War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: How do you guys use Elrond? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my games, Lorien often gets attacked. Galadriel is almost a must-have - she brings forth a good 2 Leadership and the ability to recruit while under siege has made so Lorien practically never fell and in the end whoever plays Shadow no longer decides to even lay siege to Lorien.

However, the key reason why we bring her ASAP in all of our games is due to her ability to just permanently destroy an Eye. That ability to exhaust the major power of Nenya is just so incredibly useful we have never ever avoided it.

However - Elrond - no one has played him yet. Rivendell hasn't yet been under attack so overall his ability to make all elite units leaders in Rivendell (I don't know why it specifies "in the same region" since Elrond can never leave Rivendell?). Additionally, his ability for the ring - supposedly the most powerful of the three Elven rings - isn't all that great; in comparison to both Nenya and a good-used Narya (namely, on The North), Vilya seems to be in terms of gameplay the weakest of the three.

Do you recruit Elrond in your games and how do you use him?

P. S. Are there a lot of Combat Cards that refer to levels of Companions? It claims Galadriel and Elrond are 3-level characters for their purpose, but I can recall only 1 or 2; all of them referring to the Shadow (killing a character of the appropriate level; score 3 hits - kill the Elf Lord).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elrond is very useful for his ring affect to move the fellowship and take back the dice to use again, especially if you are short on the right dice for the move to Mordor.

Heroic death is one of the main combat cards ones that uses a companion's level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
Elrond's ability gives you an extra action that you can use whenever you want, preferably when Sauron has a stroke of bad luck.

I once used it on the last character die of the turn when Sauron had just reached 10 VPs and the Fellowship was one space from completing the Mordor track. As luck would have it, the Fellowship drew a "Stop and reveal" counter and would have lost the game. Since I had used Elrond I was able to reuse that character die and have Pippin lead a group of five elite Dwarves out of Erebor to retake Dale, dropping the dark lord down to 9 VPs and giving me one more turn that lead to a Free Peoples victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Using Vilya to keep a Character die when moving the Fellowship keeps it out of the Hunt Box, so you can move again and the move is less risky.

Also I'm hoping the next expansion might have a promo or event card that would allow you to move Elrond as part of an Army, whose Elven elites would all be leaders as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Using Vilya to keep a Character die when moving the Fellowship keeps it out of the Hunt Box, so you can move again and the move is less risky.

Also I'm hoping the next expansion might have a promo or event card that would allow you to move Elrond as part of an Army, whose Elven elites would all be leaders as well.

You mean the "siege" one?

I'm really hoping that for Saruman. There's even a lore-wise reason to do so (his little "adventure" in The Shire).
The Isengard/Evil Men player is already seriously underdeveloped when it comes to characters, having just one sole hero.

Perhaps even more than Elrond, I'd like to see Galadriel on the move - after all, she's the one that in the end brought down Dol Guldur. Aside from Saruman's little quest to the northwest, Galadriel's destruction of the Mirkwood Evil fortress isn't represented (either through cards or any other way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you first bring forth Elrond or Galadriel?

It's kind of dangerous keeping them both, due to the increased chances of rolling the Eye on their Keeper Dice.

I tend to think Galadriel's Ring is overall more useful, due to its permanent effect.

In one of our games the play against the Eyes was incredible. Galadriel used her ring to diminish Sauron's power and Aragorn had decided to gaze into the Palantir at Minas Tirith, so in the end we have eliminated three out of four standard Eye Hunt tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.