Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Basic question about flying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,
I've been playing Descent for a long time, but I still have a basic confusion.

How do flying figures interact with obstacles? Based solely on the definition in the "Sea of Blood" rulebook, I so far assumed that flying figures ignore three things: a) movement blockage, b) movement point costs beyond the usual 1 MP, c) wounds, fatigue, and effect tokens. Otherwise, the figure obeys the effects of obstacles (but not traps). In a dungeon they can't fly high enough to avoid terrain entirely.

This makes sense for most obstacles (i.e. what the fliers would "expect" to do): they ignore lava, still blocked by fog, can still use beds/tables/trees/etc.

The only weird obstacle as a result of this interpretation is a pit. It seems a flying figure is "in" a pit all the time, instead of being able to go over it, which is a problem for ranged fliers trying to attack from a pit space restricting their LOS. We're thinking a flier should for the sake of simplicity ignore pits at all times. This to us seems best since you can't actually hide in a pit, except from boulders if I recall correctly.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Núñez
msg tools
Hi!

I don't remember reading anything about ignoring wounds or effect tokens, nevertheless, regarding pits, we decided in my game team that fliers should ignore pits except when they are pushed back by Knockback ability.

With knockback we can throw a flier into a pit damaging him and making him spend two movements points to go out.

Regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would read the rulebook, and the FAQ. Reading the SoB book can be a bit confusing, because it deals with Deep Water, which is different from Water found in dungeons.

I don't understand your interpretation without some examples of what you are trying to explain.

A flying figure ignores the pit if that is what you are asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks, guys...let me just elaborate.

We basically were confused as to whether flying means you ignore obstacles completely. I argued that you ignore obstacles with Soar, but not Fly, just because you can think of many situations where a flier would want to take advantage of terrain, even inside a dungeon (e.g. a bed, table) or where the terrain just didn't seem to be designed to be ignored (e.g. fog).

So that's really my first question - if fliers ignore terrain entirely (I think they still must respect terrain somwehat). So then my question became what do they ignore? That's when I went to the rulebook...

Figures with the Flying ability may move through enemy figures and obstacles as if they weren’t there. However, flying figures cannot end their movement in a space containing another figure, or an obstacle that blocks movement. A flying figure may end its turn in a space containing an obstacle that inflicts damage without suffering damage or effects from that obstacle.

The two bolded parts focus on the things I think flying should ignore, namely movement costs and wounds/effects.

If you ignore movement costs, then you spend just 1MP to move through everything, but you can still utilize trees, beds, tables, etc., while still being bound by fog,corrupted spaces, and the like.

If you ignore wounds and effect tokens, then you can fly over lava.

I think this makes sense for pretty much every obstacle in the game except for pits, since a flier wouldn't really want to be forced inside a pit just by being on it. So maybe pits should be optional? Mark it with a token if inside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.