1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Cliche female gamer and trying to be better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jen W

Texas
msg tools
I can't say I'm a typical woman gamer with the expertise or passion for it that I've seen may of you exhibit. I think its great y'all are excited and strategic. I wish I were half as skilled. The thing is I am not which is msking it challenging to learn games I can grasp and even more challenging to learn the more advanced ones my spouse plays with ease.

So all that in mind, could someone advise of some games that would be good to play for the basic and advanced players?

And could someone offer some links for learning thread two?

D&D role-playing
Age of Sigmar

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the more games I play and the more games I learn to play, the faster I can grasp the core concepts behind the mechanics and the faster I can learn to play any game from scratch. My advice: play more games!

So welcome to BGG. You've certainly come to a great place to learn how to play almost any game in the world.

As for the specific games you mentioned, I have played D&D role playing game. RPG's have a thier own site here and the folks there are very friendly and helpful with role playing games. It's called RPG geek: https://rpggeek.com/ Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What kinds of games does your spouse play? Which look interesting to you? What themes interest you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be so hard on yourself Jen! Many of us use games to sharpen our mental skills. Just like everything else, we improve with practice. It's not possible to always win or always "get" a game the first play through.

Here's how I approach a new game:

-Play to learn. If it's a strategic game, most likely you're not going to beat more experienced players right away. And no one expects you to! So make plays that help you understand the game better.

-Always be planning out your next turn. If you have questions, ask someone who isn't preoccupied while you wait or consult the rule book.

-Smile and be forgiving of your own mistakes. It's just a game!

-Prepare for game night by reading the rules in advance and examining the board.

Remember, everyone has our strengths and weaknesses. The brain is a muscle that you can train. You can and will improve! You got this Jen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, Welcome to BGG!

Have you tried co-operative games? I've found that with everyone being on the same team, it makes it easier to learn the rules over time. You can ask questions any time you want and it won't create the same awkwardness as games where you're meant to keep some information hidden. Games like Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are supposed to be pretty rules light and easy to get into, Pandemic is one of the classics and so has a lot of replay value, and games like Mysterium rely more on being able to read the people you play. It might also help to think about which games you actually enjoy playing once you've learnt the rules - maybe rules heavy games just aren't really for you? I know my brain switches off in anything too strategic (so long-term), but I am perfectly happy with making tactical decisions based on what I happen to be have available each turn.

Apart from that, practice really makes perfect. I've gotten better at learning rules over time. There are still types of games I am both terrible at and don't particularly enjoy (sometimes even one without the other), so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to play certain kinds of games. You could also always watch some playthroughs of games to get an idea for how the game works. Tabletop (Youtube playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro&list=PL0Y9n5uBJu...) has been really popular, and though it's not my cup of tea, it's featuring mostly rules light games in an entertainment show while going over the rules and explaining strategy decisions and the like. There are also often electronic versions of games as apps and the like - so you could 'cheat' and try a few things out on your own time to get a feeling for how a game works.

Are there any particular kinds of themes you're interested in? Would you like something you'd play at a party and that makes you laugh, or more something that involves lots of out-thinking your opponents? Or just... a fun bag of everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen W

Texas
msg tools
Thank you for the welcome and advice- I will definitely work on the playing more games part. I've come a long way since the beginning of the year. I learned lotr: risk, zombies, star realms, munchkins, age of Sigmar(though not playing it well), battle of calth; and have been exposed to about everything games workshop (hubby had nearly 10 years with the company).d&d, and gobs of other games I can barely recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen W

Texas
msg tools
Everything, but loves tabletop war games the most. Games workshop the most of all.he's strategic and into thinking games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG, Jen!

When I first started gaming my husband was definitely the more strategically minded one. I had always just played games to have fun and do what felt right without giving a ton of thought to it, then I realized he calculated and planned and plotted and that was new to me. At first it seemed daunting, but as I played more and thought about what he was doing and how I could counter it I got better and better. I also thought, early on, that thinking too much would rob the fun out of games... then I realized when you do it it actually becomes part of what keeps drawing you back to games- wanting to get better and better and rise to new challenges!

