The Ravens of Thri Sahashri» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few quick ones .. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just read the rules sheet from the non-Osprey printing. I'm waiting for the Osprey version to arrive. I have a few questions.

1) As a I draw cards the ravens are lined up with all the other newly drawn cards, or does it go into the raven row right away? I ask because I wanted to know if a newly drawn raven (assuming it was beyond the safe zone) automatically increases the size of the safe zone right away? Would all the other cards slide down, effectively making one more card safe?

2) Is it possible for Feth to split the Atman when placing a card? The rule sheet mentions splits when Ren takes a card or due to special effect.

3) The round is complete when the Atman corresponds to Ren's heart. "The cards in the Atman contains the colours, and only the colours, that Ren's heart cards have." Does the Atman have to have ALL of the colors in Ren's heart cards, or is it the case that the Atman can ONLY have colors in the heart?

Thanks,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
1) As a I draw cards the ravens are lined up with all the other newly drawn cards, or does it go into the raven row right away? I ask because I wanted to know if a newly drawn raven (assuming it was beyond the safe zone) automatically increases the size of the safe zone right away? Would all the other cards slide down, effectively making one more card safe?

Don't move the raven down until the end of Feth's turn. The extended safe zone only takes effect next turn.

Quote:
2) Is it possible for Feth to split the Atman when placing a card?

Yes.

Quote:
3) The round is complete when the Atman corresponds to Ren's heart. "The cards in the Atman contains the colours, and only the colours, that Ren's heart cards have." Does the Atman have to have ALL of the colors in Ren's heart cards, or is it the case that the Atman can ONLY have colors in the heart?

It does not have to have all the colours...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...until you open the first envelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
1) As a I draw cards the ravens are lined up with all the other newly drawn cards, or does it go into the raven row right away?

When you have finished drawing.

johnraggio wrote:
2) Is it possible for Feth to split the Atman when placing a card? The rule sheet mentions splits when Ren takes a card or due to special effect.

Feth may cause a split when building.

johnraggio wrote:

In the version you have, all of them. If Ren's heart has green, blue and white, then the Atman needs to contain at least one green, at least one blue and at least one white.

To further clarify, if Ren's heart contains for example two green, it's OK if the Atman just has one. But all the colours, and only the colours, in Ren's heart must be represented in the Atman.

This is not so in the Osprey edition… at least not to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zimeon wrote:
johnraggio wrote:
1) As a I draw cards the ravens are lined up with all the other newly drawn cards, or does it go into the raven row right away?

When you have finished drawing.

johnraggio wrote:

Feth may cause a split when building.

johnraggio wrote:

In the version you have, all of them. If Ren's heart has green, blue and white, then the Atman needs to contain at least one green, at least one blue and at least one white.

To further clarify, if Ren's heart contains for example two green, it's OK if the Atman just has one. But all the colours, and only the colours, in Ren's heart must be represented in the Atman.

This is not so in the Osprey edition… at least not to begin with.

Regarding question 1, why wait until I am finished drawing? The Osprey rules page 12 agree with this. I just got my package today.

Why would it matter? The only thing I can think of is that when I move it down to the raven row after I finish drawing perhaps we are not supposed to slide all the cards after it to the left, potentially moving them into the safe zone where they might not be otherwise? Simple example I have no ravens. I draw one and then draw two more cards, three total. Once I move the raven down to the raven row do the other two shift to the left, this moving one of them into the safe zone?

I have a new question based on my reading of the Osprey rules.

4) If Ren adds a card to the poem that matches the color of the heart, the heart card is turned sideways to indicate that it was revealed in this way as opposed to Feth reliving a dream. This means it cannot score. Does it also mean that the effect on the card may not be used? Come to think of it, can the effects on heart cards even be used at all, or only the poem cards added to a rom?

Thanks,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
Why would it matter?

Makes things more complicated by issues of "sliding cards" and such. If you're playing with the Osprey edition, they add a function to the Safety Zone that might make sliding cards reasonable; in the original, the Safety Zone's only function is to block ravens.

No ravens are added to the Raven Row until you've finished drawing. That's simply the easiest way to not get confused.

johnraggio wrote:
4) If Ren adds a card to the poem that matches the color of the heart, the heart card is turned sideways to indicate that it was revealed in this way as opposed to Feth reliving a dream. This means it cannot score. Does it also mean that the effect on the card may not be used? Come to think of it, can the effects on heart cards even be used at all, or only the poem cards added to a rom?

Only the poem cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zimeon wrote:
johnraggio wrote:
Why would it matter?

Makes things more complicated by issues of "sliding cards" and such. If you're playing with the Osprey edition, they add a function to the Safety Zone that might make sliding cards reasonable; in the original, the Safety Zone's only function is to block ravens.

No ravens are added to the Raven Row until you've finished drawing. That's simply the easiest way to not get confused.

johnraggio wrote:

Only the poem cards.

Thanks Simon.

I guess my confusion with the poem / heart cards was that they all make up the poem 7775.

Regarding the safety zone, no cards slide over? Just leave gaps? This actually makes sense for another reason, not just for moving the ravens down into the raven row. Otherwise if my last card was one I could not play I might be tempted to slide it down into the safety zone after playing cards to its left. "No sliding" makes the whole thing work. Essentially makes it so the raven increasing the safety zone size has no effect on the turn it is dealt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
Essentially makes it so the raven increasing the safety zone size has no effect on the turn it is dealt?

Yes, exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Regarding my third part here, once the poem is complete Ren will announce the poem is done. At this time do hidden heart cards stay hidden until they figure out a way to match the colors of the heart to the Atman? I assume they are not turned over until Ren announces the poem is complete and the colors match. It wouldn't make sense to try to make the colors match with the heart cards all turned up (unless of course they were all Relived memories).

Do I have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.