29.4% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to play my kickstarter copy of Wombat Rescue at Ferndale Game Day! I read up on the rules and the Rules clarifications and felt like I was ready to go. After a 7 player game of Hide The Kids, we split into groups of 4 and 3 and I suggested Wombat Rescue because I heard it would be better with less than more players. Mary and Lisa were very interested in the game and Lisa was hoping for more scientific information about Wombat sphincters so she set to looking online while we set up the board. Right as we were finishing board setup, Moose showed up and asked if we had room. SURE! I said, The game can go up to 4. No big deal. I started to go through the rules and right as I was finishing, Evangelos showed up and was ecstatic. “The poop game! I played this in Germany! Got room for another? Well lucky for me, I had my Kickstarter 5th player pieces!” We wedged him in the 4th player spot between Mary and Moose.

I doled out the extra food tokens for everyone and then we got started. I was first and moved up nice and quick thanks to some good food placement and a wander card. “Yes!” I thought, “I’ll eat some food and poop next turn and I’ll be waaaaay ahead of everyone!” Wrong, forgot about how quick the wombat moved. I got eaten by the end of the next players turn. This type of play emerged pretty regularly as whenever one person made some progress, they were eaten and moved back to start. Each time though, moving ever closer to their baby wombats, eating and pooping and dying, eating and pooping and dying, eating and pooping and RESCUING! After about an hour, I had the first wombat in my pouch. I had a really good line going back to my start space with only one bend so I was able to make it easily. After that though, people were starting to get wise to my tricks. They’d stop a space short just so they could block me from moving or they’d cut off my path completely!

Everyone else got their 1st wombat back to their den by the time I made it back to the end of my line. I had to force a poop so I could make some progress as most of the food on the board was gobbled up and I didn’t think the Dingo was going to spare me by my next turn. Somehow I was able to survive a dingo attack by someone moving closer to that dastardly dog than me. YES! I was able to move and grab my second baby. I had another clear path back home after moving the dingo to stop anyone from blocking my path back to my den. It was much easier to grab my third baby than the other two. Partly because of my huge scent trail I had laid out and also due to the fact that a lot more infighting was occurring between the other players. I think they started leaving me alone and tried fighting for second because they knew as soon as I grabbed my third baby, I’d use my “warp home” special ability and the game would be over. Sure enough, that’s what I did. We all enjoyed it but it ran a little long. I’m not sure if it was the number of players or the constant reteaching of the rules but it took us almost 2.5 hours to play. Oh well, a good time was had by all and I’m eager to try it again with less players.

Disclaimer: None of these images are mine! I just think this game is so colorful and pretty that it would be criminal to write about it without showing pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you were moving the dingo after each player's turn. The dingo only moves after the player who controls it finishes their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god. Seriously. Wow. I'm an idiot. Thank god for session reports!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time you play the game should not take so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.