Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to introduce this to my 6-8 Game Club that I run at my school. Here are some of the barriers I need to consider:

1. $$$ - I have a limited amount of funds. I am probably looking at $100 max to start. Over time, I may be able to add an expansion here and there.

2. Time - Game Club last about 1.5 hours. Need to be able to set-up, play, and tear down within that time frame.

3. snoreshake - The middle school gaming group is a fickle bunch. For an investment like this, I want to make sure that I have enough ships to maintain their interest (not the same battle over and over, with balance on both sides).

Some of my burning questions:

- How much would I need (is it even feasible) considering the above points?

- Can you combine ships from the Alliance and Empire to form teams?

- Would the amount I am able to purchase keep their interest?

- Would time be an issue?

- Would I need to invest in storage or would a few sets be safely stored in the boxes that they came in?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- How much would I need (is it even feasible) considering the above points?

All players at once?

Quote:
- Can you combine ships from the Alliance and Empire to form teams?

Not by official rule.

Quote:
- Would the amount I am able to purchase keep their interest?

Depends. Different pilots and build can be different in feel even in the same ships.

Quote:
- Would time be an issue?

Adjust the points per side to make it work.

Quote:
- Would I need to invest in storage or would a few sets be safely stored in the boxes that they came in?

Some tackle boxes.

Quote:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sale. Right now. This weekend:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2834

Core sets $20 for original, $16 for Force Awakens. Ships generally half off MSRPish.

Get at least one of each core set. The value is great. Extra dice, templates and so forth.

Then flesh out with a bunch of other ships.

If the kids are fans, you'll need a Millenium Falcon, possibly a SlaveI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

All players at once?

I am not sure how many can play this at once. It would probably be 1 on 1 situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finklestein wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

All players at once?

I am not sure how many can play this at once. It would probably be 1 on 1 situations.

Each will need a Core Set then for dice and templates.

Yes, you can do multiple players per team.

On the current sale, you could go get something like:

2 original core (An X and 2 TIE)
2 Force Awakens core (New style X and 2 new TIE)
1 A-wing
1 B-wing
1 TIE advanced
1 TIE interceptor

It's a fair assortment. Not huge. But it would allow 8 people playing, each choosing to build from 4 base ship types and numerous pilots and upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Finklestein wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

All players at once?

1 A-wing
1 B-wing
1 TIE advanced
1 TIE interceptor

It's a fair assortment. Not huge. But it would allow 8 people playing, each choosing to build from 4 base ship types and numerous pilots and upgrades.

After typing a long response my thumb slipped to cancel it seems. I agree with this list. A core per pair would get stale fast, so variety helps. Hopefully the kids will like it enough to invest in more and put something on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
After typing a long response my thumb slipped to cancel it seems. I agree with this list. A core per pair would get stale fast, so variety helps. Hopefully the kids will like it enough to invest in more and put something on the table.

Hate when that happens. I appreciate the advice. Seems like a cool list to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

1 A-wing
1 B-wing
1 TIE advanced
1 TIE interceptor

Awesome! Thank you so much for helping me out and pointing me to that sale. I may also have to break down and get the Millennium Falcon, as well. How could it not be a hit with the kids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finklestein wrote:
How could it not be a hit with the kids?

Yeah. Uh-huh. For the kids. OK, we'll go with that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It might be worth contacting FFG directly to see if there's anything they can do to help with the costs for an after school club they might be willing.

But getting enough ships for everyone to play all at once is a challenge. You're looking at probably $50 per player on average to build up enough ships to get a decent amount of list building options, or $20 per player for just a core set each.

Plus the cost of large enough tables (school tables not being 3'x3' very often) and mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:
It might be worth contacting FFG directly to see if there's anything they can do to help with the costs for an after school club they might be willing.

I think I will do this. I work with a truly under-served and at-risk population. While I have received a small amount of financial assistance, I am mostly scraping things together out of pocket to try and keep my growing club entertained and thriving (averaged 28 members per meeting last year, several times over 40).

thespaceinvader wrote:
Plus the cost of large enough tables (school tables not being 3'x3' very often) and mats.