As others have said, the key really is to just keep playing. You'll get there. Most of all just have fun!

Splendor might be a game to look into as I feel it offers an even playing field for all experience levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried any cooperative games? It might be fun to team up with your husband against the game, it'll take some of the frustration away from being a newer gamer.

Since you enjoy tabletop miniatures, you might enjoy some cooperative games with miniatures, like:

Galaxy Defenders - sci fi themed, cooperative tactical miniatures game with a campaign mode, each mission has specific objective to win
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients - weird west, need to assemble the minis, but if your husband is a wargamer, that shouldn't be a problem. Dungeon crawler with rpg elements (leveling up and customizing your characters), each core set has a scenario book has 12 missions to choose from
Zombicide - zombie themed, full of minis, choose a mission and try to beat the game before you are overrun with zombies
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - really fun game that's great for new gamers, comes with firemen minis and a two sided map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen W

Texas
msg tools
I like RPG but I'm not great at it. I enjoy word games, strategy games that aren't exceedingly complicated, limited tabletop model games (Infiniti for example but everyone tells me it would be too complicated for me), building games and competitive resource management games. I've enjoyed about everything I've played. Oh and I forgot xwing- though I find it a bit boring. I'll play it but I wouldn't normally suggest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnumbernine wrote:
I like RPG but I'm not great at it. I enjoy word games, strategy games that aren't exceedingly complicated, limited tabletop model games (Infiniti for example but everyone tells me it would be too complicated for me), building games and competitive resource management games. I've enjoyed about everything I've played. Oh and I forgot xwing- though I find it a bit boring. I'll play it but I wouldn't normally suggest it.

Have you gotten to play any Uwe games? Agricola is a heavy strategy game in which you convert resources managing a farm and feed your family or get negative points. My brainiac husband is hard pressed to beat me at an Uwe Rosenberg game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnumbernine wrote:
Everything, but loves tabletop war games the most. Games workshop the most of all.he's strategic and into thinking games.

Have you tried any of the Fantasy Flight miniatures games? They have Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, Star Wars: Armada, Star Wars: Imperial Assault and they have also announced a Rune Wars miniatures game.

I only have experience with Armada, but from what I understand, they're all relatively low rules complexity and might be a good starting point for learning these types of games. The downside, as is the case with all minis games it seems, is that they can be pretty expensive to get started in. Playing with just the core set is often fairly boring, so you have to end up buying quite a bit before you ever see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like tabletop model games, have your husband build you some easy to play armies, five or ten one-hundred point armies in waves charging across the board -- from different directions. He, of course, gets to build an army of... hmm... one hundred points. This should be an interesting challenge to him, as he has to fight off hordes of nasties much larger than he may be used to. You get to learn one of these games without worrying about small details like accidentally destroying half your units.

The best way to play RPGs is to play with people who let you do what you want and not get bogged down in the mechanics. Just make sure *you* have some common sense. You can certainly *try* to steal from that suspicious looking guy in the bar, just don't get upset when he notices then casts a spell turning you into a small amphibian (then steps on you).

You should be able to find geeklists of gateway games that nonetheless have strategy (search on "boardgamegeek geeklist gateway strategy"). Play games with open information (that is, nobody has cards or tiles they don't show their opponents).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
War of 1812

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943

Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set

1812: The Invasion of Canada

Twilight Struggle

1960: The Making of the President

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

Manoeuvre

A House Divided

Warriors of God
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are definitely in the right place for game recommendations, that's for sure! And being willing to learn and improve is definitely important for actually learning and improving.

First off, in the games you do play ask questions. If your husband prefers not to answer during the game then remember (or write then down) and ask afterwards. When learning a game I definitely ask my experienced opponant why they did something if I can't figure out their reasoning.

