6 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Mojo, Wildways and Warwolves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's contribution (Mojo and associates) will likely be my last as part of this expansion (unless I decide to make an effort at Longshot or Kylun):

Preface: Mojo is a pretty powerful villain, but I often thought his most powerful ability was being unbearably obnoxious and annoying. So I tried to design his cards accordingly. I haven't play tested yet but I can already tell he is going to be a real annoying and very difficult Mastermind. In fact I think he might be a little too rough (more on that later). I also wanted to try a few new things with him. For one I wanted him to have the potential to grow stronger as the game progresses, which I think follows thematically. Most of the really difficult Masterminds in the game tend to have really high HP that can be whittled away at via shards or KO-ing villains etc. However, very few (only sinister comes to mind but there may be others) start at a reasonable HP level and then grow to become more and more difficult as the game progresses. This makes the game almost always have a similar flow. We get out butt kicked for the first 3-10 turns and then we start to get some good cards built up, and junk cards culled out and then we tend to turn the corner and start doing some butt kicking of our own. So Mojo is designed to flip that around. He gets stronger with every non-grey hero in the KO pile. You want to get after him ASAP or he is going to cause all sorts of problems, and it will probably come down to the wire if you win or not. I also added a new mechanic where he keeps a group of henchmen with him (not in the villain deck) and they are released via Master Strikes. I really like this concept and think it will be pretty fun/frustrating to deal with. particularly because they will start to push out villains which will cause hero's to be KO-ed which will buff Mojo.

On to the Cards:

Mojo - Mastermind

Mojo Tactic - Fast Forward the Commercials
Simple effect, Mojo causes all villains in the city to charge two spaces. Which could cause as many as 2 villains to escape.

Mojo Tactic - Must See TV
Reveal the top card of the villain deck if it is a villain it enters the city and charges a number of spaces equal to the remaining number of Mojo tactics. If nit is any other card you can recruit a hero or defeat a villain for free. This could be...Really. Just. The. Worst. If you are unlucky enough to draw this tactic first it could cause a bunch of problems. The idea with this card is that the higher the stakes the more viewers so Mojo, as he often does, decides to create a turning point in the battle that will have all the viewers on the edge of their seats to see what happens.

Mojo Tactic - Plot Twist
This one is a little hokie but I think it works. You draw a random scheme from the stack of schemes that you did not use for this game. Then execute the first scheme twist on the scheme card. This is really iffy, it could be pretty harmless but if you were to draw a scheme like "change the outcome of world war II" it could really suck. As a clarifying note, if the scheme twist doesn't work or apply to the current game set up consider yourself lucky, you are safe and sound. The idea with this card is that Mojo is controlling the story line and plot, so it makes sense to me that he could completely switch things up for a minute or two to try and direct things the way he wants them.

Mojo Tactic - Slay-Per-View
Ko all hero's in the HQ with a cost of less than 4. Another card that could just dominate. So much so that you might shy away from using any spider-hero's while playing against Mojo. At first I didn't like the idea of having to custom select your hero group in order to make success a reasonable possibility but the more I thought about it other Masterminds do the same thing. Going after Magneto without any X-men will not go well and trying to beat Thanos without the Guardians is pretty tough. So I think I am OK that Mojo makes you avoid players with cheap cards. The idea behind this card is that Mojo routinely kicks out combatants that he thinks are not strong enough to be worthy of competing in Mojo world. So here he is doing the same thing.

Boost the Ratings for Mojoworld Sweeps Week
I am not sure if Mojoworld has an actual sweeps week but you get the idea. Mojowold thrives off of ratings and viewers. This is hard card to balance. It will have to be play tested a few times to get it right. I have assumed that generally speaking the average hero cost is less than the average villain HP, and as such the villains will win most of the twist battles, but I could be wrong. I also had to figure how often the city will be full (who knows) because that will effect how many hero's could possibly be defeated by a given twist. In the end I just took a guess at what a reasonable number for evil winning would be and we will see how it goes. If anyone out there is WAY into statistics and wants to get all serious about balancing this scheme well go right ahead. Otherwise, be patient while I try and find the sweet spot. The key with this scheme when played with Mojo is that eliminated hero's are kept separate and are counted differently than KO-ed hero's. Otherwise I think there would be way too many KO-ed hero's and Mojo would be unreasonably difficult.

Wildways:

2 of each card makes a full villain set.

Major Domo
This is Mojo's right hand man-servant/robot. He is pretty weak, but like many weak bad guys he always seems to sneak away before he would get hurt. So low HP + elusive made sense to me. His fight effect is a bit of a stretch thematically but I felt like it was important to have some sort of relief valve if the number of KO-ed hero's starts to get out of hand. So if you fight him you can buy back hero's from the KO pile. You don't get to keep them, they go to the bottom of the hero deck, but you do get to cut down on the quantity of hero's that are giving Mojo more HP. The thematic idea here is that often Mojo doesn't kill hero's he captures them so he can have them fight again and again and again because it is good for ratings. so - and here comes the real thematic stretch - if you take down his right hand man you might get some access to the cells where the heros are kept and could help a few of them escape. Like I said, it s a stretch, but I think the mechanic is important for balance so I think it will stay.