I host my Game Club at our school media center (library). The tables there are at least 3X6. Are mats absolutely necessary? Can this game be played tabletop? I could also tap the ingenuity of my school's art teacher to create something.

I really appreciate the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

1 A-wing
1 B-wing
1 TIE advanced
1 TIE interceptor

I ordered this list, with the addition of the Millennium Falcon and VT-49 Decimator Expansion Packs.

The list (minus the 2 larger ships) was spot-on with the price. Again, I really appreciate the help with putting it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finklestein wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

1 A-wing
1 B-wing
1 TIE advanced
1 TIE interceptor

I ordered this list, with the addition of the Millennium Falcon and VT-49 Decimator Expansion Packs.

The list (minus the 2 larger ships) was spot-on with the price. Again, I really appreciate the help with putting it together.

As a fellow teacher I know the pain of having to buy things with your own money as the school does not have any available (my wife teaches at a low income school and has it worst than I).
Is donors choose an option for you? My wife uses the website to get everything from printer ink to a rug for her classroom. She even got her Apple TV that way. I know X-wing ships and board games are more for "fun," but if it keeps kids off the street it seems like a worthwhile use of money.
Not sure what other games you already have, but could your FLGS be a resource to "donate" games or loan out their demo games?
Best of luck with the club and the school year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:

As a fellow teacher I know the pain of having to buy things with your own money as the school does not have any available (my wife teaches at a low income school and has it worst than I).
Is donors choose an option for you? My wife uses the website to get everything from printer ink to a rug for her classroom. She even got her Apple TV that way. I know X-wing ships and board games are more for "fun," but if it keeps kids off the street it seems like a worthwhile use of money.
Not sure what other games you already have, but could your FLGS be a resource to "donate" games or loan out their demo games?
Best of luck with the club and the school year.

I am not familiar with the site you mentioned. It is certainly worth looking into.

As far as a local game store goes, I live about 25-30 minutes away from 6 different stores. I try to support the ones that I do go to. However, I do not feel completely comfortable approaching one of them. I believe that creates a sense of obligation to by me to them that I could not completely fulfill. Each offers various elements that I value in a store, though none of them offer everything I need. It's a strange situation (I would love to open a store in my town - probably having a fair client base to start, given my 800 students a year - too many unknowns that might affect my family).

I see that you teach in Maine? Everything I know about your state I have learned from Stephen King.

Thanks, again, for your advice and encouraging words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Finklestein wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:

I think I will do this. I work with a truly under-served and at-risk population. While I have received a small amount of financial assistance, I am mostly scraping things together out of pocket to try and keep my growing club entertained and thriving (averaged 28 members per meeting last year, several times over 40).

thespaceinvader wrote:

I host my Game Club at our school media center (library). The tables there are at least 3X6. Are mats absolutely necessary? Can this game be played tabletop? I could also tap the ingenuity of my school's art teacher to create something.

I really appreciate the input.

Mats aren't essential but you do need to demark a 3'x3' area somehow. I use masking tape when I play at home, I don't own a mat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many kids are showing up to the club? If its 6 or under I would strongly recommend trying out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster for a week or two to mix things up. They all work as a team, and you could help be the "imperial" player (which is entirely not required, but will speed things along)

Not to mention you probably have all the materials at the school to assemble it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
How many kids are showing up to the club? If its 6 or under I would strongly recommend trying out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster for a week or two to mix things up. They all work as a team, and you could help be the "imperial" player (which is entirely not required, but will speed things along)

Not to mention you probably have all the materials at the school to assemble it

I wondered if stuff like this was out there. Very cool. My first meeting this year is the 21st of September.

Last year, I averaged 28 students per meeting. A few meetings should allow me to sift through the serious players for this game. I will have to see if there is interest for a campaign after they have the basics down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please report back as to how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.