Subject: We had fun on our five year mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don read the rules the us – the three of them had played Castle Panic before, so it was easy to catch on. On the other hand, I’ve never played Castle Panic, only to know there is a cooperative element, but only one player can still win. Making sure none of us had any red shirts on, we were ready to play.

In player order, Trevor was Sulu (manoeuvre twice), Don was Chekov (+1 damage on phasers), I was Spock (draw 3 threats and pick 2) and Gary was McCoy (get a security team card). The first mission was the Outpost Defence. There is an Orion Raider at long range which we have to destroy. I traded Trevor my long range phasor, thinking he could do 1 damage to it, but Trevor had the “direct hit” card which meant any hit will destroy a target, and the Orion Raider was toast.

On Don’s turn, the misson was “Journey to Babel”, where there is an assassin on the ship, requiring a security team to roll a 4-6, and another spaceship to destroy. After some discussion we spend all our effort to get the assassin on our first roll and destroy the required spaceship to complete that mission.

On my turn, the mission I drew was the Dooms Day Machine, the thing that looked like a potato in the TV series. We needed 5 different ability cards to defeat it. Collectively we were missing a command card, so I contributed an engineer card towards the cause and took my turn firing at some threats. I then drew 3 threats to pick the worst two: a comet which everyone said was a boulder in the original Castle Panic and a Klingon cruiser, throwing away Romulan warbird since cloaking would have caused us some problems. The comet ripped through one shield and the Doomsday machine destroyed another shield.

On Gary’s turn, we gathered enough cards to solve the Dooms Day machine mission. The next mission was Trouble with Tribbles, requiring us to have a Klingon ship at short range and some ability cards. This took us a couple turns.

Our last mission was the Mysterious Ship, requiring us to get into short range of it. This was easy to accomplish, and we boldly went home, being successful and having a good thematic time with this game.

The Enterprise, with one shield remaining, the starboard nacelle destroyed and some hull damage. We destroy the remaining threats and complete our 5th mission by advancing towards the mysterious ship to get it to short range. We limp home to get ready for another 5 year mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the gods of randomness were on your side. In my few plays, we have had a few missions that were quick and easy to complete...and others that turned out to be impossible. Failing a mission carries no penalty, but all the damage and potentially wasted resources while it was active tend to be pretty painful.

Congrats on your success, and thanks for writing it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.