Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Murphy
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll basically be copying this from an Imgur post I made: http://imgur.com/gallery/L2oPh

The completed box, with lots more room for other expansions too! Everything is actually really stable when it's all closed.

A little background:First got APEX a couple years ago, and I absolutely love it. It's a Deck Builder with a challenging balance of damage control and spending enough on the right things. Many people compare it to Legendary, which I've never played. I found it a smoother and better game experience than Sentinels of the Multiverse, which I have played. And I love dinosaurs, which informs my opinion.

This whole setup was pretty cheap to do because I have a glue stick, paper, and some cardboard just sitting around. I'm sure if you were inclined you could use this idea for any number of other tabletop card games. There boxes are normally $7 but they're on sale right now for like $3.

To the creator, HH, if you're reading this, first, thank you again for a visually stunning and strategically challenging game. However, if you choose to make future games, please have some of us or another team proofread all your cards. There were many in games instances where ambiguity and confusion slaughtered our game experience. And unfortunately with this release, as well as the first, there were typos which could have easily been caught before printing.

So, here was the problem. The old game (the little box to the left and inside the bigger box), which barely fit in it's original I box, and the content from the new game. No chance in hell they were all going to live together in that old box.

First things first, I measured my cards, and estimated the total size I would need. I found this box which was a little larger than I wanted, but figured it would accomidate everything best.

I needed to make dividers. And I wanted them to be of fair quality. Fortunately to make good dividers you don't need brand new cardboard. I used this old section from a repurposed book shelf back.

I originally thought I could just bend the sections, here is a test run on that concept.

So I scored the lines with my trusty craft knife.

But unfortunately, when bent they quickly broke apart.

The solution? Gluing together the sections and small strips of paper.

Here's how your make a convex side: Lay the sections next to each other, apply glue to the proper side of all pieces. Then while the glue is still wet, bent the section in the direction you want it.

It makes a nice rounded edge

Bend the opposite way for the other angles.

When unfolded, they look pretty terrible.

But they're magic in the box.

Once those were done the outside began to look pretty plain. I had an extra rulebook from the first edition and I thought, "Why just throw it away when I can..."

"... use it to decorate my new box!"

This is my favorite part, the T-Rex peaking out from the nameplate. Hope this inspires you to DIY a game box of your own. Thanks for checking out my project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic. Love the Rex popping out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you say... glue stick?

Man, always go the rubber cement dry mount method.

Neat to see your process, though I realized the card boxes are there to prevent cards slipping through the space at the ends of the dividers. Adding wings to the ends as opposed to the bottoms would have fixed that.

3 bucks, eh? Might need to go check out some of these boxes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.