Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: % to designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm sure this has been asked already and perhaps someone can point me to the thread(s) but what is a typical % that a publisher offers a designer if they pick up the game, and is it a % of the net revenues, some kind of royalty, or what? Or if it varies, what are some of the common arrangements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a designer that got…. about 3% on his last title.

He signed the paperwork.
He got to run around and do a bunch of changes and tweaks (even an overhaul).
He watched the theme get changed.
He even got to tell them "I told you so…" when he advised that they weren't taking his advice for the KS strategy.

When I (maybe) balked at his 3% - he got serious-eyed and told me, "It's a great deal… I got lucky"

So, I guess as is customary… YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
3%-5% of wholesale (ie what the publisher sells it for) is pretty common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anywhere from 2 to 10% of wholesale (yes, it's a wide range)

Sometimes you get an amount upfront, typically as an advance on your %.

Sometimes they will buy it outright (rarely)

You may or may not have any involvement with the game after signing, depending on the publisher and how much they want you to be involved.

Your game may not even look familiar to you when its published, or it may be exactly the same, or somewhere in between.

Really there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It varies from publisher to publisher, game to game and designer to designer (experience and past published work is almost always a factor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10% of $0 is still $0.

just saying... I don't know what I'd ask for if I was in a position to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to structure any licensing deal that I work on as a lump sum plus royalty arrangement. The lump sum ensures that the inventor (designer) gets something for his efforts, and the royalty ensures that the inventor has a stake in the continuing popularity of the licensed property. For the royalty portion, 4%-8% is typical, though that may vary further depending on the particulars and the size of the lump sum.

A "royalty only" arrangement puts zero pressure on the licensee to actually develop and market the licensed property. A "lump sum only" arrangement gives zero incentive to the licensor to assist, promote, and further develop the licensed property.

Even though I'm usually on the side of the licensee, I still like to see both elements in an agreement. I think a license has a greater chance of being successful if both sides are "on the same team" going forward.

Pete (prefers to view licenses as partnerships and not as mere purchases)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
This site has all the information you need (royalty rates are in the 2nd infographic):

http://cardboardedison.com/reports/

TLDR: Typically 5%-8% of wholesale, or 3%-6% of retail. Expect to be on the lowest end of that scale if you're new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks, all. This has been so helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stedman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fire of Eidolon Pre-Orders available at MagicMeepleGames.com
badge
Magic Meeple...the boardgame people! MagicMeepleGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
brrrmanza wrote:
I know a designer that got…. about 3% on his last title.

He signed the paperwork.
He got to run around and do a bunch of changes and tweaks (even an overhaul).
He watched the theme get changed.
He even got to tell them "I told you so…" when he advised that they weren't taking his advice for the KS strategy.

When I (maybe) balked at his 3% - he got serious-eyed and told me, "It's a great deal… I got lucky"

So, I guess as is customary… YMMV

Yikes. That sounds kind of rough.

So, yeah, just to chime in, 3-9% of sale-price revenue is pretty common (wholesale price, retail price, if they sold a hundred copies half off or five at MSRP, you get the percentage of that revenue whatever that is.)

My first design was around 5% iirc and that seems to fit average parameters for first-time published designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.