Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Healey
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, folks! It was super fun being GotW last week, and such an honor to have been nominated by Jay. Now, it is my profound pleasure to introduce to you my successor, Pete Shirey! Pete is a great guy with one of the biggest hearts in the industry. But enough of me blathering on...here he is!

Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Megalodon360 wrote:
Hi, my name is Pete, and I have a small addiction. I have been involved in board games since I was about 5 years old, playing family style games back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Scotland Yard was the first non-traditional board game I ever played. Then, I played some Avalon Hill games until I really got into the hobby with Arkham Horror, Shadows Over Camelot, and Pirates Cove, in the early to 2000’s. Now, my collection is over 600 games, much to my wife’s dismay! I work in the industry for Cool Mini or Not, Inc., in the marketing department. I run their volunteer program. I have also delved into game design with my first game launching at Gen Con 2017 with Upper Deck titled “Shark Island”.

I am a husband to my lovely wife, Elisabeth, for 12 years, and a father of 2. I play games with my daughter who just turned 5 this year, and she really loves HABA games and anything with cool dice! My hobbies other than board games include sports (die-hard Buccaneers fan), Sharks (yes, Jaws is my favorite movie) and computer/video games (Civilization, Masters of Orion, and Madden on Xbox). If you ever see me at a show (and I go to plenty of them), please come up and say hi and talk sharks or football with me! You can’t miss me as I usually always wear some sort of shark hat!

twoblanktruthsblankandblankablanklie

Poll
Which of theses three statement about Pete Shirey is NOT TRUE?
I once locked myself in a magician’s box (the ones they saw you in half in) for over 2 hours before my mom let me out!
I once was so tired from an all night gaming session that when I got home I took a shower with my socks still on and when I tried to get in bed my wife kicked me out so I wouldn’t get the bed soaked!
For my 30th birthday I went to get a Great White Shark Tattoo on my back but the Tattoo artist used the wrong picture and it ended up being a Dolphin!
      168 answers
Poll created by SamHealey

LET THE QUESTIONS BEGIN!!!

d10-1 What's with this fascination with sharks, Pete? Explanation, please...
d10-2 What kind of game is Shark Island?
d10-3 Did you like the Sharknado movies?
d10-4 How did you come to work for Cool Mini or Not?
d10-5 Why the Buccaneers, Pete...WHY?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Kintarouji
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Pete! Enjoy your week thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Norge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Pete! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Philip
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Congrats Pete!

Do you think Jameis Winston has improved enough in his first year to make the Bucs competitive in the NFC south?

Whats your favourite game to play with your daughter?

Whats her favourite game to play with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Pete!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! They're just letting anybody become Geek of the Week nowadays.

Pete, you and I have been friends for a while now. I'm very happy for you. Enjoy your week and attention you big sexy lug you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! So, what has been the reaction of your non-gaming friend, coworkers, family, etc. when you try to explain to them being selected BGG geek of the week?

And if you haven't done it yet, please go forth and do so, then report back.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok Sam for your questions here we go:

1. When I was young we used to live behind a drive in movie theatre. One night I couldn't sleep and woke up and looked out my window to watch the movie that was playing and it was Jaws. I was scared out of my gord but fascinated. I couldn't hear anything but just the visuals kept me from going in a pool or ocean for years. Been hooked ever since.

2. It is a 1 versus all that pits hunters against a Shark that is terrorizing a local Island Town. Players will work together to find and keep the shark from terrorizing the locals while the shark is looking for opportunities to strike! It plays in 45 min to a hour and plays up to 5 players (1 Shark and up to 4 Hunters).

3. Haha well honestly there more funny comedys for me. I liked the first 2 Jaws movies (3 and 4 were just Meh), I liked Deep Blue Sea and The Shallows! But the Sharknado franchise is just light humor in my eyes and while I love sharks I thought they were just mildly amusing.

4. I was a Volunteer for Asmodee for a couple of years and worked my way into a team lead position running a 20 man demo team, CMON was at the booth next to ours and got to see me in action and they must have liked what they saw because I was offered an interview the week after the show and they hired me on the spot. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to demo which allowed me to network and make friends in the industry which I recommend to anyone wanting to work in industry to volunteer and make the most of your opportunities. It took me 4 years to break in so don't expect it to happen overnight, but if you work hard and don't give up you can do it!

5. I lived in Tampa Bay area (St.Petersburg and Clearwater) Since I was 2. I grew up with the Ugly Orange uniforms and all the bad years and also the Superbowl run in the early 2000's including the Championship in 2002!! I am a Bucs fan through and through!. When was the last time the Bears were in a Superbowl?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing? I was once kissed by a total stranger while playing a game of Pirate's Cove because I looked like her husband from behind and she didn't notice he went to the bathroom while she was on the phone. It was a bit akwerd but we all laughed afterwards and I had a funny story to tell my wife when I got home, She was not amused :-)
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)? I grew up a Spider-Man reader in the 80's and 90's but some of my favorite comics recently have been Black Panther and Silver Surfer.
If you could have one superpower what would it be? The ability to see the future! That way I could help those close to me and win the lottery a few hundred times in a row so I could help out local charities and family and friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think Jameis Winston has improved enough in his first year to make the Bucs competitive in the NFC south? I think he will be improved over last year, if he can manage his interceptions some I think he can. I have high hopes but I think we are still probably another year away from really competing but definitely on the right track!

