Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting this game but I'm not quite sure. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play cthulhu wars yet so I don't have that as a reference point. The game looks solid in terms of gameplay quality, and certainly the miniatures are huge but I'm not sure if it can justify the $450 price tag (I have a bit of a completionist ocd tendency to me and if I go for the lower options, I'll just feel incomplete, it's all or nothing for me). The miniatures are huge, but the quality looks only decent , more fantasy flight in detail then CMON. The gameplay looks good but not top 50 BGG good. So basically what I'm asking for is a little reassurance if it's warranted or for someone to tell me if it isn't worth it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of in the same place as you. Such a high price to have a complete set, and I'm not sure I have the room for that much game. It sounds like some people are really liking it and others are "meh," which is pretty normal for a game. However, it's not a $65 game to see if you like it or not.

I'm starting to think it might be a little too complicated for my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes? Buy it all. So they get more funding and more stretch goals and we keep getting good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Healy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:

In case it helps: My friend, Ian, played it with his 14-year-old son and said they had no trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Desferous wrote:
I'm kind of in the same place as you. Such a high price to have a complete set, and I'm not sure I have the room for that much game. It sounds like some people are really liking it and others are "meh," which is pretty normal for a game. However, it's not a $65 game to see if you like it or not.

This is exactly my concern. If a game is non-kickstarter I have plenty of reviews to check out of the final product to determine if it's worth the price or not. If it is on kickstarter but from a company that puts out a lot of high quality content like CMON or is priced low enough to risk backing I'll do it no problem. But this is a game where I don't have a wide range of unbiased reviews to choose from, is from a company that hasn't put out a large number of universally acclaimed games and has a price too high to risk it being bad. I'm just not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that they'll keep the pledge manager open for a while afterwards, so you don't need to go all in now. Here's my recommended 3-step process for gradually committing your wallet to The Gods' War:
Step 1) Today, pledge $125 for Warrior, which includes the base game
Step 2) The last day, bump it up to $240 for Lesser God, which adds the Empires expansion (4 for Empires, plus the 6-8 player map)
Step 3) A month or two after the campaign, when your wallet has recovered from the shock, add that last little but to reach the $450 Hero pledge (which adds the the Monsters, Races, Plastic Buildings, and other bling)

It might also be good to try and find someone local with a copy of Cthulhu Wars, so you can give that a shot. Pictures and videos don't do it justice, and it's easily a top 100 game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kennelly
msg tools
mb
So,full disclosure, I own Cthulhu Wars and am currently all in on Gods' War.

The basic system that underlies both these games is super simple, so they are easy to learn, but the wildly asymmetric factions make every game very distinct and the strategy far deeper than the relatively straightforward mechanics may make you think.

In isolation of the awesome minis the game is objectively amazing, but yes the elephant in the room - it is expensive. On one hand it then really stands out and gets people engaged in a way a game with little mashed up plastic minis or tokens won't, but worst case you get the game, don't like it, and can most likely sell it for 2x what you paid in the kickstarter.

I don't think not liking it will be a problem though - this game is a refinement on the excellent Cthulhu Wars and it's a game that just magically makes it to the table all the time and will suck in even non gamers because of the immediacy brought by the massive game pieces and dramatically large map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Marchante
Spain
Algeciras
Cádiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only say this is the most expensive game I've pledged for, but I have no regrets. I think I deserve a deluxe item in my collection, and everything I've been seeing/reading about this game seems awesome.

In the end, it's a very personal decision, but I completely trust in Sandy Petersen, the guy behind so many amazing games over the years (Call of Cthulhu, Age of Empires, Doom).

In addition, I think this game will have a high resale value, so not much will be lost in case you don't like it (I personally find that unlikely).

Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kennelly
msg tools
mb
OK,selling for 2x what you paid is an exaggeration, but it is unlikely the addons will see retail for a long time if ever so they will retain their value very well / demand good prices, and if Cthulhu Wars is anything to go by the base game will be a lot more expensive in retail.

I still don't think those will be issues you'll have, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
gamerfry wrote:
The miniatures are huge, but the quality looks only decent , more fantasy flight in detail then CMON. The gameplay looks good but not top 50 BGG good.

The miniatures are even bigger than you think. They look smaller in pictures somehow. They also are pretty detailed wich is not easy to see on blurry screenshots of the unpainted minis. Look for pictures of the painted ones if you want to really see the details.

As for the gampeplay this is a very assymetric, light wargame with strong elements of area control, building and diplomacy. Its core mechanics are very simple, yet they interact in a deceptively deep way.