Quark
The story with Quark goes that he was created by Mojo's "boss" as a servant/combatant etc. But eventually sided with Longshot and rebelled. So he spent some time as both a good guy and a bad guy. As a result he can either be fought OR recruited. To be clear, this is not a bribe effect where you can use both recruit and attack point to defeat him, but in either case he costs 6 attack or recruit. If you fight him all players must reveal Wildways villain from their victory pile or gain a wound. If you recruit him he becomes a hero with Versatile 3 and Tech ability/color. There is not much theme to the hero side of things it was just an easy way to make him pretty useful without clogging up the text are with a description of his hero abilities. I tried to make him a bit over priced for the ability that you get but but I think that is balanced out by not having to deal with the negative fight effect. So although he is over priced I think recruiting him is the better way to go. I considered making him be able to rescue KO-ed heros upon being recruited or on every turn, but ultimately decided against it. I want to see how it plays first before I start potentially nerfing

The Agent
If I am been 100% honest I had not idea that eh Agent even existed before today. I saw his name in a Wiki article about the Wildways and thought "Great! there is my 4th villain to complete the group!" However there is almost no info on him anywhere on the net, so if anybody wants to give me some good background on The Agent I would love to hear it and would be happy to make his card fit more thematically. That said, he looks mean so I made him mean. He charges 2 spaces(more potential buff for Mojo), he has a reasonably unfortunate fight effect, and an escape effect that could further buff Mojo.

Spiral
She is one of the more powerful mutants out there so she is a real pain to deal with. She ambushes with her spells and causes everyone to discards and draw again, which could be good or bad I suppose. You must have spectrum to escape fighting her without a wound. If she escapes you have to defeat her before you can touch Mojo. I think she will really piss me off.

Henchmen - Warwolves
A really simple card. 2 attack, 1 VP and you get to KO a card when you fight them. However, when paired with Mojo they will be a real pain because they get released in progressing waves that will begin to cause villains to escape and then HQ heros to be KO-ed. So they should be easy to clear out but will cause some real problems.

As Always input is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Mojo does nothing for me, but if you like him I guess others might, too. I have a few things I can mention to help you out.

1) A Mastermind that gets more powerful as the game progresses is a great idea. I like Stryfe for this reason, and at least one custom designer (I want to say Hogan) has used this mechanic for Sebastian Shaw, and that makes very good sense as Shaw gets more powerful as he's smacked around.

You made a couple insignificant typos on Mojo's Mastermind card. First, there should be a plus after his Mojo's Attack of seven. Second (and even less significantly) Master Strike is two words, not one.

2) You seem to missing two of Mojo's chief minions, Gog and Magog. I've only read three story lines involving Mojo, and they were in as many stories then Spiral and Majordomo combined.

3) Speaking of Spiral, you forgot to mention what Spiral's effect is when Fortifying Mojo.

I dislike your Mastermind, but your concept seems sound. Hopefully others like your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
Mojo does nothing for me, but if you like him I guess others might, too. I have a few things I can mention to help you out.

1) A Mastermind that gets more powerful as the game progresses is a great idea. I like Stryfe for this reason, and at least one custom designer (I want to say Hogan) has used this mechanic for Sebastian Shaw, and that makes very good sense as Shaw gets more powerful as he's smacked around.

You made a couple insignificant typos on Mojo's Mastermind card. First, there should be a plus after his Mojo's Attack of seven. Second (and even less significantly) Master Strike is two words, not one.

2) You seem to missing two of Mojo's chief minions, Gog and Magog. I've only read three story lines involving Mojo, and they were in as many stories then Spiral and Majordomo combined.

3) Speaking of Spiral, you forgot to mention what Spiral's effect is when Fortifying Mojo.

I dislike your Mastermind, but your concept seems sound. Hopefully others like your work.

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I am particularly impressed that you took the time to give me some input on a character that you clearly have very little interest for.

I Like the idea of gog and ma'gog, I'm not sure how I forgot about them. I may consider using them to replace "the agent" who I know nothing about and is pretty much just a filler at this point.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Iato
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to hate Mojo. Thanks for this new incarnation of the big media blob. Did you know that Ni Cres and PegWarrior both have done real obnoxious versions of him?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/945199/another-custom-legen...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1150731/build-better-master...

Also, for your question about the Agent, he is central to this title:
Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem (1989). He is tricky, but not very powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added them all to the Marvel Master Database.

Well done...looking forward to giving them a hard time with my custom Longshot.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
RangerRob24 wrote:
Added them all to the Marvel Master Database.

Well done...looking forward to giving them a hard time with my custom Longshot.

thumbsup

Thanks! Hopefully he is fun. I really like your Longshot custom. I had originally thought about making one myself but I have struggle to come up with a good way to generate cards that accurately depict his powers. Luck is tricky that way, it is hard to create cards that showcase him pulling off the impossible without the cards being "rigged" or overpowered. I may still give it a go. The two thoughts I have considered is having him be similar to a spider-character with lots of low cost cards that compound on each other. I have also considered adding one ridiculously specific circumstance on each card that would trigger a huge bonus. For example perhaps his rare card would cost 7 (being a lucky number) and would contain a base ability of some sort with the following bonus trigger: If the city is fully occupied AND the total cost of the cards in your hand is 7 or less you can defeat all the villains in the city for free. So, you would have to have a bunch of grey heros and/or wounds to pair with this card so it would be very unlikely to occur and if you did happen to pull it off it would be by sheer luck. However that could make the cards pretty crowded and complicated so I am not sure how I feel about it. I may give it a go and see how it works out but for now I am not sure it will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.