Subject: Wanting this ... But confused rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks great! People say it's fun. I really want it and have been pricing it out on Amazon etc. I noticed when I go to the games official website you can buy extra goodies which I think I will do. I love to pimp out my games. On that same website though I noticed you can buy an extra board extension. Does the game not come with the entire board? Is this some sick twisted way to make more money? Do I need it? Will I not have the whole fun experience if I don't have it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game comes with a complete board, the board extension allows you to use the other side of the board which has bigger hexes (if your table is big enough then the board extension is a nice addition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Essner
France
Nissa
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail base is enough for play. You don't need anything else.

The biggest map is just for have bigger hexagone but not useful.
Regular ressources are good enough for play. Even for regular money.

So, you can buy the retail game and enjoy it. The game is pretty good (that's my point) and so far hit the table every week since I have it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need the board extension. The board in the box comes with the full map printed on one side, and on the other side is a larger version of the map which requires the board extension.

So when you flip it over you have 2/3 of the larger map, and the board extension just adds the last 1/3. But the game is fully playable on the normal sized map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
You don't need the board extension. The board in the box comes with the full map printed on one side, and on the other side is a larger version of the map which requires the board extension.

So when you flip it over you have 2/3 of the larger map, and the board extension just adds the last 1/3. But the game is fully playable on the normal sized map.

Just to add to what people have said - the regular map, which comes in the retail, is already large enough that it'd be a squeeze to play more than two player on my normal table for gaming after accounting for the player boards - If I ever want to play three player it's going to either be a squeeze, we'll need to clear off the other table, or we'll need to clear and bring over the side table. As such, I don't anticipate ever playing on a table large enough to take the Extended Board. (I think we could squeeze four player on this table without too much trouble, mind, so that's the way we'd probably do it)

The hexes on the regular size board? Large enough to easily accommodate three of the game's minis. It's rare to have three in the same hex for longer than a single combat, since in my experience of the game you don't tend to park more than two combat figures in a single hex.

Purely aesthetic upgrade, absolutely not needed to play the game (though... I do wish my table were large enough to play with the extended board. It's a gorgeous looking board and it would be nice to see the art larger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That makes sense. I have a rather large gaming table, so I think I'll have to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Essner
France
Nissa
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can, buy it. I have it and played with both side (my table is not large enough) and playing with the big one, is much more cool !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our tables AREN'T big enough, so although I've bought the board extension, I'm not sure how much use I'll be able to make of it. Cons and the like, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, the game comes with only 2/3 of the board, and if you want to get the full game, you'll have to buy from the publisher's website. You know, like how apps and DLCs work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

evnzro wrote:
You don't need the board extension.

Well, Joshua is correct that you don't need it. But oh, it is sooo nice to have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing missing is the option to purchase a bigger table along with all the other goodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
On that same website though I noticed you can buy an extra board extension. Does the game not come with the entire board? Is this some sick twisted way to make more money? Do I need it? Will I not have the whole fun experience if I don't have it?

My advice...try before you buy.

The board extension is probably a should have as the standard board is too cramped due to the scale of the minis being unnecessarily big. At 1/3rd smaller they would have been perfect for the standard board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll counter this by saying I find the extended board to be too big to play on comfortably. Players can't reach all parts of the board, which makes the game more annoying.

The regular board however is perfectly sized, and it all works well. Would perhaps be better if the minifigs were a little smaller though.

Also - the regular resource tokens are a little smaller than the realistic ones. I suspect playing realistic resources on the smaller board might be a bit cramped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found the regular board a fine size. You don't usually have many figures in a space anyway.

There's no way we could fit the deluxe board on our table and still have room for player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.