Support:

Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

So my boyfriend and I just completed the Poison Pill adventure, and I have a question or two.

EDIT: All answered! Thanks!

1: When you make your character deck at the start of each game, what do you do with the extra cards? From the rules it seems like you throw them back into the box, but I wasn't sure about that. It seems weird if you do that because you can very easily start a game with not enough cards.

2: There are different types of damage. Right? But what exactly is combat damage? Is it only when you lose the check and suffer the difference? I think there was an archer that dealt damage upon encountering, but I don't know if that was also Combat damage in addition to whatever it said. (I wish I had it with me. Hopefully the question is clear enough.)

2.1: When you take 1d4-1 damage, is it possible for that total to be 0, or do you always take at least one damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard. I hope you checked out the Adventure Guide for the game which provides the complete story for Rise of the Runelords.

1.) The extra cards go back in the box. If you don't have enough cards of a specific type, you're allowed to take the Adventure Deck # - 2 level cards to make up the difference.

Intro Basic
Deck 1 Basic
Deck 2 Basic
Deck 3 Level 1 or Basic
Deck 4 Level 2 and below
Deck 5 Level 3 and below
Deck 6 Level 4 and below

2.) Combat damage is damage arising from combat. Other types of damage will be specifically called out by a card; for example, 1d4 Fire damage. The damage type mitigated by armor, spells, or items has to match in order to use that card. So armor that reduces combat damage by 2 can't be used to protect against fire damage. If the damage type isn't specified it works against all damage.

Good luck with your adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops I see there were two "second" questions. Yes it's possible to suffer zero damage when the roll is 1D4-1; the damage was supposed to be 0-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answers are in A Guide For New Players, which I recommend. I also recommend the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide v1.68, to fill in the story and flavor of the campaign.

Briefly, here are the answers as I understand them:

Yes, cards that you don't use to rebuild your decks go back in the box. What problem do you think that would cause?

Combat damage is what you take if you fail to defeat a monster, unless it says otherwise. (I'm not sure that's exactly precise, but should be close enough most of the time.)

Yes, you can end up taking 0 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters have one or more checks to defeat.

If your roll on a check to defeat a monster is less than the difficulty of the check, you are dealt the difference in Combat damage (always), unless something tells you otherwise.

This is true even if the check to defeat was not a Combat check (say it was a Dexterity check).

Note that failing to defeat a barrier does NOT do any damage at all, except as explicitly specified by the barrier.

Damage dealt to you before you act or after you act will always specify a type. Ranged Combat damage is Combat damage. If the type doesn't say Combat, it isn't Combat damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:

1.) The extra cards go back in the box. If you don't have enough cards of a specific type, you're allowed to take the Adventure Deck # - 2 level cards from the box to make up the difference.

Intro Basic
Deck 1 Basic
Deck 2 Basic
Deck 3 Level 1 and below
Deck 4 Level 2 and below
Deck 5 Level 3 and below
Deck 6 Level 4 and below

I've amended this above. While a card added in Adventures 1 and 2 has to not only have a B/C/P indicator, but also has to have the Basic trait, that's not true in Adventure 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.