Dead Men Tell No Tales» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trap door cut off by explosion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Bergstein
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We encountered a situation that I didn't see covered in the instructions or yet on this forum.

We had a trap door in a dead end room and the room it was connected to exploded. Now that that room is and always will be inaccessible, are the deckhands still able to multiply unabated? For that matter, is the fire in that room able to as well?

We love this game, even though we haven't won yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Without house ruling it, I'd say yes. It's one of those things you have to juggle when putting out fires and deciding how to build the ship. Thematically, though, it doesn't make as much sense having deckhands continue to swarm there and losing the games due to running out of them. So I could see playing it either way. I feel like it's a pretty rare occurrence.

Plus keep in mind that deckhands only spread out from a trapdoor to an adjacent room where there are FEWER deckhands than in the trapdoor room. This limits the amount of deckhands that will come out in that area (eventually Spread Out does nothing until another Add).

And yes, the fire levels keep going up and explode in areas of the ship that you can't reach. Again, you have to keep this in mind when building the ship and managing the fires.

It took me several tries to win, but that made it all the more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Bergstein
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply! If winning was our only measure of fun we wouldn't keep playing =).

This is our third game and we have just as much fun losing so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
kadime wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply! If winning was our only measure of fun we wouldn't keep playing =).

This is our third game and we have just as much fun losing so far!

The beauty of the game is that a loss is usually followed immediately by "we should have done ________ to avoid _________ being such a problem." It feels less like bad luck and more like making the wrong choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.