44.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Chess Grandmaster Tired Of People Comparing Every Life Situation To Chess Match rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.theonion.com/article/chess-grandmaster-tired-peop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his argument is a strong opening move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I am tired of it and that's no joke. It bothers me when there are so many great games and even something as old and widely known as Go and westerners are still having a circle jerk about how brilliantly enigmantic and subtle Chess is. If everyone forgot about Chess tomorrow I would not lament the fact. afaic only the genre is of any interest at this point. And if anything Chess itself is just giving variant "designers" a lazy method for generating new games by applying various new gimmicks to FIDE rather than actually putting some thought into deriving pieces that can better facillitate new dynamics. Chess is mythological mucus when it comes to abstract games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sometimes amusing to me how often I see chess pieces used as art on business books and business/financial-related advertisements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can't fight city hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodotus Halicarnassus
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
CoreyClark wrote:
I am tired of it and that's no joke. It bothers me when there are so many great games and even something as old and widely known as Go and westerners are still having a circle jerk about how brilliantly enigmantic and subtle Chess is. If everyone forgot about Chess tomorrow I would not lament the fact. afaic only the genre is of any interest at this point. And if anything Chess itself is just giving variant "designers" a lazy method for generating new games by applying various new gimmicks to FIDE rather than actually putting some thought into deriving pieces that can better facillitate new dynamics. Chess is mythological mucus when it comes to abstract games.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a parody of "Katanas are Underpowered in D20" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:

This post should really have ended "CHECKMATE."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a statement that chess is part of common experience of people in the western world. We need common reference points. You get the same thing with memes from movies, songs, video games, etc. Literature used to make tons of subtle references to biblical stories and Greek myths. It is part of communication. Obscure memes are of no use. Chess is a very well known game with may memes: Your just a pawn, check, I think we have a stalemate, checkmate, fools mate, and a few more.

Another game that does this is POKER. There are tons of references to folding, bluffing, having an ace in the hole, raising the stakes, going all in, etc.

I wonder if in Japan they refer to "go"? Do they say that's Joseki in this situation, or these options are miai, or you are down to one eye, etc ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Another game that does this is POKER.

Cribbage too (but to a less extent I think). "level pegging", "what a turn-up/a turn-up for the books", "streets ahead", and "pegged out" and I know someone who often says "his nibs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

Cribbage too (but to a less extent I think). "level pegging", "what a turn-up/a turn-up for the books", "streets ahead", and "pegged out" and I know someone who often says "his nibs".

The frequency of Cribbage metaphors in popular parlance seems to me to be orders of magnitude smaller than Chess or Poker! I don't honestly remember ever hearing anyone use most of those Cribbage expressions outside of an actual Cribbage game, except for "pegged out" (and I'm guessing most people who use it aren't even consciously alluding to Cribbage or aware that Cribbage is a game with scoring pegs)...

(Or maybe it's more common in UK English? I don't know...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

The frequency of Cribbage metaphors in popular parlance seems to me to be orders of magnitude smaller than Chess or Poker! I don't honestly remember ever hearing anyone use most of those Cribbage expressions outside of an actual Cribbage game, except for "pegged out" (and I'm guessing most people who use it aren't even consciously alluding to Cribbage or aware that Cribbage is a game with scoring pegs)...

I wasn't aware of their origins*, but I can tell you that the first three at least are definitely common idiomatic British English and would be understood by basically anyone in general parlance, even if they were unfamiliar with Cribbage and thus the literal meanings ("streets ahead" has the advantage of being pretty easy to conceptualise literally even if you're thinking of tarmac'd streets rather than wooden ones - and I suppose "level pegging" has the advantage of having the word "level" in it).

