Subject: Phase 1 discard variant for rules v2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools

When I play this game, I find that I want better control over what cards I can acquire into my hand. I proposed a RFTG variant in another thread that allows players to draw more that 2 cards and select 1 or 2 from among them, and that works but I've been playing lately with a much simpler tweak of the rules, and I like it better:

Current V2.0 rule:
Quote:
1. New Hand Cards
Each player can discard all (not some) cards from hand and draw an equal amount from the draw pile.

Changed to:
Quote:
1. New Hand Cards
Each player can discard all, or some, cards from hand and draw an equal amount from the draw pile.

I like this because it is a simple change, and it allows you to make a more strategic decision about what to keep and discard, but it doesn't make the game easier. In fact, this rule change creates tension, since you must decide whether each card is better to keep or discard for a blind draw of another card. I find that I discard more cards early, since I'm trying to find the right cards to build, but then I rarely use discard after mid-game because the goods aspect of the cards becomes more potentially valuable towards triggering production and chain actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
In fact, this rule change creates tension, since you must decide whether each card is better to keep or discard for a blind draw of another card.

I get more tension from the decision of whether to hang on to that 1 great card and some crap, or dump it all. If I could always dump the unhelpful cards and keep the helpful ones, I would lose what I find to be a deliciously frustrating decision.

It appears that tension is in the mind of the beholder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.