24% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate has been dominating the table for the last couple of weeks but today we had a bit more time so after the obligatory game of Food Chain Magnate my esteemed opponents agreed to indulge me in a game of Snowdonia (despite my hat trick of wins at Food Chain Magnate) so that I could try out the new "engine" Tony had designed for me

For the story of how it came about see Expansion possibility?

We picked Mrs Larkin's washing machine and 5 other random engines for our 3p game.
The game started with some foggy weather and occasional sunshine so we set about grabbing a few early contracts and stocking up on resources while waiting for the fog to clear. A few white cubes came out quite early so no one went for an engine before the maintenance came out. I managed to get start player the turn before it did so had first dibs on engines, so of course I chose Mrs Larkin's washing machine. Martin had grabbed the other build spot so grabbed a second engine plumping for Ivor

I took advantage of Mrs Larkin's washing machine on the next turn to "distract" one of Howards workers leaving him with the choice of spening his only remaining action to get an engine or doing something else and mising out on an engine for another turn.
Howard went for Jimmy and the Little Old Engine

I used Mrs Larkin's washing machine again to keep one of Martins workers in the pub so I could grab more rubble and unusually for Snowdon most of the rest of the game stayed sunny nullifying Martin and Howards engines benefits.
I managed to get a key contract on the penultimate turn as neither of the others spotted what it was worth to me and as it had turned rainy for that last turn finally the surveyors got some action for a couple of paltry points.

So finally it came to totting up the points and that extra contact gave me the win by 8 points.

So verdict on Mrs Larkin's washing machine, not necessarily the best engine option depending on how the game is going but an interesting option that can be worthwhile when the conditions are right.

Oh, and I can’t say how cool it is to have my own card (or my wifes!). Thanks again Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
Mrs Larkin's not necessarily the best but an interesting option that can be worthwhile when the conditions are right.

Did I read that right? wow

(Many apologies in advance!)

Nice session/review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to imagine someone fairly new to the hobby. Friends introduce him to Ticket To Ride. He finds out about BGG, lurks for a while until he figures out how to search for things, and thinks, "That train game was fun. I wonder if I can find other games about trains?" Snowdonia comes up on the rader, seems well received, so he finds an online megastore, orders a copy, gets it home, plays it a few times, likes it a lot. Then he comes here to the Snowdonia forum, and reads a post about "Jimmy's" train, "Ivor" (?!) and someone's washing machine (???!!), and starts looking under the box insert to see if he's missing half of the game.

For me, it's stuff like this that really makes this hobby remarkable - the involvement of designers who have so much passion for their work, and bring so much intelligence and wit to their games.

Thanks to Tony, and all the other designers and players who can turn board games into inside jokes (and sometimes even better games in the process.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Zark wrote:
Mrs Larkin's not necessarily the best but an interesting option that can be worthwhile when the conditions are right.

Did I read that right? wow

(Many apologies in advance!)

Nice session/review.

Obviously Mrs Larkin is the best, but in terms of game play her Washing Machine may get outdone by one of the other Engines, for example if it had been foggy a lot of the time Ivor would have been the better bet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.