4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Newbee on OCTGN and Game of Thrones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As the title suggests I'm new to Game of Thrones second edition having just picked up a large lot for cheap locally.

I personally only know one person nearby that plays and can't play often so whilst creating a few decks I decided to give OCTGN a go for practicing...

So I encountered the 'not available on Mac' problem and overcame it with parallels and Windows 10 and got it working... I imported my deck and all the art from a website for such things...

Only downside is that OCTGN doesn't appear to be automated so it doesn't work out my gold total and add power when won etc which caused massive issues in my first and only game... Is this an error in my set up of the software or is this normal?

Also would anyone be available to take me through a game on there at some point soon (not right now as its nearly mid-night) bearing in mind I am a complete novice?

Thanks
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I use OCTGN quite a bit, although it's been a while that I played GoT.
Still, I remember gold generation and spending being automated.

There is no full automation, though, so you have to do most effects yourself.
Do you just need help with OCTGN or also GoT in general? I'd be willing to lend you a hand either way, although I haven't played since the first deluxe dropped, so am out of the loop in regards to the meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I recently had the same question about OCTGN's automation, which I asked here: OCTGN Automation.

Essentially, the "master" automation routine was turned off. However, there are several automation sub-routines that still remain, waiting to be discovered. I recommend that you take some time to explore with the right-click menus! Or get to know the keyboard shortcuts.

The right-click menu is context sensitive, so it will provide different options depending on what item or what part of the table you click on. For instance, you said it doesn't workout your gold total. Well, I'm not sure if by "total", you actually mean, "income", but it does work that out, and will also update the amount of gold in your pool as you marshal cards!

Here's how:

First, there usually two or three ways to accomplish almost any automation action:
1. Right-click menu
2. Keyboard short-cut (see link to a list of shortcuts, below)
3. Double-click (sometimes)

OK, to automatically calculate the amount of gold income that you get at the start of the Marshaling Phase, you can either:

- Right click on the board to bring up the "Table" menu. Then go to "Game Actions", then to “Marshal Phase”, then to “Count Income”.
- Or, (and more easily), you can double—click on the Plot Card itself, or simply press “Alt—G” as a keyboard shortcut.

Whichever method you choose, the program will automatically calculate your income for the marshaling phase (including any gold producing cards you have in play) and indicate the amount of gold in your gold pool, on top of your Plot Card.

It will also update your gold pool when you spend gold during a Marshaling action. Right click on the card you want to marshal, then click on “Pay Gold To Put Into Play”. Be sure to answer “0” when it asks if there’s any cost reduction (unless there is a cost reduction to be applied to the purchase). Doing this will automatically subtract the cost of the card you're marshaling from your gold pool and will update the total to reflect your new amount of gold you have on hand.

Another example of the automation is how it automates your plot phase for you. At the start of the Plot Phase, right click on the board to get to the "Table” menu, then to the “Game Actions” sub menu, then to “Plot Phase”, then to, "Reveal Plot". (Or more easily, use "Alt=P" as a keyboard shortcut).

And it gets better! If you have a "When Revealed" ability on your Plot Card, you can automatically implement the ability by right-clicking on the card and selecting, "Use Ability". (Or press "Ctrl-A"). A new dialog box will pop-up confirming your intentions and do most of the work for you!

This is really cool when for instance, you have a Plot Card that allows you to search the top 10 cards of your deck. When you click on the "Use Ability" function and answer the confirmation dialog, it will automatically show you the top 10 cards of your draw deck. You then select one, and the program will put he other nine cards back into your deck and reshuffle it. It will also show the chosen card on the table for a few seconds so that your opponent can see it (for those abilities which require it). You'll then see it show-up in your hand - all automatically.

And the "Use Ability" automation feature works on most any other card as well, but not all. It's a hit or miss thing.

And Finally, here's a list of all the keyboard shortcuts: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_QieSxRQSWN6iuifqc7A1Jzg...

I hope this helps.

Again, the take-away is that while the "master" automation has been turned off, there are enough remnants remaining that make it easier than sticking to the full manual mode, which is another - and all around simpler - option of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
WOW! That's amazing, thank you....

As I've never played before (either physical or properly on OCTGN) the last thing I want to do is go on there and start another game without knowing what I'm doing as thats obviously unfair on the person I'm playing against...

But those tips and shortcuts will be really useful, thank you again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.