Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to play this for the first time, and I wanted to see if anybody had some insight on Player Elimination.

(Christopher Brown, feel free to chime in on this topic as well.)

From reading the rules, I see that player elimination is definitely possible, but to my eyes, it seems somewhat unlikely. The ability to spend clues to heal is a nice touch.

However, as a veteran of Dead of Winter and Last Night on Earth, I'm considering house ruling that a player whose character dies may bring in a new character, but at some sort of cost, perhaps boosting the villain or perhaps handicapping the new character (half health?).

Any thoughts on this?

In case C.B. is reading this, any designer insight on the decision to have hard player elimination would be appreciated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:
However, as a veteran of Dead of Winter and Last Night on Earth, I'm considering house ruling that a player whose character dies may bring in a new character, but at some sort of cost, perhaps boosting the villain or perhaps handicapping the new character (half health?).

Any thoughts on this?

That's exactly how we play it - Arkham Horror style, just bring a new character in. I'm not usually a fan of house rules, but Slaughterville with a high player count can fill the best part of an evening, so we wouldn't want anyone to feel left out. Though it's only actually happened once that I can recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game around 12 times now (with 3 or 4 of the villains) and no one has ever died. We've won every time as well.

Eventually, I'll play the hard mode but if you play smart you shouldn't ever die so don't worry about player elimination - at least with the villains I've played so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I've played this game around 12 times now (with 3 or 4 of the villains) and no one has ever died. We've won every time as well.

That's good to hear - I like a co-op that allows for safe learning and difficulty ramp-up.

Any suggestions own a good first Villain to play? I've got all the KS villains except the Dream Demon (and is he worth pursuing?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

That's good to hear - I like a co-op that allows for safe learning and difficulty ramp-up.

Any suggestions own a good first Villain to play? I've got all the KS villains except the Dream Demon (and is he worth pursuing?)

Haven't played the Dream Demon. The designer said he was one of the more confusing villains to play and since I had a lot of questions on the "easier" ones, I've held off on the Dream Demon.

I've only played Beast Within, Slasher, Cannibal Rednecks, and Walker Carnival. There's a bunch of FAQ here: Unofficial FAQ (Answers are from the designer though) for those villains so one of those may be easier to start with until you get familiar with the game itself

Slasher is pretty straight forward and we liked that one. It did seem to take longer to play than the others but there's lot of combat with the villain (cause she keeps healing)

Beast Within was the first one we played so it's been awhile but that one was also good that was more about earning clues than combat with the villain

Cannibal Rednecks is like the movies Wrong Turn. It's also a good once that is a bit more involved than the others.

Walker Carnival is very different. There really is no villain per se, just some cards in the deck you have to 'defeat'

I will say the designer did a good job varying up the villains. There may be a couple that I haven't played that could be close to another, but of the 4 I've played they are all pretty different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:

Well, we played it last night: 5 players vs. the Cannibal Rednecks. My character (The Bad Boy) was killed halfway through, due to the Cannibals' uncanny ability to move to my location nearly every time the die was cast. . .

Irony is a cruel mistress . . .

From that point forward, I basically took over doing the villain stuff.

We had a great time, though. Plenty of riffing on card draws and die rolls. Looking forward to trying a new villain out next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did remember to move back to the player start area each time you lost a single combat round? Once there you can spend actions to heal.

You can also spend clue tokens to heal which do not cost an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
You did remember to move back to the player start area each time you lost a single combat round? Once there you can spend actions to heal.

You can also spend clue tokens to heal which do not cost an action.

Oh crap - I misread that you could heal for an action at the starting location - I thought it always cost a clue!

I would get beat up, go back home, and then head out in search of clues to heal. And sure enough, during the villain turn, they would roll my location yet again.

You only get clues for defeating enemies or potentially from events, right? I never encountered any enemies, just allies or events.

I spent my final turn in the same space as the doctor, praying he would get a clue to heal me with, but alas, it was not to be. . .

It's the beauty of the a storytelling game like Slaughterville - narratives appear from random events. We figured the Cannibals had it out for the Bad Boy for some reason, perhaps due to an 80's-movie-esque bullying session of their youngest.

These are the reasons I love thematic games - stories get created from random events. Far more memorable than pushing cubes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:

Oh crap - I misread that you could heal for an action at the starting location - I thought it always cost a clue!

It is an action to heal in the player starting location or a clue to heal at any location

Also, the player start area is considered adjacent to all locations, so if you succeed at fleeing, you can move there if needed.

If you have the Kickstarter edition, the Slaughterville Town Sign promo card gives a +1 to your die roll when healing or if you are about to die, you can remove it from the game and heal all your damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:
I'm getting ready to play this for the first time, and I wanted to see if anybody had some insight on Player Elimination.

(Christopher Brown, feel free to chime in on this topic as well.)

From reading the rules, I see that player elimination is definitely possible, but to my eyes, it seems somewhat unlikely. The ability to spend clues to heal is a nice touch.

Any thoughts on this?

In case C.B. is reading this, any designer insight on the decision to have hard player elimination would be appreciated as well.

We wanted to have the fear of death for your character. We wanted the Villains to feel more dangerous. It is why we have the Villains that say they win when all Players are killed. However, we have understood and rethought this and created a rule/errata/easy mode where those Villains that can win this way win when they kill characters. When a Player is killed, they get a new character and then place the dead character next to the Villain. This way there is a running total of the number of Player characters killed. For example: If a Villain requires all Players to be killed for a win condition and there are 3 Players, then the Villain must have 3 character cards placed next to it in order to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great option. My character died in the first game, but we misread the healing rules, so I doubt it would have happened had we been playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played it this way once because I had a player get eliminated pretty fast. The end result was that it doubled the length of the game (three more players "died" during this session as well).

Since that game (for the sake of time as well), I generally rule that the first player eliminated becomes the villain, basicly running it for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.