known identity of a couple of players like Mob boss and Police Chief.  However say other players are cops that could be bought to help the mob boss or mob members that are actual snitches.  Social deduction seems to be the best fit for this theme.

#5 Transformers - Seems weird in the recent trend of Transformers movies that no one has tried to make a board game.  Fighting robots that try to destroy the world.  Interesting enough that Upper Deck hasn't tried to make Legendary Transformers.

​​

#4 Terminator - Another untapped sci-fi theme.  Save Sarah Connor type of game would be amazing.  A simple card game would not do the theme justice but a little more in depth thoughtful game.

#3 James Bond - Bond, James Bond.  What? There is not a great bond game, seems silly that nothing has delivered on the classic British spy game.  It's tough because James Bond gets a lot of awesomeness from this "Mojo" but I could see this game developing into stopping Dr. No type of game with actions and cards.
​​

#2 - Indiana Jones - I know that they have tried.  The Dianna Jones award has a piece of burnt Indiana Jones RPG as its focal point.  However the adventure for artifacts in games like Incan Gold, and even Artifacts Inc. did not give me the sense of Indiana Jones due to its lack in characters.  Someone needs to develop a huge scale, get the treasure game. Cough Cough Fantasy Flight Cough.  Even a simple dudes on the map style would be amazing as long as I get to say, "snakes, I hate snakes."

#1 - Jurassic Park - Only the biggest movie of 2015 summer.  I think a worker placement style of game would be an interesting choice to maintain control of the dinos.  Another idea would be very zoo tycoon feel of building the park and seeing if it can contain I-Rex and his pals in order to make the most money before it escapes and eats everyone.  I like this idea a lot.  I am gonna sit down and see if these game could be flushed out further.  
​​

What do you think? Are there any other IP's that need a great game?

Make sure you check out my website. www.cut-the-deck.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in the wrong place.

You don't want to be here.

You want the general forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Not only are you posting in an inappropriate area, but you are at risk of someone crying "Dibs!" and eating your soul.

Oops! Too late. YUM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

He's also wrong. I just did a search for Shrek, Jurassic and Terminator and came up with a bunch of games for each. I make no claims that any of them are good games, but they exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

He's also wrong. I just did a search for Shrek, Jurassic and Terminator and came up with a bunch of games for each. I make no claims that any of them are good games, but they exist.

The Terminator minis game from last year was OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to General Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd only play a "Planet of the Apes" game if it was Simpsons Planet of the Apes, featuring the singing Troy McClure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very odd. One of those listed is exactly what I've been working on in my spare time for a while. I have my first prototype ready for play testing with my local group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Well, you also missed that the OP said "current" and "great" games from those IP's. From what I've seen, his point is valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.