6,236 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
We inherit the rules of the “Contests of Life” from our fore-fathers. This is a consequence of Culture, always was and always will be true. We do, however, change them from time to time.

White Libertarians take White Privilege so for granted that they see no problem with freezing it into law again.

In America we –

Started with rules set #1 [arbitrarily set at #1]. It included in the 100 yard dash for wealth
. . 1] Whites started at the 90 yard mark.
. . 2] Native Americans started at the 5 yard mark.
. . 3] Blacks started at the 0 yard mark. [Somebody must always start at the 0 yard mark.]

Came the Civil War and we changed the rules to set #2. Now in the 100 yard dash for wealth
. . 1] Whites started at the 50 yard mark.
. . 2] Native American started at the 0 yard mark.
. . 3] Blacks started at the 10 yard mark.
. . 4] Asians started at the 10 yard mark [after they arrived in Calif.]

This continued on through the Jim Crow era. Except that Asians moved up to the 20 yard mark. Set #3.

With the coming of the Civil Right's era we got rules set #4, in the 100 yard dash for wealth
. . 1] Whites start at the 40 yard mark.
. . 2] Asians start at the 40 yard mark.
. . 3] Blacks start at the 15 yard mark.
. . 4] Native Americans start at the 0 yard mark. [This one I'm not sure about.

We again are hearing demands that Blacks are entitled to “Reparations” for slavery.
. . I agree that slavery was by far a greater evil than Jim Crow, but slavery ended 2 lifetimes ago and Jim Crow was ended just 2/3 of a lifetime ago. Getting Reparations for Jim Crow seems more fair to me. Also, slavery was almost totally a Southern responsibility, while Jim Crow was more evenly the responsibility of all parts of the nation and all but the most recent immigrants.

Reparations are an attempt to move Blacks further forward at the start of the dash. [Note: not many are talking about reparations for Native Americans. They deserve them as much or more, IMO.]

The Utopia that Libertarians want to establish seems like an attempt to freeze the rules set where it is now and maybe even roll it back some. Progressive Taxes work to hold the leaders back some so they can't use the power of compound interest to gain a bigger advantage as much and “Entitlements” & Welfare [etc.] work to push the ones at the back of the pack forward a little faster. Libertarians want to eliminate both of these “things”. It is almost as if they want the ones who start ahead to move further ahead and the ones who start behind to fall further behind.

Also, the Libertarian Utopia is only a Utopia for the leaders, for those back in the pack it is a Dis-utopia.
. . It would [as I explained in a thread here elsewhere] only work for hunters and gatherers, or maybe for a nation so wealthy that anyone could move to empty cities with factories, housing, and infrastructure, etc [just laying empty] and start over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs more references to Dominionism. No gaudy colors. Also, thoughts are original and not copypasta'd from articles. Would give a 1/10 but the sense of smug superiority (unmerited) saves it.

Shreve-scale: 3/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Needs more references to Dominionism. No gaudy colors. Also, thoughts are original and not copypasta'd from articles. Would give a 1/10 but the sense of smug superiority (unmerited) saves it.

In what alternate universe were you raised in. Do Libertarians and Dominionists go together in that universe?

Did I insult you some time ago? Or, maybe you are a Libertarian.
Is that why you can't put me down enough to make you happy?
. . You remind me of my older brother who told me on his death bed [at age 42, having drunk himself to death] that he had hated me from the day I was born because I stole his mother away from him.
I hope that you are getting enough giggles out of your attacks on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
White Libertarians take White Privilege so for granted that they see no problem with freezing it into law again.

Thanks for the lulz !
Do black libertarians take white privileged for for granted or are they just CrayCray ?

This post needs to be nominated for the white savior complex post of the year, kudos !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reparations are pointless as a concept. They assume some specific set of treasure, distributed properly, will simoly wipe away the legwcy of slavery and repression. Not only is it a flawed notion in a social sense, it's also a cheap method to escape history, like declsring rscism 'over' because we elected a black president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

In what alternate universe were you raised in. Do Libertarians and Dominionists go together in that universe?

. . You remind me of my older brother who told me on his death bed [at age 42, having drunk himself to death] that he had hated me from the day I was born because I stole his mother away from him.

I was about to say you hadn't insulted me, but as I thought about it, I realized that you insult my intelligence. Every time you spout off with this kind of stuff. It's painful to read.

Most things you spew are painful to read. If I recall, you said you are seventy. But you let this tiny thing about Democrat/Democratic rile you up into the immature fury of a kid who gets teased on the playground over his hair. I can sense the spittle foaming at your mouth as you type. So when you ask if I get giggles out of attacking you, the answer is no. I get giggles out of reading your rants. What I type in response... that is the typed form of me giggling, having fun at your expense.

