7,297 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46% of Goal | left

Support:

Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the two expansions basically add everything from forbidden alchemy and call of the wild?

What about for people who already has forbidden alchemy/call of the wild, do they miss out on anything for not recurring nightmares and suppressed memories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Does the two expansions basically add everything from forbidden alchemy and call of the wild?

Just the miniatures (figures and monsters) and tiles, nothing else is required, the conversion pack in the 2nd Ed provides the rest. To be precise one of the expansions adds 1st edition content, the other adds FA and CotW content.

Straddllw wrote:
What about for people who already has forbidden alchemy/call of the wild, do they miss out on anything for not recurring nightmares and suppressed memories?

Provided that they also have the 1st edition, and both FA and CotW no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:

Updated tiles, for example the different colouring text background for outdoor and indoor areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So I bought MoM 2E off of B&N 40% off sale over the weekend, I'm just waiting on the expansions to hit and I'm all set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kornstalx The Dork
United States
flag msg tools
Straddllw wrote:
Thanks. So I bought MoM 2E off of B&N 40% off sale over the weekend, I'm just waiting on the expansions to hit and I'm all set.

I did the exact same thing (and used the Raise.com gift cards to knock it down to $55). My local B&N store had a single copy of 1st Edition still in stock, so I called an had it reserved until the 6th. It's full retail price ($79.99) so I'm sitting here debating if I should actually go pick it up, or just wait for the 2nd Edition expansions. The $~20 price difference doesn't concern me, but the bad news I keep reading about how hard it is to transfer the chits from the 2nd Ed conversion kit to the 1st Ed monster bases worries me. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Should I just wait for the expansions and pass on the reserved 1st Edition copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kornstalx wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

I did the exact same thing (and used the Raise.com gift cards to knock it down to $55). My local B&N store had a single copy of 1st Edition still in stock, so I called an had it reserved until the 6th. It's full retail price ($79.99) so I'm sitting here debating if I should actually go pick it up, or just wait for the 2nd Edition expansions. The $~20 price difference doesn't concern me, but the bad news I keep reading about how hard it is to transfer the chits from the 2nd Ed conversion kit to the 1st Ed monster bases worries me. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Should I just wait for the expansions and pass on the reserved 1st Edition copy?

The problem I ran into was that the 2nd edition small base has too little clearance for the monster tokens (though I WAS able to remove them with some care), and too MUCH clearance on the clips (they would NOT grip tokens at all). If you're talking about monster tokens in the conversion kit that have never been inserted into bases, you're probably fine.

As a counterpoint, my first edition (actually, premium) bases took the tokens nice and smoothly (once I sheared off the posts and extra glue with an x-acto knife), and hold the ID tokens properly. The tokens would slide out plenty easily, in case I want to use the figures in an Arkham Horror (or MoM 1st edition) game.

The other advantage of buying a 1st edition copy at retail is that you could go back and play 1-versus-many with the original rules (and cards and tokens and so on) if you ever wanted to, which you can't do with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
From their website, sounds like those of us who own the 1st Ed stuff will not need to purchase Recurring Nightmares or Suppressed Memories, AND will still get the new scenarios:

When you include the First Edition core set or Recurring Nightmares pieces in your game, you will also gain access to a brand new scenario.

The Suppressed Memories scenario is based on the collection’s Call of the Wild content, meaning those with the original Call of the Wild expansion will be able to play as well. Adding the Forbidden Alchemy expansion as well, however, will increase the number of scenario variants available to you.

This makes me happy. I bought all of the 1st ed game and didn't play it much at all due to its long setup time and ... balance issues. Glad to see they're rewarding the people who invested heavily and helped make it popular enough to make the second edition possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson-Wood
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if I only had one of the 1st edition expansions I am SOL for the 2nd expansion set for MoM?

I have been searching the web for a Forbidden Alchemy 1st edition set with no such luck..

Is there any benefit to having just one of the first edition expansions and then purchasing the Recurring Nightmares expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.