Subject: Can't seem to advance fast enoigh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xiao Tan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hello,

My group has played a couple 5 person games and though I've read on here how better players generally advance on the ast every turn, we seem nowhere near that. The bottleneck is always meeting the tech requirements. After halfway I'd say we move closer to 2/3 or 1/2 turns.

Advice is welcome but even moreso I want to make sure we're not missing any rule or mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to trade a LOT. Even if it benefits the other person more than you, you should still trade.

Both and you your trading partner benefits from each trade you do, all other players do not. Therefore, the more trades you do, the better off you are.
Don't be afraid to trade because calamities are around. You can almost always easily rebuild. The goal is to complete one set each turn on average (or a little more). Ignore the "1" sets.
Try to avoid discarding more cards than necessary, i.e. try to finish each turn with 8 cards on hand.
Suggestion to speed up trades:
Just mention the first two cards. Don't hassle over the third one at all. Be prepared to overpay to complete your set - but if someone forces you to overpay, let him overpay in kind if he needs your card to complete his set.

Edit: Just read that you play with 5:
Did you take the 10 extra credits for each color? at the start of the game? This is a 5 player adjustment. And with 5 it's a little harder to do a set each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, trade a lot, this is key. Also, remember that there are no winners in a war only losers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably as simple as:

Trade more

Also, the 5p game makes trading a little harder, as there are only two commodities in each deck, so the economy is much smaller. You may find that you need to be more aggressive in finding trade partners, and more willing to adjust what you're trying to trade for as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With multiple mentions of trading being tougher at 5p, how does that compare with 6 or 7 player games? Seems 7 and 9 are the sweet spot if the player count poll is to be believed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For trading, I do think that 7 and 10 is great. It's the middle number of players for 2 or 3 commodities per stack. This makes it unlikely that lots of water will be drawn, while still maintaining a steady supply of new cards drawn.
9 is probably voted best because you use full two boards of the map, which looks good.

I'm not the biggest fan of the split trade decks with 12+ players. They work fine, but add some constraints which are not there with lower player counts.

With higher player counts, it's also more likely that more civs are doing well. This results in an ability to collect higher sets faster (9,7 and 8). In a 5 player game, drawing an 8 card is not worth much if you are the only one drawing them.

I'll happily play anything between 5 and 11, but with only 5 players I really try to find a 6th. The extra player is beneficial both in trade and in calamity resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
With multiple mentions of trading being tougher at 5p, how does that compare with 6 or 7 player games? Seems 7 and 9 are the sweet spot if the player count poll is to be believed?

My favorite so far is either 9 or 18. Played my 10th game today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Not just the fact that only two sets are available, but with 5p you only draw a maximum of 5 cards from each stack each turn. Which means it takes a few turns before all cards of a set have made their way into players hands. When there are 8p there are the same amount of trade cards available, but up to 8 comes into players hands every turn, meaning it takes at least a turn less to put all cards of a set into players hands. So yes, I'd definitely expect a 5p game to be slower in number of turns than an 8p game. The same thing happens with the larger player counts, but is much less pronounced there. Going from 5 to 8 players using 2 sets adds 60%, going from 9/12/15 to 11/14/18 using 3/4/5 sets adds ~20%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My personal preference is 9 or 11 players while keeping with one stack of trade cards. I've had some really odd behaviors showing with 5 players so I try to get at least 6. 5 is playable but can turn really weird.
You need to be great at trading and that includes avoiding ending up as primary victim for calamities. You also need to have an eye on what commodities are in circulation so you can focus on the right ones.
But in general I'd say, don't worry about advancing every turn until you have a player who does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazarus Darkeyes
United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
Are you correctly utilizing the rule that in a 5 player game, everyone gets 10 of each of the 5 color credits at game start? That matters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazarus Darkeyes
United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
Nicholas M wrote:
You need to trade a LOT. Even if it benefits the other person more than you, you should still trade.

I understand your point and mostly agree, but I'd personally throw out an exception:
If someone is already ahead, NO ONE should trade with them unless the player in the lead gains less.

Clarity: I am *NOT* saying 'don't trade with the leader', I'm saying if someone is winning don't help them increase their margin of victory. If they gain 30, hopefully you gain 40, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why should anyone far back in the field bash the leader? If you don't have a shot at catching up and passing the leader you'll just be doing the heavy lifting for the players who are in a position to pass the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

I understand your point and mostly agree, but I'd personally throw out an exception:
If someone is already ahead, NO ONE should trade with them unless the player in the lead gains less.

Clarity: I am *NOT* saying 'don't trade with the leader', I'm saying if someone is winning don't help them increase their margin of victory. If they gain 30, hopefully you gain 40, etc.

We often have this discussion after our games (I've played 10 times with 78 different players), and it usually comes down to the same conclusion:

Play to beat the person directly ahead of you. You're not going to win. If you're not in the lead 2/3 of the way through the game, or right behind, you're not going to come back - the discount markers for techs make sure that exponential advancement is a real thing and very difficult to overcome.

So find the players at your tier, and try to overtake them.

(this from a person who has won 7/10 games and finished top 5 in the other 3, average player count 12+)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And a quick reflection on winning vs AST position. I've seen it happen more than once, the first player to cross the finish line isn't necessarily going to win. It's very possible to pull off a win from further back if you have managed to do well in your purchases of technologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.