But since you will fall back on some sort of "You only laugh because you can't respond," let me respond. Put a dollar value on it. How much should be given? And how should it be given? Should it be used to upgrade and spruce up neighborhoods that are deemed "primarily African-American?" Or do we just cut a check and mail it off? How do we collect the money for reparations without having it come from their own pockets? Create a "white" tax? Or a "white and Asian" tax since them damn Asians decided not to remain disadvantaged?

So here's what I would like to hear: it's not possible to have everything brought into balance in five years. It would take longer than that. But what is the goal for where we would be in five years? Go back to that Lego race track you built, and move the white, Asian, African-American, and Native American Lego people back and forth, gauging with the exact precision of someone who spent too much time coming up with juuuuuuust the precise numbers for his wretched analogy. Move them back and forth, stand back, scratch your neckbeard, then move them just a peg. Repeat the process for a few hours. And then, when you're done, tell us where Polynesians started and where they should be. And those from India. Or do they could as Asian? I need to know if we are meeting our starting line goals for five years from now. Tell me where the starting lines are.

Oh, and I hate to tell you, but jarred stole your mom from both you and your brother. He does that a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I was about to say you hadn't insulted me, but as I thought about it, I realized that you insult my intelligence. Every time you spout off with this kind of stuff. It's painful to read.

Most things you spew are painful to read. If I recall, you said you are seventy. But you let this tiny thing about Democrat/Democratic rile you up into the immature fury of a kid who gets teased on the playground over his hair. I can sense the spittle foaming at your mouth as you type. So when you ask if I get giggles out of attacking you, the answer is no. I get giggles out of reading your rants. What I type in response... that is the typed form of me giggling, having fun at your expense.

But since you will fall back on some sort of "You only laugh because you can't respond," let me respond. Put a dollar value on it. How much should be given? And how should it be given? Should it be used to upgrade and spruce up neighborhoods that are deemed "primarily African-American?" Or do we just cut a check and mail it off? How do we collect the money for reparations without having it come from their own pockets? Create a "white" tax? Or a "white and Asian" tax since them damn Asians decided not to remain disadvantaged?

So here's what I would like to hear: it's not possible to have everything brought into balance in five years. It would take longer than that. But what is the goal for where we would be in five years? Go back to that Lego race track you built, and move the white, Asian, African-American, and Native American Lego people back and forth, gauging with the exact precision of someone who spent too much time coming up with juuuuuuust the precise numbers for his wretched analogy. Move them back and forth, stand back, scratch your neckbeard, then move them just a peg. Repeat the process for a few hours. And then, when you're done, tell us where Polynesians started and where they should be. And those from India. Or do they could as Asian? I need to know if we are meeting our starting line goals for five years from now. Tell me where the starting lines are.

Oh, and I hate to tell you, but jarred stole your mom from both you and your brother. He does that a lot.

The bold words above show that you are just a form of Troll, who gets his giggles from attacking me. As such I shouldn't even respond.

1st of all, you missed the point. I was attacking Libertarians more than demanding reparations. The title/subject said as much.

2nd, apparently we don't share a lot of assumptions. This means that my logic makes no sense to you. And, your logic makes no sense to me.

I think that people's assumptions are related to the specific books that they have read. Also, their religion or lack there of. You and I have different religions so we have different assumptions. I was raised a Protestant, but I'm now an atheist; and you are a Mormon. That makes us very different.

I have no interest in fine tuning the race track analogy. I threw it together in just a few min. as a way to illustrate what I was saying.

Since, I accept Modern Money Theory [and you and most others don't], I can see that any cash for reparations will not come from the 'taxpayers' but will instead be just created out of thin air. This will not damage the economy much at all in the current situation. You will not be able to see that this is so.

As to what I would like to see done --
. . 1] Use Federal Gov. money to fund a program to eliminate all "no go zones" anywhere in America. It is extremely shaming that 'the greatest richest nation the world has ever known' allows its citizens to be forced to live in neighborhoods that the police are afraid to enter {add with edit, 'because we can't afford it'}. If necessary use the Army to back up the police. [Don't call up the National Guard or Army Reserves for this, please.] The rule of law must be extended to every corner of the nation.
. . {End the drug war as much as possible so that Blacks don't have reason to fear and hate the cops. If someone wants to ruin their life, let them. It isn't as if the drug war has stopped many from ruining their life, is it?}

. . 2] Find a way to motivate Black kids to work at learning while in school. Again Fed. Gov. money is used. I'm not an expert, but I have zero confidence in the opinions of the current education establishment. We would have to try a lot of things on a local basis to see what works.

3] Provide scholarship money for kids in college.

