6,811 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Terminator movies...So, after looking around a bit, several questions come to mind and your advisement is appreciated.

Is this game going out of print or will it be around with more content coming?

If I want to own ALL game PLAYABLE (not just random minis) content, what do I need to purchase?

Why should I stay away from this?

Why should I pull the trigger on this?

Thanks!

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
River Horse seems to be releasing new figures and their rules, so support seems to still exist and looks like it will continue for a while. Not sure how much longer.

The figures are nice, even the plastics. I have not played yet but the rules look decent and should be fun and not too complex.

If minis are not important you can get the main rulebook, download additional material from River Horse, and have everything you need (and could proxy minis from other sources.)

http://riverhorse.eu/terminator-genisys-downloads/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to buy it, better do it now.

Go for the starter base, it's price is down under 50% for sometime now on Warlord games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
I was thinking about this I let my son try a demo this at salute along with imperial assault. He came away loving this and so bought a copy. with the recent discounts I bought a number of other bits, including a second starter for more troops and a starter set for a nephew who has expressed an interest.

The game is great however it suffered because of the link to the poor movie. Uptake has not as high as River Horse would have liked but the game is good with cool features full of terminator theme .
This is also an easy game to proxy modern war minatures easily fit in (look at empress moderns usmc , special forces and irregulars ). If we ever play high enouh point game we have a Revell apache gunship for the resistance. For Skynet i've 40k Tau drones for drones and you have plastic kits for the hks. I do have all the various terminator versions from river horse , but a simple conversion can create a command unit and 40k necrons came be used as heavy weapons.

If you are still undecided watch this beasts of war with the designer helping new players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4qJy-MDw0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Van Wingerden-Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you are any kind of Terminator fan, I would strongly recommend the game. I particularly recommend getting the more expensive "War Against the Machines" box that includes the big rulebook.

The cheaper "Battle for the Future" box comes with only the basic quick start rules. Those are fine for a decent few games, but all the actual best stuff is in the advanced rules and extra scenarios and missions described in the big rule book.

Of course one option would be to get the cheaper box and buy the rulebook separately, I dunno what works out the best value at the moment.

The plastic miniatures that come in the boxes are OK, while the resin or metal miniatures you can buy separately are superb. (I prefer the resin ones, the details are amazing, and you don't have to worry about little fiddly bits bending.)

In terms of extra figures, I'd strongly recommend getting the special endoskeletons. Rocket launcher, flamethrower, dual plasma rifles, commander. They help spice up the machine side and prevent them all being identical. Also the T-1000 is great, though it significantly changes the game, it is worth so much that it basically replaces half the machine army. The spider tank looks awesome, and it can be quite powerful. I also use a T2 Minimates Hunter Killer Tank.

For the humans, you can make any normal soldier into a commander by giving them command tokens/makers, so you don't necessarily need special figures for John Connor or Kyle Reese, you could pretend that a couple of normal soldiers are those characters. It is pretty great having the actual figures for John, Kyle, though, as well as Sarah and Pops/The Guardian. I use toy cars for Resistance vehicles, modified to look damaged and post apocalyptic.

Of course some people choose to just buy the rulebook on its own and use other figures from other games. The back pages of the rulebook include full-size images of the various card templates, markers and scenery pieces from the box, in case you need to photocopy them.

I got the game due to being a massive Terminator fan, despite not having done any wargaming since old Warhammer 40k second edition. And I got my girlfriend into it too, despite her being more of a Dungeons & Dragons role-playing sort and her not thinking she'd be into any kind of wargame.

We both loved it, because the rules really feel true to the films, and many of the scenarios in the big rulebook are "Narrative Scenarios". The machines and the humans play very differently, and it feels right and authentic to the source material. All the various rules and mechanics make good sense, either in terms of common sense or the logic of the setting. The way the game is written really encourages you to come up with your own stories and scenarios.

My girlfriend particularly loved how when you use a time travel agent to re-roll dice, the rules say that it is MANDATORY to come up with a story to explain your time agent's mission, you must say what they are trying to change in the past to justify re-rolling the dice in the future.

Of course if you are boring you can ignore that, or you can come up with a boring story ("a Resistance member/terminator goes back in time and warns the character in the past to duck at the right moment"), but we really enjoyed coming up with outlandish time travel stories, like giving a character a walkman with pre-war music to inspire them, or sneaking a dud rocket into a rocket soldier's ammo bag.

Similarly, whenever something spectacularly fails or spectacularly succeeds, we would naturally end up describing a little story of what must have actually happened, to justify how a soldier could somehow luckily evade the certain death of close combat with a Terminator, or how a low level solider could somehow put a high value machine out of action with a knife.

My girlfriend ended up becoming the first Terminator Genisys tournament winner. Alessio signed our rulebook, and she got a cool trophy that looked like a bust of Arnold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak logan
Greece
flag msg tools
Hello there, I would personally recommend it for you. here are the reason why:
1. terminators that feel like terminators (hard to be killed, easy to kill humans)
2. Easy rules for the skirmish game and easy to teach to new players
3. Narrative scenarios, campaign
4. Replayability and fast paced that keeps both players changing turns
5. you can personally expand it with vehicles and new figures
You should purchase the base set, it provides you with all the rules, scenarios and 500 points teams.
You could create new terrain models and adjust rules that are already provided in the rulebook.

I find solo expansion figures a bit pricey. I think that is a big problem since purchasing new official material needs lots of money. Stay away if you expect complexity and that you can easily purchase new figures or vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.