Subject: Getting the early fertile soil cards prevails rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a game that I was looking forward to out of Don’s shipment of games that arrived. Don had read the rules and was able to explain the game quickly to us. Player order was Don, myself, Gary and Trevor.

On my first turn, I had three mana. I could have bought one fertile soil, but there was a nice level 1 card for four mana, so I decided to push my luck, and a cursed land showed up, so I lost my turn and got one mana for next turn. When it came round to me, I got four mana, and I bought two fertile soil with it. These were the first fertile soil purchases of the game. I spent the next few turns buying fertile soils when I could, and I had more than anyone else

So could I turn my mana advantage into something tangible? I bought the first Dreadcoil Cobra (get 4 VP at harvest) and I think getting it early helped since during the whole game it showed up a total of 2 times to score. The extra time was about the margin of victory.

Trevor got a couple of Bear Totem (growth symbol to cancel a cursed land) which was nice. Gary was able to stick three fertile soil onto one card, leaving room for combinations on other cards. Once the decks got going, the 33 VPs got sucked out pretty quick. I got about 3 Vale cards, one of them was one that allowed me to play a growth symbol when I pushed my luck, and got my Dreadcoil Cobra out. Another Vale card gave me 1 mana per turn, and another one gave me 2 VPs

Scores:
Norbert 23 (11 VPs, 12 tableau),
Trevor 17 (6 VPs, 11 tableau),
Don 17 (8 VPs, 9 tableau),
Gary 17 ( 8 VPs, 9 tableau)

These were the cards that gave me VPs at game end. The last card cost 10 mana, and gives you a VP for every 2 cards you have in your harvest. I never did get that card into play as the game ended too quickly.

Trevor wanted to know how many fertile soils I had. I got 8 of them, Don had 4, Gary had 3 and Trevor had 3. My guess is that everyone will be snapping up the fertile soils, or other cards which generate mana (I saw some level 1 cards that gave 2 mana) the next game.

Everyone else remarked that the game felt a bit solitaire. I didn’t mind that. I can see where you just pay attention to your deck, count the mana, buy things out of the deck and the next player takes their turn. There wasn’t much interaction, but you could make the argument Dominion is like that as well. Sliding the transparent cards into the deck is different, so it was good to see that in action. I had originally thought you marked up the cards with a felt pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
Norbert Chan wrote:
This was a game that I was looking forward to out of Don’s shipment of games that arrived. Don had read the rules and was able to explain the game quickly to us. Player order was Don, myself, Gary and Trevor.

On my first turn, I had three mana. I could have bought one fertile soil, but there was a nice level 1 card for four mana, so I decided to push my luck, and a cursed land showed up, so I lost my turn and got one mana for next turn. When it came round to me, I got four mana, and I bought two fertile soil with it. These were the first fertile soil purchases of the game. I spent the next few turns buying fertile soils when I could, and I had more than anyone else

So could I turn my mana advantage into something tangible? I bought the first Dreadcoil Cobra (get 4 VP at harvest) and I think getting it early helped since during the whole game it showed up a total of 2 times to score. The extra time was about the margin of victory.

Trevor got a couple of Bear Totem (growth symbol to cancel a cursed land) which was nice. Gary was able to stick three fertile soil onto one card, leaving room for combinations on other cards. Once the decks got going, the 33 VPs got sucked out pretty quick. I got about 3 Vale cards, one of them was one that allowed me to play a growth symbol when I pushed my luck, and got my Dreadcoil Cobra out. Another Vale card gave me 1 mana per turn, and another one gave me 2 VPs

Scores:
Norbert 23 (11 VPs, 12 tableau),
Trevor 17 (6 VPs, 11 tableau),
Don 17 (8 VPs, 9 tableau),
Gary 17 ( 8 VPs, 9 tableau)

These were the cards that gave me VPs at game end. The last card cost 10 mana, and gives you a VP for every 2 cards you have in your harvest. I never did get that card into play as the game ended too quickly.

Trevor wanted to know how many fertile soils I had. I got 8 of them, Don had 4, Gary had 3 and Trevor had 3. My guess is that everyone will be snapping up the fertile soils, or other cards which generate mana (I saw some level 1 cards that gave 2 mana) the next game.

Everyone else remarked that the game felt a bit solitaire. I didn’t mind that. I can see where you just pay attention to your deck, count the mana, buy things out of the deck and the next player takes their turn. There wasn’t much interaction, but you could make the argument Dominion is like that as well. Sliding the transparent cards into the deck is different, so it was good to see that in action. I had originally thought you marked up the cards with a felt pen.

the more you push your luck especially early and mid game the higher your scores will go. Each player has 4 potential buys on their turn but until you have vale symbols half of these buys are locked. Pushing your luck to be the first to grab a card with good spirit symbols is well worth the risk as is pushing to grab a point generator card early. the first person to do either puts everyone else on the clock and in order to keep up they should start to take more risks as well.

As a point of comparison my first two player game I won with 27 points. We bought all the fertile soils, rarely pushed our luck and the game was an hour long slog. In our most recent game we bought less than half the fertile soils and she beat me 45/44 and the game took 40 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pushing your luck also helps you cycle through your deck faster, potentially getting to better cards quicker and getting to reshuffle more often. You can also cycle faster buy getting growth symbols, because you'll get more cards out per planting (on average). I saw someone use the gain 1 growth, lose 1 mana to great effect because he was getting all the growth symbols (people let him) and was able to pretty much have 2 plantings per shuffle very early in the game. This means he's going to be able to cycle through any powerful cards (spirit symbols, victory points, etc) he buys very quickly.

One of the first games I played, we lost to a guy who scored 66 points and I've talked to someone who lost to someone who scored 87 points!

I think fertile soil is very useful early game, but I'm reluctant to say getting a lot of them early is a powerful strategy.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, because i'm not great at this game or really any deck builders -- just some things I've observed or heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is very much multiplayer solitaire but the lack of interaction doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the game. I like the design, the style, the art and I feel like a good game feels almost rhythmic and musical once it gets going. And when Edge of Darkness releases, there should be plenty of interaction in that game, using the same card-crafting mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
The game is very much multiplayer solitaire but the lack of interaction doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the game. I like the design, the style, the art and I feel like a good game feels almost rhythmic and musical once it gets going. And when Edge of Darkness releases, there should be plenty of interaction in that game, using the same card-crafting mechanic.

The interaction is pretty much limited to taking cardsthat other players want or need. And that does add to the competitive feel. You can eight buy some things to stop someone else from getting card or change what you buy to counter another person's strategy. Granted... It's still subtle, but it is there.

It'd be interesting to see if they can add more player interactions without making it too 'take that'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.