4] Cash. Provide a weekly deposit in the adults' account that they access with a debit card. How much, you asked? Well, the Japanese got $20,000 each. Blacks were treated as bad for far longer.

I don't know how to keep businessmen from just raising their prices in certain neighborhoods. And worse, keeping certain states from cutting programs for Blacks, "because they don't need it any more".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
If necessary use the Army to back up the police.

I am am foreigner but even I am aware of Posse Comitatus. Or perhaps you think the Enforcement Acts apply?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
DavidDearlove wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
If necessary use the Army to back up the police.

I am am foreigner but even I am aware of Posse Comitatus. Or perhaps you think the Enforcement Acts apply?

Posse Comitatus is a law. As such it could be changed.

I did say, "If necessary ...". If Federal Marshals can do it, that's fine. I do remember the 101st Airborne being used to protect Black students going to HS in the south in the 60s.

Don't worry, I totally agree the chances of anything like this happening in the next 20 years is zero%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

The bold words above show that you are just a form of Troll, who gets his giggles from attacking me. As such I shouldn't even respond.

1st of all, you missed the point. I was attacking Libertarians more than demanding reparations. The title/subject said as much.

2nd, apparently we don't share a lot of assumptions. This means that my logic makes no sense to you. And, your logic makes no sense to me.

I think that people's assumptions are related to the specific books that they have read. Also, their religion or lack there of. You and I have different religions so we have different assumptions. I was raised a Protestant, but I'm now an atheist; and you are a Mormon. That makes us very different.

I have no interest in fine tuning the race track analogy. I threw it together in just a few min. as a way to illustrate what I was saying.

Since, I accept Modern Money Theory [and you and most others don't], I can see that any cash for reparations will not come from the 'taxpayers' but will instead be just created out of thin air. This will not damage the economy much at all in the current situation. You will not be able to see that this is so.

As to what I would like to see done --
. . 1] Use Federal Gov. money to fund a program to eliminate all "no go zones" anywhere in America. It is extremely shaming that 'the greatest richest nation the world has ever known' allows its citizens to be forced to live in neighborhoods that the police are afraid to enter {add with edit, 'because we can't afford it'}. If necessary use the Army to back up the police. [Don't call up the National Guard or Army Reserves for this, please.] The rule of law must be extended to every corner of the nation.
. . {End the drug war as much as possible so that Blacks don't have reason to fear and hate the cops. If someone wants to ruin their life, let them. It isn't as if the drug war has stopped many from ruining their life, is it?}

. . 2] Find a way to motivate Black kids to work at learning while in school. Again Fed. Gov. money is used. I'm not an expert, but I have zero confidence in the opinions of the current education establishment. We would have to try a lot of things on a local basis to see what works.

3] Provide scholarship money for kids in college.

4] Cash. Provide a weekly deposit in the adults' account that they access with a debit card. How much, you asked? Well, the Japanese got $20,000 each. Blacks were treated as bad for far longer.

I don't know how to keep businessmen from just raising their prices in certain neighborhoods. And worse, keeping certain states from cutting programs for Blacks, "because they don't need it any more".

No, the bolded part shows that I laugh at people who don't present thoughts that are worth serious thought. Your analogy... was laughable. So I laughed.

And yes, I got what you were going for. It's not like you have posted about anything else except Libertarian-hate, so it's fairly easy to see that it is yet another round of the same. Doesn't make your post any less laughable.

But since you yearn to be taken seriously, let's go for it. The problem isn't race. The problem is poverty. Yes, there is a correlation between race and poverty, but correlation is not causation. The problem as I see it is the Culture of Poverty. If people are given money but do not free themselves from the culture which helps enable being poor as a lifestyle, they will naturally gravitate back to that state of poverty. No amount of throwing cash at the problem will help that.

I agree with you that the neighborhoods that are "no-go zones" is a major issue. But again, that is the culture of poverty. It is

Now, before you go assuming I equate minority with poor, there's white poor as well. Explain Mississippi or West Virginia. Rednecks and white trash are just as susceptible to the Culture of Poverty as are minorities. It's a matter of breaking free of that culture before any amount of leg-up-giving would make a difference. So, are we ready to tell people living in trailer parks that their culture is wrong? Or those who live in the ghetto? Or on the reservation? Is that something you are willing to verbalize and promote as part of helping them raise themselves out of poverty? Because that culture minimizes the importance of education. As long as that is held in low esteem, there is no long-term path out of poverty for those in neighborhoods that are in the sway of that culture.

So that is why when I see this theory of giving others a head start, I laugh at it. There is a culture that holds them back as much as any law or bias. And yes, there are biases against minorities, and that needs to change. It needs to be addressed. But as long as people are comfortable in the culture which helps hold them down, no amount of handouts will solve the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.