Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: "If both sides have first strike, niether may use it" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

On pg.18 under first strike, the rulebook says, "If both sides have first strike, neither may use it."

So does that mean if the Klingons research "Adapted Cloaking Device" they are immune to the Romulans' first strike?

Does that also mean if the Klingons research "Adapted Cloaking Device" they can't ever use first strike against the Romulans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if both have it in the same turn then yes, they cancel each other out.

but since the techs indicate they can only use it on their turn it doesnt cancel out, ie;
during the romulan turn, the romulans have first strike but not the klingons since its not their turn so its not canceled out.
and vice versa on the klingon turn.

there might be occasions when both sides have it at the same time, then it would be canceled out.
i think for now only during planetary invasions could it occur i think with the current races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The cloaking device only gives first strike when attacking. Because the defender doesn't gain first strike, this rule does not apply to the cloaking devices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only case it would be canceled is when klingons invade a romulan planet.

the klingons have a tech that gives them first strike when invading a planet on their turn while the romulans have a tech that gives their nodes first strike in planetary invasions (which will always be on defense since nodes cannot launch an attack), that is if both have researched the relevant tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Future factions may also have first strike abilities that are affected by this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burgess
msg tools
This rule is in the FAQ in files section. The replies are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.