$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
... only giving +1 card per held city-state at the start of a new round instead of +2?

I recently picked up the Eurogames edition, and I've read the various analyses of why it is better than the FF edition. I'm inclined to agree on all counts, except that I'm thinking of incorporating this one change.

Any thoughts from people who have played both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
... only giving +1 card per held city-state at the start of a new round instead of +2?

I recently picked up the Eurogames edition, and I've read the various analyses of why it is better than the FF edition. I'm inclined to agree on all counts, except that I'm thinking of incorporating this one change.

Any thoughts from people who have played both?

I played the original first and I like the original rules slightly better, but after having played the FF version/rules a couple times, I'm ok with the changes.

I think my least favorite change is the Bishop power.

With that said, I wish I had the Eurogames version if just for the large tarot cards and bigger board -- but it is kinda nice having such a small box version as well .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm intrigued by the 1st edition bishop rule (battle ends, no winner), but I could also see that making a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
I'm intrigued by the 1st edition bishop rule (battle ends, no winner), but I could also see that making a longer game.

Previous discussions of the differences:
Review.
Rather feisty discussion that does end with a couple of posts about hand size bonus differences.

I haven't played the new version, so my understanding is purely theoretical. I can say that I like the Eurogames bishops, and the games I have played were very very fast and fun. I suspect FF nerfed the bishops because of a misguided "modern" idea that a bidding war ending without a victor is intrinsically bad, and I think that idea is mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't like any of the changes to the game that were made by Fantasy Flight, I like the courtesan cards least of all. There are so many of them (12) that it usually takes multiple courtesans to get the benefit of placing the Condottiere, which usually means that wherever you place it someone else will get it, so that in the end result the only real benefit of using courtesans is that you get to choose which spot you're not going to win next.

Courtesans also potentially destroy the primary dynamic of the game. In order to win at Condottiere you must effectively, at some point in the game, win two hands in a row...one to position the Condottiere and one to win that spot. So despite the fact that courtesans tend to be rather useless, the one use they actually have is to let you conserve your forces then get to place the Condottiere anyway, for a "surprise" win. That's contrary to how the game was constructed in the first place!

Courtesan cards are just garbage thrown in to dilute the deck (literally, since the FF version is 14 cards bigger and 12 of them are courtesans).

Pete (got rid of the FF version, but if he had it he would seek agreement from all players to just remove all 12 courtesans before playing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Pete (got rid of the FF version, but if he had it he would seek agreement from all players to just remove all 12 courtesans before playing)
That's what I did, I liked the 1st-2nd editions best, but the FFG one is definitely easier to take with you anywhere. So I removed the extra cards (courtesans, springs, 3 bishops...), and I have an almost "compact 2nd edition"!

EDIT/ OK, for the exact details I found my old post!
franchi wrote:
sgosaric wrote:
So: throw away:
- 1 scarecrow card
- 3 bishop cards
- 3 spring cards
- 7 courtesan cards

Use 5 courtesan cards to replace the 5 missing 1 strength mercenaries. Alert players before the game that these count as mercenaries.

I bought the FFG edition, then I heard about how better were the original ones and sold it to buy the 2nd edition, and then found that the box was too big to take the game around...

So I sold it and bought the FFG edition again! And did what you say, throw away those cards and play with the 2nd edition rules. I didn't include 5 courtisans, just play with 5 mercenaries less, much easier and doesn't seem to change the game dramatically.

Having the "2nd edition" in such a small box is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played both versions extensively. Both are good, but I've come to like the FFG edition better. The first edition allowed contesting already won regions, which made the game drag a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
The first edition allowed contesting already won regions, which made the game drag a bit.

I think in the 2nd edition that was only a suggested variant. Cannot say about the first, but I thought that the only difference between 1st and 2nd was that the former had better pieces (metal figure and towers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
I've played both versions extensively. Both are good, but I've come to like the FFG edition better. The first edition allowed contesting already won regions, which made the game drag a bit.

That rule is a variant that will never be used in the edition I have (Eurogames 2nd edition), which is the one I am comparing to FFs edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.