Second, if it's possible to go to a game store or game cafe where they have many to try, see about trying a variety of games to find one you really love. I know for me if I'm not very into a game I have more trouble getting the strategy down. Presumably your husband especially wants to spend time with you and play games together so knowing you enjoy it will make it more appealing. I've seen many people's top 10 games lists include their significant other's favorite games BECAUSE they are the significant other's favorite games.

Third, there will be some types of games you may just struggle with. For me it's card games, for a friend of mine it's stock market games, and for another friend it's bluffing games. Some things just don't click with some people. I still play the card games but I go into then knowing that I probably won't do very well. Usually I can do 1 or 2 cool things while my opponant pulls off crazy long combos and scores a ton of points!

And last but certainly not least is have fun! Because that's always, well, fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
In my experience the more games I play and the more games I learn to play, the faster I can grasp the core concepts behind the mechanics and the faster I can learn to play any game from scratch. My advice: play more games!
Agreed. A lot of games use similar concepts and mechanisms - which makes learning the next game a bit easier (oh, this is like....(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

I suggest placing effort with the games you already enjoy.

For board games, I review the rules in advance, watch a how to play video, and read a review, session report or skim the forums. This gives me insight to other player's strategies and questionable plays.

Assume it's similar for RPG side of the house.

For X-wing/Attack Wing, review the scenario in advance (if there is one), play with the card combos and ship maneuvers... I've flown off the edge twice. It takes practice. This is something you can do with your husband at home a week or two before league play, then make adjustments to cards as needed.

If you're having fun, losing is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he loves tabletop wargames I am (not so humbly) going to recommend some videos that I've done about 'bridge' wargames (wargames that people who never play wargames might like). Also, I'm a female wargamer--for whatever that's worth in this context.

Blackbeard is a 'wargame' in the sense that is uses some wargame mechanics. It is really a strategy game that, because marketed as a wargame may have never gotten the exposure it deserved. My video talks about it both as a solitaire play (but it is meant for 2+ and plays best that way), and also as a bridge wargame and whether non wargamers will like it.
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/101629/blackbeard/blackbeard...

Legions of Darkness is a game in the States of Siege line from Victory Point Games. These are relatively simple, short, solo games that are excellent introductions to some wargame type of strategies. This one is a fantasy theme. You'd play on your own to hone some skills that will serve you well if you dip into more complicated wargames.
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/96134/legions-darkness/legio...

But for the most traditional intro 'wargame'... Battles of the Bulge: Celles is a relatively small and not horribly complex wargame with the most traditional wargame elements of any that I have listed here. It is a 2-player game utilizing a mechanic wherein the game tells you which of your units you are able to use each turn. If your husband is not an impatient teacher, this could be a great 2-player game for you to learn some of the very standard wargame concepts (supply, line of sight, variable victory conditions), that are common to the genre.
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/107719/battles-bulge-celles/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I'm guilty of trying to introduce too many new games to my wife and friends. I keep telling myself to play the same game a lot so that We can really learn it - it's rules and all its strategic nuances.

You also might consider using player aids. If games font come with them, fan made versions can often be found on BGG or, sometimes I make them myself.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnumbernine wrote:
I can't say I'm a typical woman gamer with the expertise or passion for it that I've seen may of you exhibit. I think its great y'all are excited and strategic. I wish I were half as skilled. The thing is I am not which is msking it challenging to learn games I can grasp and even more challenging to learn the more advanced ones my spouse plays with ease.

So all that in mind, could someone advise of some games that would be good to play for the basic and advanced players?

And could someone offer some links for learning thread two?

D&D role-playing
Age of Sigmar

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

So Practice in gaming like most other things improves what ever natural talent you do have.

However when gaming live with other people there is a lot of pressure to move "soon".

So to get better at strategy games in general I have two suggestions.

First... just general logic/puzzle solving and speed of thinking improvements can be done through things like Luminosity or logic puzzle books etc.

