$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Condottiere» Forums » General

Subject: Can anyone tell me what year, or what map, the Condotierre board is based on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just asking because some things, like the placement of Siena, bugged my Italian friends and I'd like to know if there is a historical basis for them.

An example of 1445 Italy (which obviously isn't the right year).

Ender's board photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
KEEP America Great!
mbmbmbmbmb
Siena moved?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Siena moved?!

Seems unlikely, right? But if it didn't, why is it pictured on the coast in Condotierre?

I'm guessing it's just a lazy approximation and we shouldn't read anything more into it, but it did receive quite a lot of criticism yesterday at the gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
KEEP America Great!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's version dependent. Siena is shown on mine as a coastal *province* (it's a piece of Tuscany, so I'm not sure that's sn issue), but the icon for the city is inland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Maybe it's version dependent. Siena is shown on mine as a coastal *province* (it's a piece of Tuscany, so I'm not sure that's sn issue), but the icon for the city is inland.

Right, that's all true as far as it goes, but based on the current locations, the icon for the city "should" be (as far as I know) almost directly south of the icon for Florence. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case in any edition, and Siena, the city, is depicted next to the coast, considerably further west than you would expect, with plenty of room for it to have been further east if accuracy were a design choice.

Anyway, I'm looking for a historical map to do a direct comparison, but none of them seem to match up very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note that the location of Siena wasn't the only criticism of the map I heard yesterday, but it is the only one I can remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be taking eurogame maps too seriously. Even wargame maps, intended for simulation, sometimes have cartographic errors. Graphic artists aren't generally experts in that field, and it's easy for things to slip past during production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
KEEP America Great!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You may be taking eurogame maps too seriously. Even wargame maps, intended for simulation, sometimes have cartographic errors. Graphic artists aren't generally experts in that field, and it's easy for things to slip past during production.

Or it could be intentional, to get the desired relationships between areas with convenient and clear spacing for playing pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You may be taking eurogame maps too seriously.

I'm not bothered, or at least I wouldn't be bothered if the first reaction to the map by my Italian friends wasn't a discussion of how inaccurate everything is. They liked the card design, at least, with the Eurogame edition having cards very evocative of Italian playing cards.

I know that some games take serious liberties with map design (like Twilight Struggle, for instance). Sometimes that's necessary. However, it would seem that as long as the Condotierre piece fits (over-sizing some city states) and the number of adjacent borders works (some "tweaking" of borders), there would be no reason not to at least make an attempt at accuracy. The game design does not preclude accuracy, is my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt whether the board is meant to replicate a specific map. And this time period covers a broad range of history during which borders and boundaries would have changed.

Instead, I look at it as a stylized representation to provide a playable domain. Seventeen regions have a varying degree of connectivity, from Modena and Firenze, then Milano, being good starting points to achieve the winning criteria easily, to Torino and Siena having limited expansion potential out of their respective zones, but some simplistic defence benefits because of that limited adjacency.

If this board detracts the attention away from game-play for your Italian friends, perhaps print off a sixteenth century Italy map and just play on the colour-tinted zones. The red circles for the cities are just handy spots to place your coloured control markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
One doesn't need to be an expert of any sort to copy a map. Here's a map for Minnesota with Duluth misspelled and Fargo located in Minnesota. Ridiculous. If it's any consolation to your Italian friends, they aren't being singled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, that is a tad nasty

There must be a BGG group somewhere for 'Worst. Map. Ever' surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAG-UK wrote:
Ouch, that is a tad nasty

There must be a BGG group somewhere for 'Worst. Map. Ever' surely?

If only there were a way to find such things...

Game maps with horrible innaccuracies!
Bad Maps: the mediocre, the ugly, and the ones you really want to burn.
Beautiful map, but...
wargame-maps from hell
Butt-Ugly Wargame Maps -- Extra Points for Ugly Counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.