But really the final deal is that its set in the mythic world of Glorantha. This is not just some generic fantasy setting or a simple rehash of old pagan pantheons. This is a very detailed world with its own original and intricate mythology. It has a very unique feel to it wich you can now experience trough Gods War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Decarcassor wrote:
gamerfry wrote:
The miniatures are huge, but the quality looks only decent , more fantasy flight in detail then CMON. The gameplay looks good but not top 50 BGG good.

The miniatures are even bigger than you think. They look smaller in pictures somehow. They also are pretty detailed wich is not easy to see on blurry screenshots of the unpainted minis. Look for pictures of the painted ones if you want to really see the details.

As for the gampeplay this is a very assymetric, light wargame with strong elements of area control, building and diplomacy. Its core mechanics are very simple, yet they interact in a deceptively deep way.

But really the final deal is that its set in the mythic world of Glorantha. This is not just some generic fantasy setting or a simple rehash of old pagan pantheons. This is a very detailed world with its own original and intricate mythology. It has a very unique feel to it wich you can now experience trough Gods War.

So as someone that had never heard of Glorantha before this, and does not see it as a benefit, would you still recommend it to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerfry wrote:
... to determine if it's worth the price or not.
If it is on kickstarter ....
...is from a company that hasn't put out a large number of universally acclaimed games ....
.... So basically what I'm asking for is a little reassurance if it's warranted or
for someone to tell me if it isn't worth it.
Thanks!

Well, I think it's worth re-mentioning that:
although Peterson Games is a relatively new entity (with only 4-5 games on the market),
Sandy Petersen as a designer has beaucoup street-cred.
To Wit:

Video Games
Sid Meier's Pirates! (1989)
Civilization (1991)
Lightspeed (1990)
Hyperspeed (1991)
Darklands (1992)
DOOM (1993)
Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994)
The Ultimate DOOM (1995)
Quake (1996)
Hexen: Beyond Heretic (1996)
Final DOOM (1997)
Age of Empires (1997)
Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome (1998)
Age of Empires II (1999)
Age of Empires II: The Conquerers (2000)
Age of Empires III (2005)
Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs (2006)
Halo Wars (2009)
Osiris Legends (2011)
Role-Playing Games
Call of Cthulhu (1981)
ElfQuest (1984)
Board Games
Cthulhu Wars (2015)
Films
The Whisperer In Darkness (2011)

So if that isn't a little reassurance, I'm not sure what would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
gamerfry wrote:
So as someone that had never heard of Glorantha before this, and does not see it as a benefit, would you still recommend it to me?

Of course. You don't need to know anything about Glorantha to play Gods War. My point is that its based on an original mythology rather than being generic mythology 101. This help the game stand out as something more unique and interesting compared to the hundreds of games who allready use greek/egyptian/norse mythology for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Decarcassor wrote:
gamerfry wrote:

Of course. You don't need to know anything about Glorantha to play Gods War. My point is that its based on an original mythology rather than being generic mythology 101. This help the game stand out as something more unique and interesting compared to the hundreds of games who allready use greek/egyptian/norse mythology for instance.

Ah bon. C'est assez intéressant. Recommanderiez-vous lire une partie de la mythologie Glorantha? La version $450 comprend une grande quantité de PDF, donc je vais certainement avoir le matériel à lire haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know a thing about Glorantha aside from what's in the KS campaign. The setting seems interesting, but I'm more excited about the game, being a huge KS fan. I'm going to do the installment plan route. I can't afford $450 all at once. Just can't. So $125, or $240 if I can (that's where I am now but I'm not 100% sure I can stay there), and put in the rest later. I'd rather contribute to stretch goals more fully but just can't do it at the moment, and I'm not going to spoof the total by pledging the full amount when I know I'm going to bring it down later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Wait are we doing this in French now ?

Oui je t'encourage a lire le fabuleux Guide to Glorantha si tu es curieux d'en apprendre plus sur cet univers. Mais une fois encore ça n'a rien d'obligatoire pour profiter pleinement du jeu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Boddice
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is less of a problem for me, it's more that it's for 3+ players and I regularly game in a group of 2.

If Sandy made the game 2-player compatible that would make a difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Decarcassor wrote:
Wait are we doing this in French now ?

Oui je t'encourage a lire le fabuleux Guide to Glorantha si tu es curieux d'en apprendre plus sur cet univers. Mais une fois encore ça n'a rien d'obligatoire pour profiter pleinement du jeu.

Oh wow I butchered that question, it should have been "Recommandez-vous que je lis une partie de la mythologie?" haha it's been a while since I've had an opportunity to use my french so I thought I'd give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As an owner of CW, I'm all in one this one. I love CW and have no doubts this one will be up there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerfry wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting this game but I'm not quite sure. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play cthulhu wars yet so I don't have that as a reference point. The game looks solid in terms of gameplay quality, and certainly the miniatures are huge but I'm not sure if it can justify the $450 price tag (I have a bit of a completionist ocd tendency to me and if I go for the lower options, I'll just feel incomplete, it's all or nothing for me). The miniatures are huge, but the quality looks only decent , more fantasy flight in detail then CMON. The gameplay looks good but not top 50 BGG good. So basically what I'm asking for is a little reassurance if it's warranted or for someone to tell me if it isn't worth it. Thanks!