Whats your favourite game to play with your daughter? We loves The Princess and the Pea game(forget the German name for it) from Habba, where you spin a wheel and stack pillows and matresses on a marble then put the princess meeple on top and if you knock over the stack you lose. Half way thru the game without fail we end up just building forts with the pillows or she will run and grab her toys to play with them. I think we have only played 1 full game of it, the rest are just half plays with play time at the end. But we always laugh and it is great memories :-)

Whats her favourite game to play with you? Frozen version of Trouble! She loves the little popper that rolls the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from? Gandalf is by far my favorite wizard, he would be in War of the Ring and he is just awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what has been the reaction of your non-gaming friend, coworkers, family, etc. when you try to explain to them being selected BGG geek of the week?

And if you haven't done it yet, please go forth and do so, then report back.

Well my wife texted a few of her friends and they asked for a link to better understand what it was, then they said they were happy I am doing what I love and getting recognized for it, so far all is good but I am sure I will get some weird looks when people say what is the Geek of the Week! If I do I will share them here for you all to giggle at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Pete!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Healey
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Megalodon360 wrote:
When was the last time the Bears were in a Superbowl?

UMMM...let's see here...since you asked, they have 9 league championships (the last one in 1985...but our last appearance in the Superbowl was 2006), 4 conference championships, 18 division championships (the last three being 2005, 2006, and 2010), and 26 playoff appearances.

Now, let's compare that to the Bucs, shall we? They have 1 league championship (2002), 1 conference championship (yep, you guessed it...2002), 6 division championships, and 10 playoff appearances.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats the best game you've ever only played once? War of the Ring! Played it once and loved it. Bought it and got it painted but have yet to get it to the table since , but I plan too!

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice? Fury of Dracula, another one I really enjoy but it can run long at times and you need the right group to really enjoy it!

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times? Memoir 44. I really want to play this more but have yet to find a few people who enjoy it as much as I do. Hoping to rectify this in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
Mentre su New York calavano le prime ombre della sera...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Pete, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UMMM...let's see here...since you asked, they have 9 league championships (the last one in 1985...but our last appearance in the Superbowl was 2006), 4 conference championships, 18 division championships (the last three being 2005, 2006, and 2010), and 26 playoff appearances.

Now, let's compare that to the Bucs, shall we? They have 1 league championship (2002), 1 conference championship (yep, you guessed it...2002), 6 division championships, and 10 playoff appearances.

Well of course they have more, the franchise has been around for like 97 years..... Bucs have only been around since the mid 70's! All joking aside you did start this! But I like Da Bears and am a huge Sweetness and Singeltary fan so I wish them well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one quick softball question for you before you go back to answering all of the hard-hitting difficult ones that're sure to follow:

Why is it you are so bad at Starfighter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it you are so bad at Starfighter? Well in this case I had the unfortunate circumstance of being taught by a really bad demo guy. He didn't go over all of the rules, probably so he could beat me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Megalodon360 wrote:
Why is it you are so bad at Starfighter? Well in this case I had the unfortunate circumstance of being taught by a really bad demo guy. He didn't go over all of the rules, probably so he could beat me!

Worth mentioning: I didn't teach this one to you. You learned it in the hotel either the night before or the first night of the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral Shintoist
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
1.What's your favorite/least favorite CMON game that you demoed?

2.Have you ever painted a miniature before for CMON?

3.What do you think about the topic of complexity vs. simplicity of rules in today's updated games?

4.I just had to ask. Are you a San Jose fan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you taught me as I did not play it at the hotel. You taught me during our first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1.What's your favorite/least favorite CMON game that you demoed? Favorite game so far is Blood Rage! Least favorite is probably Sedition Wars but only because I had a hard time with the rules.

2.Have you ever painted a miniature before for CMON? Yes, I painted back when I played Clan Wars and Warhammer 40k. I don't really have much time to paint now as I am very busy. With work and design and my travel schedule I do not get much time for the hobby side of gaming anymore. One day !

3.What do you think about the topic of complexity vs. simplicity of rules in today's updated games? I am all for simplification of rules as long as it doesn't dumb down the gameplay experience. I think there is a place for mainstream "gateway" games just as much as there is a place for deep strategic complex games. I think a good balance is better for everyone!

4.I just had to ask. Are you a San Jose fan? Not a fan. I am a Lightning fan, but I respect and love the San Jose Logo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Healey
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Megalodon360 wrote:

Well of course they have more, the franchise has been around for like 97 years..... Bucs have only been around since the mid 70's! All joking aside you did start this! But I like Da Bears and am a huge Sweetness and Singeltary fan so I wish them well!

Yeah, I double-checked that, since I knew it was going to come up...
Since the entrance of the Bucs, back in 1974, Da Bears have:
1 League Championship
2 Conference Championships
10 Division Championships
14 Playoff Appearances

We Bears fans don't have a whole lot to be proud about of late...just a lot of disappointment year after year. So, we kind of have to rely on these kinds of stats to make ourselves feel a little better.

Have a great week, Pete!
Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Pete and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.