Second game more... but do so in a lower pressure environment... aka On-line via Play by Turn (Not live so you can take turns at leisure) sites, like Yucata and Mabiweb. There you not only can take as long as you like to think out a move, in most games you can move all your pieces around but then hit reset and try a different move option or 2 or 3 etc until you find the one optimal one you want to make.

There are some very friendly ladies here who play on Yucata and would even likely give you pointers while playing on specific games. We have a whole thread where we talk about plying there and list of players if you would like to join us.

Learning how to recognize patterns and think out moves even in games your husband doesn't play will likely help you play better at the games you play with him and his friends IRL.

Good Luck and perhaps I will see you on Yucata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mb
If your looking for some light, fun wargames to play with the spousal unit, the first thing that popped into my head was "Block Games!" Although not all are entry level wargames, something like Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics are fun to play. Some of Columbia Games' offerings like Hammer of the Scots might also be good.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jen! I have quite the opposite situation as you, I love heavier games but my husband do not have much of an interest in boardgame. He plays because our group would play and he does have a few favourites now. With 1 or 2 more friends who are basically new to this this hobby, me and the other boardgamer friends would try to look for games that we would enjoy, which would also suit the difficulty that the rest of the group can take, and the theme to suit their liking. Gradually when the group had more sessions, they'd get introduced to heavier game.

Therefore as much as I as a heavier gamers love to play my heavier game, I also love to play with my dear ones hence I do have lighter games and I enjoy them too. I think your spouse might feel this way too so don't pressure yourself trying to catch up with a lightning speed.

I don't play games with 2 players anymore therefore I can only suggest Summoner Wars: Master Set which move cards like a chess to kill each other's summoners, and you can summon more cards from your draw pile and each of them has special ability. I find this game tactical but also easy to learn and fast to play. I love the variety of different factions to choose from.

Good luck in gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other wargame-y recommendations:

Conquest of Paradise

Hellas

303/111/7: The Defense of Lwów

Battle for Moscow (second edition)/Objective: Kiev/The Arduous Beginning

Napoleonic 20 series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The more you can tell us about what you and your lucky husband are looking for, more valuable our recommendations can be.

Assuming you are looking for not too complicated wargame, and your husband likes miniature gaming, my first thought would be one of the Commands & Colors series: Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, or Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution. Kind-of a miniatures-board game cross; colorful, many scenarios, and several eras to choose from - Ancients could be the best to start. I find the command design a bit too gamey, but most people love it. There are also modern versions.

Alternatively, Victory Point Games' Leuthen: Frederick's Greatest Victory 5 December, 1757 is pretty simple and inexpensive.

Columbia Game's block games would also be a great place to start - maybe the best. Try: Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, Hammer of the Scots, or maybe Julius Caesar.

A little more complicated, but a very elegant representation of WWII squad combat would be Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer series. I like the infantry scenarios, I'm not so sure about the armor ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my opinion there is no such thing as the cliche female gamer. Just people who want to make it look like there is and that is one of the reasons I started participating in the Women's board on BGG. There are enough males that like mostly "light" games as well and sometimes I feel like some people treat women like they are not able to play harder games or something. Just saying.

Your whole gaming experience should be about what you want. If you do not like a game after a few plays: do not play it.
Do not put pressure on yourself to like games that just don't suit your taste.

In general you will be more accustomed to games when time passes. At least this is my experience. I had several non-gamer friends that I eased into the hobby with gateway games and that got more interested over time. Nowadays we play games that would probably be seen as highly strategic by some with ease.
The key is to get people interested in a game such that investing more time into learning the rules pays off. And I often achieve this by showing them which great experience playing can be. Once you are accustomed with board gaming and spend more time with it you will find learning new games easier.

Long story short:
Do not feel pressured.
Find games that suit your taste and interest you.
Do not let yourself pressured in some corner to like a game or play highly strategic games at a point where you do not want to.
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.