$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 131.71

7,732 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: drawn through gate but monster on the gate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr mr
msg tools
Hello,
I couldn't find this answer anywhere so I figure I must be a bit stupid or doing something wrong if nobody else has asked this

I fought and lost a Nightgaunt, the nearest gate I was drawn through had a monster on it. Do I fight the monster first or ignore it?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get drawn through it before the monster has the chance to fight with you. The same as when a gate opens on a location you are at, and a monster spawns there too. Gate draws take precedence over monsters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.I've always played that the Nightgaunt just puts you through the gate, without regard to any monsters.

However, this IS happening during the Movement Phase, when you deal with monsters.

I think the Nightgaunt's combat ability overrides the usual rules, and you ignore the monster(s). This is how we have always played... but your question leaves me only 90% certain this is right.

But I am about 90% certain... if you had to face monsters, you'd think that would be mentioned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are drawn through...no fighting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
Thanks. This is our first game - I've only had the game 3 years

But actually, one other question please

I was at French Hills (i didn't want to, but my son said what can happen - and two flying monsters appeared) then during the Mythos phase the Man in Black appeared. I take it I didn't have to follow this card after it was drawn as I was past my movement as technically I did end my movement phase here, and would only have to follow it if I stayed there on my next turn?

This card was a right pain as my son had just come back from the other world ready to seal the gate as we had the environment card that reduced sealing to 3 clues. And on top of that when he got back two monsters moved in as well so he lost loads of clues fighting them and then didn't have the 5 clues to seal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Man in Black" card states: "Investigators who end their movement in the French Hill streets may deal with the Man in Black to gain power." Italics added.


And yeah... Never trust Noden's Favor. The discount on gate closings never lasts long enough to be used, it seems... just long enough to lure you into an OW without enough clues...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Radulla on this: you get drawn through the Gate - exactly as it says on the card (unsurprisingly )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
Beholm wrote:
You get drawn through it before the monster has the chance to fight with you. The same as when a gate opens on a location you are at, and a monster spawns there too. Gate draws take precedence over monsters.
So, according to this, your investigator must be delayed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You are delayed if a gate opens in your location during Arkham Encounters phase or the Mythos phase; there is no rulecausing Delay from a monster ability, like the Nightgaunt's ability.

One interesting wrinkle in the Nightgaunt scenario; if you encounter a Nightgaunt during an Other World encounter, it will return you to Arkham.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
No. You are delayed if a gate opens in your location during Arkham Encounters phase or the Mythos phase; there is no rulecausing Delay from a monster ability, like the Nightgaunt's ability.

One interesting wrinkle in the Nightgaunt scenario; if you encounter a Nightgaunt during an Other World encounter, it will return you to Arkham.


Correct. The sudden opening of the gate pulls you in and disorients you... Of course the TRUE reason for the rule is to keep a player from instantly move to the 2nd half of the Other World. When the gate opens, you are drawn into the 1st half. But that is AFTER the encounter phase has finished. If your character weren't delayed, they would just move to the 2nd half at the next movement phase and be able to skip an encounter in the 1st half. By being drawn in by the Nightguant, your character would encounter it in Arkham, be drawn into the Other World, then have an Other World encounter. Since Nightguants do no damage, their danger is in the unprepared encounter in another world.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Interesting.I've always played that the Nightgaunt just puts you through the gate, without regard to any monsters.

However, this IS happening during the Movement Phase, when you deal with monsters.


No, encountering the Nightgaunt happens during the Encounter Phase, after movement is over.

Radulla wrote:

I think the Nightgaunt's combat ability overrides the usual rules, and you ignore the monster(s). This is how we have always played... but your question leaves me only 90% certain this is right.

But I am about 90% certain... if you had to face monsters, you'd think that would be mentioned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Behom wrote:
No, encountering the Nightgaunt happens during the Encounter Phase, after movement is over.


Nope... fighting and evading monsters is handled during the Movement phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for my mistake. I just reread my rulebook and you are correct. Evade is when you attempt to LEAVE a monster space or if you choose not to fight it. Failure sets the fight in motion. It always FEELS like after movement, but more like the end of movement. Thanks for correcting me. I have just begun a solo 6 character session and would NOT want to get it wrong. This one is being played to be posted on BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to apologize. There are plenty of struck through posts of mine on this forum, from times I thought I knew an answer.

Good luck on your solo! Six? I've never even tried with more than four...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
No need to apologize. There are plenty of struck through posts of mine on this forum, from times I thought I knew an answer.

Good luck on your solo! Six? I've never even tried with more than four...
Really living up to your "Mr Nice Guy" again Radulla! Don't know how you do it I thought it was worth a "please check before correcting posts by elder statesman" at the very least devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
Radulla wrote:
No. You are delayed if a gate opens in your location during Arkham Encounters phase or the Mythos phase; there is no rulecausing Delay from a monster ability, like the Nightgaunt's ability.

One interesting wrinkle in the Nightgaunt scenario; if you encounter a Nightgaunt during an Other World encounter, it will return you to Arkham.


Correct. The sudden opening of the gate pulls you in and disorients you... Of course the TRUE reason for the rule is to keep a player from instantly move to the 2nd half of the Other World. When the gate opens, you are drawn into the 1st half. But that is AFTER the encounter phase has finished. If your character weren't delayed, they would just move to the 2nd half at the next movement phase and be able to skip an encounter in the 1st half. By being drawn in by the Nightguant, your character would encounter it in Arkham, be drawn into the Other World, then have an Other World encounter. Since Nightguants do no damage, their danger is in the unprepared encounter in another world.
It you're going to make this point when you see mention of the Delayed mechanism, you should also mention H for completeness - the unintended/unfortunate side effect it has in the Mythos Phase. That'll show you really know you're stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.