Subject: top 100 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're there! And well-deserved. I predicted this in October 2015, and I am glad to have found it nestled on 99 today. One of my most favourite games of all time

Congrats, Vital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I was worried it wouldn't make it due to the game weight and people's insistence on Eagle Gryphon being the embodiment of all evil.

The aesthetics, game flow, and resource management make this one of my only two "10" rated games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero Cabral
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, awesome game! My favorite of all time! Well deserved, Vital!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Westfall
United States
East Wakefield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo. Nice to see. This is definitely on of my top games, finally getting it the table a few times in 2016. Great graphic art design, great game play. With only 2000-ish ratings and already hitting the top 100, this thing will only keep trickling upwards, I assume... big gap between Geek Rating and Avg Rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
... I am glad to have found it nestled on 99 today.

As of the 5th September it is 98! I adore this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
Please excuse my question as a newbie, but why is this with average rating 8.12 from 2308 users ranked much higher than Forbidden Stars with the same average from 2446 users (rank 98 compared to 108)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Affensohn wrote:
Please excuse my question as a newbie, but why is this with average rating 8.12 from 2308 users ranked much higher than Forbidden Stars with the same average from 2446 users (rank 98 compared to 108)?
It might be because there is more agreement in ratings, so a smaller spread. (But that's just a guess)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news! Congratulations Vital!

Parabéns e bem merecido!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Affensohn wrote:
It might be because there is more agreement in ratings, so a smaller spread. (But that's just a guess)

Also, while I don't understand the fuzzy math the geek rating uses, the output places them within a hairbreadth of eachother (~7.4 to 7.39). There just seems to be a lot of games right in this range, so very small numerical adjustments will result in larger ranking movements. In reality, these two are pretty much side-by-side with very minor differences determining which is on top (which could even relate to how recent the ratings are, which is not as easy to see).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
badge
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
mbmbmbmbmb
Affensohn wrote:

There is an algorith to prevent games with few good ratings going to the top.
You can see more infos here: BoardGameGeek FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
JoergBoerg wrote:
Affensohn wrote:

Thanks, but in the FAQ it says: "usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes." As Forbidden Stars still has a higher number of voters, I guess the order might be due to rounding issues regarding the average rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
Affensohn wrote:
JoergBoerg wrote:
Affensohn wrote:

Thanks, but in the FAQ it says: "usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes." As Forbidden Stars still has a higher number of voters, I guess the order might be due to rounding issues regarding the average rating.

Nope. Also cannot be true:

Gallerist 8.11 by 2,378 = 7.415
Forbidden Stars 8.12 by 2,533 = 7.404

Higher by more equals lower???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as someone mentioned above, the explanation might be standard deviation. The Gallerist's is lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
Shmello50 wrote:
Well, as someone mentioned above, the explanation might be standard deviation. The Gallerist's is lower.

Thank you, the FAQ doesn't mention it. And the stats to this effect seem to be broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.