Hide
6 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winning and losing after mythos - rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Muncie
msg tools
New players here. In our first few games we had a couple of crazy endings where I wasn't sure if we won or lost as both kinda happened at the same time. I'll give both scenarios and see what you guys think should have happened.

1. Met the requirements to solve mystery. Says solve after mythos phase. During mythos phase Azatoth awakens. I counted this as a lose.

2. Met requirements for mystery before drawing final mythos. Again says solve after mythos phase. However the mythos card drawn was the final card to be drawn. So I know once the cards run out games over, but after reading the card the mystery is solved. I think that one was a win.

Your guys thoughts? Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the first was a loss. You didn't make it through the Mythos phase.
I believe the rules state that you only lose on Mythos cards if you are required to draw one and there are none left so your second scenario would be a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juicebox138 wrote:
New players here. In our first few games we had a couple of crazy endings where I wasn't sure if we won or lost as both kinda happened at the same time. I'll give both scenarios and see what you guys think should have happened.

1. Met the requirements to solve mystery. Says solve after mythos phase. During mythos phase Azatoth awakens. I counted this as a lose.

2. Met requirements for mystery before drawing final mythos. Again says solve after mythos phase. However the mythos card drawn was the final card to be drawn. So I know once the cards run out games over, but after reading the card the mystery is solved. I think that one was a win.

Your guys thoughts? Thanks for any feedback.

Yes, first game was a loss and second a win. In the second case, you actually had a whole round remaining! Losing from Mythos depletion happens when you have to draw a card but can't rather than when you draw the last card. Note that when you can't draw a Mythos card, the Mythos phase immediately ends first (giving you one final chance to qualify for solving a mystery and snatch victory) then, if you haven't won, you lose.

But yes, in your case, that was still a whole round away! So definitely a victory in the second scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Are you sure they say "after Mythos Phase" and not "at the end of Mythos Phase"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Muncie
msg tools
Not sure. But not sure what the difference would be.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad I seemed to interpret those right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the FAQ if you haven't seen it: Eldritch Horror FAQ and Errata. It's super useful.

Under the Errata section, it says:

In the Reference Guide, on page 12, the fourth bullet point under “Winning/Losing” should read as follows: “If a Mythos card cannot be drawn during the Mythos Phase, the Mythos Phase ends. Then, if investigators have not won the game, investigators lose the game.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.