$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious as to the thought process here (regardless of whether or not it's warranted. It'll also vary from game to game I'm sure). The ones I could think up of include but aren't limited to:
--art no is longer available
Either the game's getting printed by a different pub (art is tied to that publisher's version), or the artist didn't give permission to do so, assuming that wasn't the issue
--art will cost extra money to use
--new art should give it "new life", to generally attract new buyers with change
--art is "genuinely better"

--refined mechanics call for new printed material and provided bits
--they want to use the opportunity to include stuff for errata-ed or FAQ purposes, or just in general

--the game's mostly the same, but they had to go with a different printer (of which the differences are noticed)
--the old equipment, machinery, die cuts, molds, etc. that printed the last edition is no longer available.

--planned obsolesce with expansions
Making you rebuy the base game again, or compatibility packs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think some of it is tuning, to make the game more desireable to modern tastes (shorter, simpler, more deluxe). But I think a lot of it has to do with eliminating competition. Releasing a revised version eliminates the old version from contention for most purchasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
They do it to get people who already own it, to buy it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a lot of new versions of games have 'interface' changes (like the new Mission Red Planet or RA, for example) that make the games easier to play, generally based on the extensive player experience with the first edition that far outweighs any amount of playtesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.