$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 125.78

7,483 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » Rules

Subject: Things that were taught wrong at GenCon 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GenCon last month, Star Wars Destiny was obviously one of the big new hot games. There was always a line for a demo, mostly because FFG was handing out exclusive alt-art promo cards for Rey and Kylo Ren. I sat through a number of demos (you had to, to get both promos) and noticed by the second game that each person teaching was doing it a bit differently. I've demoed games at GenCon in the past, so I know that it's easy to forget a rule or two. But as I noticed the many different rules there were being taught wrong, I thought it would be fun to collect them all here for posterity and to maybe help people who were taught the rules wrong (if it happened to me, it probably happened to others). I'm basing the "right" rules on what was in the printed rule sheets that have since been published.


1You don't roll for initiative at the start of every round (only at the start of the game. After that, the first player each round is based on who claimed the battlefield in the previous round).

2Whoever loses initiative get two shields (not none, as I was initially taught).

3You actually get two free resources a turn. In my first demo game, when we didn't get any, I thought the expensive cards (3 or 4 resources) were pretty much impossible to use.

4You can't activate all of a character's dice in one action. Only all the dice of one type. So, you can't get a resource from one die and spend it on another die in the same action.

5When you spot a card, it has to be one of yours, not anywhere on the table.

Hope this helps!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Central Valley California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
theotherring wrote:
At GenCon last month, Star Wars Destiny was obviously one of the big new hot games. There was always a line for a demo, mostly because FFG was handing out exclusive alt-art promo cards for Rey and Kylo Ren. I sat through a number of demos (you had to, to get both promos) and noticed by the second game that each person teaching was doing it a bit differently. I've demoed games at GenCon in the past, so I know that it's easy to forget a rule or two. But as I noticed the many different rules there were being taught wrong, I thought it would be fun to collect them all here for posterity and to maybe help people who were taught the rules wrong (if it happened to me, it probably happened to others). I'm basing the "right" rules on what was in the printed rule sheets that have since been published.


1You don't roll for initiative at the start of every round (only at the start of the game. After that, the first player each round is based on who claimed the battlefield in the previous round).

2Whoever loses initiative get two shields (not none, as I was initially taught).

3You actually get two free resources a turn. In my first demo game, when we didn't get any, I thought the expensive cards (3 or 4 resources) were pretty much impossible to use.

4You can't activate all of a character's dice in one action. Only all the dice of one type. So, you can't get a resource from one die and spend it on another die in the same action.

5When you spot a card, it has to be one of yours, not anywhere on the table.

Hope this helps!


Thank you for the summary.

I attended Gencon several years ago, and the training quality of the demo staff for several major companies was less than adequate.
One would think, with the tens of thousands it costs Wizards of the Coast or FFG to go to gencon and push new systems, preparing their staff with rules and demo approach would be their utmost priority.

The exception to this experience from the videos I viewed was the team member for the FFG RuneWars Miniatures Game demo. He knew the rules really well.

Regardless, water under the bridge. These clarifications helped me a lot. Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you!
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, on Day 1 they were only letting people play about 2 or 3 turns before kicking you out and letting new people try it. Day 2 though, some of the demo tables were letting people play a full game out. While waiting to get in on one of the tables, the demo leader was letting them have unlimited shields. So the game took fooorrrreeeeevvver to finish since Kylo Ren ended up with a stack of 10+ shields. It's definitely max 3 shields.

Other mistakes weren't as bad; 1 demo guy thought once someone claimed the battlefield it just stayed with that person for the full game.

And I witnessed (and then saw it happen again in the Team Covenant video) a demo guy not understand why the F-11D Stormtrooper Rifle was in the Light Side deck (Finn), and remove it once the Light Side player drew it and asked about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the Team Covenant video, they seem to have gotten all of the bulleted points correct, because that IS how I understood those.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an awesome demo at GenCon that also got all of the points correct that you've noted.

Really looking forward to this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven T
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:


2Whoever loses initiative get two shields (not none, as I was initially taught).

Hope this helps!


Wrong. If you win the initiative roll, you decides on the battlefield (could be your opponent's if you like their battlefield ability better).

The player whose battlefield was chosen starts the game, the other player gets the two shields.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Severon wrote:
theotherring wrote:


2Whoever loses initiative get two shields (not none, as I was initially taught).

Hope this helps!


Wrong. If you win the initiative roll, you decides on the battlefield (could be your opponent's if you like their battlefield ability better).

The player whose battlefield was chosen starts the game, the other player gets the two shields.


You are correct
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Speaking of the Team Covenant video, they seem to have gotten all of the bulleted points correct, because that IS how I understood those.


Same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Barrington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:

4You can't activate all of a character's dice in one action. Only all the dice of one type. So, you can't get a resource from one die and spend it on another die in the same action.


1) To me this also begs the question once I use one dice type can I use it again?
Like if I re-roll dice and that type comes up.

2) And do I have to use all of the available dice type at once?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you!
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:
1) To me this also begs the question once I use one dice type can I use it again?
Like if I re-roll dice and that type comes up.

2) And do I have to use all of the available dice type at once?


1. Yes. You can use melee type, next action activate another character who maybe rolls some melee, next action use melee type.

2. I don't think you are forced to. The rules sheet says "you may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol". Emphasis mine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven T
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:

2. I don't think you are forced to. The rules sheet says "you may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol". Emphasis mine.


Yes, I think that is a thing they got wrong in the play through vid. The guy suggested that you had to use all the same symbols at once
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
msg tools
In the team covenant video, the demo guy repeatedly says that damage dealt through an action or ability (like Kylo Ren's one) bypasses the shields.
Based on how the rules are phrased, that doesn't look like the case to me. My feeling is that only damage defined as "unblockable", like the Lightsaber special ability, bypasses the shields.
What do you think?

Btw, I also don't like how the rules state that you "redraw until you have 5 cards in hand" at the end of the upkeep phase, and a few paragraphs later they tell you that you lose if you have no card in your hand and deck after the upkeep phase.
Probably just nitpicking, but I think it would have been clearer if they said something like "redraw until you have 5 cards in hand if able", provided that that was the intention.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
In the team covenant video, the demo guy repeatedly says that damage dealt through an action or ability (like Kylo Ren's one) bypasses the shields.
Based on how the rules are phrased, that doesn't look like the case to me. My feeling is that only damage defined as "unblockable", like the Lightsaber special ability, bypasses the shields.
What do you think?


You are correct. Only damaged defined as unblockable damage bypasses shields. I misspoke during the demo. It was my first demo of the convention after only a handful of games myself. I apologize for the error.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
msg tools
Excellent, thank you Jason!
No need to apologize, I actually came away from that video with all the basic rules clear in my head, so I think you did a very good job.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
Excellent, thank you Jason!
No need to apologize, I actually came away from that video with all the basic rules clear in my head, so I think you did a very good job.


Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.