Both Cthulhu Wars and Glorantha The Gods War are 'top 10' good. They are the most asymmetrical boardgames created in decades. Nothing from CMON, Fantasy Flight, or Stonemaier comes into the same tier as either of these games.
IMHO of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said, while Petersen Games is relatively new, Sandy Petersen has a resume that I think puts him clearly in the upper echelon for RPGs (Call of Cthulhu) and Video Games (Civilization, Doom, Quake, Age of Empires, Halo Wars).

Cthulhu Wars has been a big hit with our group. One thing to consider is the cost of getting everything later, if you can.

If you missed the Kickstarters for CW (Original De Vermis Mysterius level, Onslaught 2 Million Favored Ones, Richard Luong's Hound of Tindalos + Buffthulhu) it would be extremely costly to put it all together now.

I suspect God's War will follow a similar economic pathway.

If you plan to go all or nothing, really the Kickstarter is the only way, and I would highly recommend doing the Print & Play that is offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerfry wrote:
Decarcassor wrote:
gamerfry wrote:

I've heard of it, but I'm not familiar with it. As the Kickstarter has evolved I've learned a bit of the mythology and it seems pretty cool in that it seems to have ties to many World mythologies.

As someone unfamiliar with Glorantha it does appear to have the rich detail that many say, and it looks like the game does justice to the theme. I think that will come across in gameplay like it does with Cthulhu Wars and the Cthulhu mythology that started with Lovecraft, but has been contributed to by many, many others including Sandy Petersen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yup, it's a great game. As stated already, Sandy Petersen has a great resumé (and the popularity of Cthulhu Wars, in the 200s on this site; astounding given how many people skipped it over because of the price).

Petersen Games have a small enough production cycle for their big box games that they can become quite rare on the secondary market. While the core game might not be to hard to get, the expansions will be, and they'll easily sell for a profit. This means that even if it does end up not being a match for you and your family, it's an easy sell.

But even then, despite the faction strategies perhaps being a bit harder to grok than Cthulhu Wars, the rules are still quite streamlined and simple. So it's not a hard game to teach, at any rate.

Oh, and Cthulhu Wars is my favourite game ever, Gods War is just as good, and I know very little about Lovecraft and Glorantha. (I learnt this campaign that Cthulhu got hit by a boat once, apparently.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford it, go for it. Although, it's a lot for a boardgame - you've got to ask yourself will you get the plays out of it. I think it's over-produced and overly expensive, but I might be willing to drop $450 for the right project myself. My past KS pledges for games like Arcade Quest, Bloodrage and Mare Nostrum have been nowhere near that sum. The one KS that tempted me semi-seriously, that was up with Glorantha at the higher pledge levels, was Conan because I'm a huge fan of the RE Howard books and the fictional world of Hyboria he created. In the end it wasn't the style of game that I wanted so I didn't back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 2 cents...

Back at 2013, When the first CW kickstarter project started, I drooled over the minis, but declared to all that no board game is worth 150$, let alone the full package at 525$, and I didn't pledged. After the campaign has ended with mind blowing success, I was intrigued. All of the rules and faction information was available online, so I cobbled up a P&P of my own, printed out a huge map and used Miniatures from different board games and table top games to get the right feel of size (cthulhu was proxied with a bloodthrister of khorne, for example). After ONE play, I was completely hooked, my mind was blowing with possibilities to do that, and play that way, and all of this thinking was relevant to only one faction!!! The game play was so quick and intense, the different factions were so characterful that I realized that this was the best war game design and implementation I have ever seen. I immediately made a late pledge. My group was enthused as much as I was, and we played that P&P alone for over 50 times, until I got the base game, and a year later, the expansions. We have over 100 games played, and we still want more, on how many games do you think you can say that?

CW is an amazing game, easily worth its investment if you are into asymmetrical area control board games. The only thing that keeps it from being on the top 10 games in BGG is its price point, but it has no relevance on how good the gameplay is.

I can tell you that the game is easy enough to teach that my 6 and 8 year old daughters playing it effortlessly, known by heart all of the spell books and requirements of all the factions (this is quite a feat, as English is not my primary language), when I asked them how they remember it all, they told me that the requirements just make sense for each faction.

So, judging from the P&P of god's war, it is no less than CW in terms of game play and components, and if you have the financial capacity to purchase it, you will probably won't regret buying this king of a game.

That was a little more than 2 cents :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.