Subject: Alternative Djinn cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Bunch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Has anyone developed alternative Djinn cards? I don't want my kids to see, much less play with the ones in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replacement cards are still available in the BBG store I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's talking about djinns I believe, not slaves. I don't think any alternates exist, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they naked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If your kids are old enough to understand and play Five Tribes then they're going to be exposed to that sort of imagery pretty soon, and far worse, if they haven't been already. The best you can do now is to play it with them as is and explain the historical/fantastical context if they ask. And I'll bet they wouldn't even notice, in fact - kids are a lot less sensitive to these sorts of things than adults.

For what it's worth, I can see why you might have an issue, although it doesn't personally bother me - I think it's pretty tame.

And of course, all of this skirts pretty close to parental dogma, so feel free to dismiss me outright. Each to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
Are they naked?

No, but some of the images are a little suggestive, or could be viewed as being demeaning if you're that way inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
In the "Files" section, someone created alternative cards. Looks as if the original intent was to swap out the old "slaves" cards that were in some of the initial games. The 'djinn' cards replaced the even more offensive 'slaves' cards. The alternative cares have images of 'Camels', which still fits the theme of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
getchristylove wrote:
In the "Files" section, someone created alternative cards. Looks as if the original intent was to swap out the old "slaves" cards that were in some of the initial games. The 'djinn' cards replaced the even more offensive 'slaves' cards. The alternative cares have images of 'Camels', which still fits the theme of the game.

No, no,

Fakirs (which in itself could be construed as negatively stereotypical) replaced the Slaves (that for some reasons were the first slaves enough people got angry with to make publisher replace them).

Djinn cards, the genies, have bigger, more varied art. None of which is particularly out of place in games of the level of production. Atleast I can't recall any outrageously suggestive stuff, although some of it could ruffle feathers if you are particularly religious. Although at that point, why are you playing a game that's all about generic arabic fantasy* setting?

*Not actually arabic fantasy setting, but like always, a eurocentric fanfiction interpretation of same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should simply wait for the OP to explain us what he finds disturbing in the Djinn cards, before making any assumption, and then give a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't mean to start a debate about parenting or values. The cards show the female Djinn in various states of undress. One in particular could be said to be wearing nothing but nipple covers. I am not comfortable with that imagery in the hands of my kids. It doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with that or not. I am not interested in a parenting lesson, nor am I interested in making someone else conform to my parenting style. I am simply asking if there are alternative cards available. If not, I think we will just cut off the images and keep the right side of the card that has the information on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lasttruegypsy wrote:
I didn't mean to start a debate about parenting or values. The cards show the female Djinn in various states of undress. One in particular could be said to be wearing nothing but nipple covers. I am not comfortable with that imagery in the hands of my kids. It doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with that or not. I am not interested in a parenting lesson, nor am I interested in making someone else conform to my parenting style. I am simply asking if there are alternative cards available. If not, I think we will just cut off the images and keep the right side of the card that has the information on it.

Ok, now things are a little more clear.

My suggestion is to use a permanent marker on the parts you want to cover, so you don't have to cut the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sillas
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, a sharpie will solve this for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsillas wrote:
Yep, a sharpie will solve this for you

In our household we call that the magic sharpie. A couple of SmashUp cards got it, Five Tribes got it, and a few others I can't recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What? So what? It's a nipple. A little brown circular protuberance. What's the big deal? See everybody's got them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
lasttruegypsy wrote:

This is our new favorite game, we've played it a couple dozen times now. I haven't noticed what you're referring to and my wife hasn't mentioned anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always replace the image with a text version of the card. Personally I didn't notice anything like what you mentioned, and I wouldn't have a problem with it myself but to each their own.

I guess you could glue cardstock to cover the image of the card and leave the iconography alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.