Subject: Operation Avalanche rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacio Da Riva
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Good evening!

After reading the rules I have noticed than Historical operation Avalanche cannot be recreated. Historically the allied landed next to Nápoles and Taranto, but as the rules said (13.6.3 third bullet: each landing zone must be on the same Coastline unless it consists of only one Landings marker). As the coastline is defined (fifth bullet) the historical landing is imposible (rules wise) to recreate. This is a big problem for the allies as the only LZ suitable for Avalanche are down the Italian boot or far away from Sicily air cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrodvitnir wrote:
Good evening!

After reading the rules I have noticed than Historical operation Avalanche cannot be recreated. Historically the allied landed next to Nápoles and Taranto, but as the rules said (13.6.3 third bullet: each landing zone must be on the same Coastline unless it consists of only one Landings marker). As the coastline is defined (fifth bullet) the historical landing is imposible (rules wise) to recreate. This is a big problem for the allies as the only LZ suitable for Avalanche are down the Italian boot or far away from Sicily air cover.

This is incorrect, it is allowed. Rule 13.6.3 again:

First Bullet:

• He cannot invade more than two LZ during the same Game Turn.

Avalanche + Taranto = two landing Zones

Third Bullet:

• Each LZ must be on the same Coastline unless it consists of only one Landings marker.

Avalanche + Taranto = NOT on the same coast line.

BUT

Avalanche = 3 Landings marker
Taranto = Just 1 Landings marker.

So the two landings CAN be on different coastlines, as one of the landings is using only one Landings marker, BUT they have to be on the same map.

Fourth Bullet:

• Each LZ has to be located on the same Map.

Avalanche + Taranto = they are on the same map.

Fifth Bullet:

• A Coastline is defined as being reachable by water without crossing any land hexes on the same map.

Both are on different Coastlines, BUT the landing in Taranto is allowed because on the same map (4th Bullet) and of only one Landing marker (3rd Bullet).

I have even put a map under the rules, color-coding the different coastlines.

So... Again, what do we have here, Avalanche, historically, in the game:

1- A landing consisting of many landing markers around Naples, using multiple landings markers, on the (orange) coastline.

2- A landing consisiting on ONE landing marker in Taranto, in a different (green) coastline.

All this is allowed by the rules, as the Taranto landing, even if in a different coastline, consists of only ONE landing marker.

As you know, historically, there were no landing barges used in Taranto anyway, but transport ships that docked in Taranto harbour without the Italian Garrison stopping them because of the Agreed armistice; unloading the "light" British Airborne division. Any serious opposition by the Garrison would have stopped that "landing" from happening.

Thanks for your question! meeple

Edit: BTW don"t forget that the GMT "living rules" for the game are available on BGG and here: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-466-no-retreat-4-the-italian-front...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Da Riva
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome Carl! Thank you very much for the quick reply and the precisse answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrodvitnir wrote:
Awesome Carl! Thank you very much for the quick reply and the precisse answer.

Hey, my pleasure.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

BTW is seems a Spanish wargames editor is interested in reprinting some of my "No Retreat!" games. In Spanish of course! If this works out I intend to add quite a few "extras". meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Da Riva
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Hey, my pleasure.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

BTW is seems a Spanish wargames editor is interested in reprinting some of my "No Retreat!" games. In Spanish of course! If this works out I intend to add quite a few "extras". meeple

Oh, nice!

I think that I know of that editor you are talking about. To date has published some GMT games quite succesfully here in Spain.

I promised to buy some of your games Carl (including a copy of this No Retreat 4, that is fantastic)!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrodvitnir wrote:

I promised to buy some of your games Carl (including a copy of this No Retreat 4, that is fantastic)!!

Thanks!

If you have any suggestions about future game topics, feel free to tell. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.