calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Playing solo for the first time... During a depression, does Diaz:
a) lose all his played cards, since he has no money for expenses, or;
b) remain unaffected, since he doesn't have an income phase to trigger expenses; or
c) something else?

Seems like b), to keep his prestige points in play, and I guess that's the most literal reading of the rules... But would like confirmation... Thanks!

Really like this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
General rule for Eklund titles: if it makes it easier for you, then you're misinterpreting the rule.

(b)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
If you're playing Pax solo regularly, I can highly recommend this solo variant to give a try as well:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135261/pax-o-matic-dicele...

I've played the official solo version and the variant with two dice which makes diaz pick up cards lower in the market so it becomes a little less random, and I've enjoyed both.

But Colin's no dice variant is much much closer to the experience of playing with real opponents. Give it a go, he's done a great job on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinc71 wrote:
So... Playing solo for the first time... During a depression, does Diaz:
a) lose all his played cards, since he has no money for expenses, or;
b) remain unaffected, since he doesn't have an income phase to trigger expenses; or
c) something else?

Seems like b), to keep his prestige points in play, and I guess that's the most literal reading of the rules... But would like confirmation... Thanks!

Really like this game...

(b) I agree with Jay, except for the sarcasm.
Diaz has no game income, but that is because it has been abstracted away. In an actual depression, dictators resort to other measures (such as printing fiat money) to obtain funds. (Fiat money, far more popular today than in the time of Diaz, is paper money not backed by gold or anything other than the word of the dictator saying that it is worth something).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation...

But, going on the "if it makes it easier, you're doing it wrong" theme... Two more questions...

Gun Stores-i think you get the 2 gold on any orange card. But maybe it's only when the card affects the territory the gun store is in?

Generals w/3 firepower-I think this applies to all troops. But maybe US Generals can only lead US Troops?

Sorry if these are obvious, but I feel like I need to ask...

I'm playing Ricky Royals solo rules...

Oh hey Phil, didn't even notice it was the designer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinc71 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation...

But, going on the "if it makes it easier, you're doing it wrong" theme... Two more questions...

Gun Stores-i think you get the 2 gold on any orange card. But maybe it's only when the card affects the territory the gun store is in?

Generals w/3 firepower-I think this applies to all troops. But maybe US Generals can only lead US Troops?

Sorry if these are obvious, but I feel like I need to ask...

I'm playing Ricky Royals solo rules...

Oh hey Phil, didn't even notice it was the designer!

Hello Calvin,

Gun stores: you get the gold regardless of location, and Generals with 3/ firepower can lead all troops. They are more like mercenaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.