"Streets ahead" of course makes some memorable appearances in the sitcom Community :-)

*or rather, I hadn't thought about them enough as phrases to realise their origins - in the same way as it had never occurred to me before that "no-holds-barred" comes from wrestling, even though having been told that it's pretty transparent how it comes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Pewtress
Canada
Guelph
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

I've heard "his nibs" (my mother hails from Belfast), but didn't know its origins 'til now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Little Town of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
The Oxford dictionary people say the origin of "his nibs" is unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Kaffedrake wrote:

Indeed.

At cribbage, I suspect that "one for his nob" is actually the more common usage, and (since "two for his heels" is the companion expression) that it refers to the knave's head - though a cruder interpretation will doubtless cross the modern mind.

"His nibs", on the other hand - which, by the way, I don't think is particularly regional at all - is a term of jocular deference by analogy with "his majesty", "his worship", "his grace", etc etc.

Probably two quite separate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I don't honestly remember ever hearing anyone use most of those Cribbage expressions outside of an actual Cribbage game, except for "pegged out"

I don't remember anyone using pegged out, but I've certainly heard all the others frequently. I don't think it matters too much whether people are thinking about where the phrases come from when using them. I'm sure people sometimes use chess terms without consciously thinking about chess (though they would almost certainly be able to tell you where the phrase came from) likewise with expressions from Shakespeare, the bible, or Greek myth (though they might be more like Cribbage in that many people aren't don't realise where the expressions come from).

mocko wrote:
At cribbage, I suspect that "one for his nob" is actually the more common usage, and (since "two for his heels" is the companion expression) that it refers to the knave's head - though a cruder interpretation will doubtless cross the modern mind.

I learnt it as "one for his hat" and "two for doing it". Interesting to know that "one for his hat" has pretty much the same meaning (maybe I knew that anyway). Also interesting to know that there's no evidence that "his nibs" comes from cribbage, I've seen it used on line in place of "his nob" but never heard it.

This has got rather off topic for the abstract game forum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Little Town of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:
This has got rather off topic for the abstract game forum!

I didn't even read the linked article!

I've taken your malware for the last time, Mr Dunga!

*clicks*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The article comes from The Onion, so probably just a satirical or exaggerated piece.

Still it's funny, which is the point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mocko wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:

Indeed.

"His nibs", on the other hand - which, by the way, I don't think is particularly regional at all - is a term of jocular deference by analogy with "his majesty", "his worship", "his grace", etc etc.

FWIW this cribbage lingo all sounds very UK English to me; I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying this stuff in real life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Onion = 100% joke (and funny, at that).

And cribbage chatter does not happen in the United States from what I've experienced. At all. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

FWIW this cribbage lingo all sounds very UK English to me; I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying this stuff in real life...

I recall finding three ladies playing cribbage at lunchtime in a laboratory in Birmingham (sounds like the intro to a joke doesn't it), being invited to join them and finding to my pleased surprise that the game and the associated terminology were identical to what my grandfather taught me.

This was Birmingham Alabama, and I think it was in real life, which of course only happens in America ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
russ wrote:

I recall finding three ladies playing cribbage at lunchtime in a laboratory in Birmingham (sounds like the intro to a joke doesn't it), being invited to join them and finding to my pleased surprise that the game and the associated terminology were identical to what my grandfather taught me.

This was Birmingham Alabama, and I think it was in real life, which of course only happens in America ...

Sure, but by "real life" I meant outside of a Cribbage game, just in a normal real-life non-gaming context. E.g. addressing someone jocularly as "his nibs" or whatever.

I agree that when playing Cribbage, of course people use Cribbage jargon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
I think his argument is a strong opening move.

Perhaps, but it is well worn path with no theoretical novelty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Little Town of
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
catosulla wrote:
it is well worn path

As a hiker I would have appreciated a trigger warning for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whistle NSFSCG:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"LIFE is akin too a Chess Grandmaster's Cock; when it's HARD, it's a "real fucker"; and when it's SOFT, then, it's "hard too beat!"
surprise Well, it's TRUE for 'moi'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that chess player is so mad that people compare life to chess. He's just being hypermodern about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.