Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got a copy on the hope that this would get some of my old Risk buddies into better games. Unfortunately the 2-3 player version appears rather convoluted.

Has anyone played with 2-3 players? How did it go? Are there better options that the in-game solution?

Would it work to just start with the "mercenary" armies permanently assigned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Gamer
msg tools
Hi there, I've also wondering if assigning mercenary armies would work... Seems like an interesting idea to try!

I would reccommend trying it instead of the 2 player game. I have tried 2 player and it wasn't too great. 3 players and 1 mercy army however is totally different and is great in my opinion! I have only played one 3 player game and it was a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the 2-player version a couple of times. The mercenary variant does a decent job of making 2-player Risk a little more interesting.

While bidding for control of mercenaries feels different from the rest of the game, it adds a nice bluffing element along with interesting strategic considerations.

Assigning mercenary armies permanently at the outset would remove a lot of the guesswork and might make the game go a little quicker, but I think it would be a drier experience.

Play it both ways and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I played a 2 player game recently. It was the first game for both of us and we missed a lot of rules. The mercenary armies don't add a lot of complexity, except at the start during setup, but they do add a lot of fiddlyness to an otherwise straight forward game in my opinion. We ended up spending all of our resources bidding on mercenaries at the start of the game instead of building up our own armies. This really dragged the game out, ( 4+ hours ) because mercenaries don't gain VP's, which is the goal of the game. I think if we tried it again we could get it down to 2-3 but that is still longer than I want to play.

I might try a variant where each city has it's own predetermined number of neutral mercenaries. Players wouldn't bid for them and they wouldn't move, just defend themselves against attack. Or maybe a player could make a one time bribe and convert them to his army or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a 3 player game last night.

The mercenary army adds a tough element to the game. The armies were placed in Berlin and Paris. Right in the middle of the board.

The army got huge and scary. We seemed to be spending a lot of money to win control to keep them away from the home lands.

I really like the mercenary armies. Definitely adds a cool element to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With 3 players could you leave them out entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I LOVE the 2-player version with mercenary armies. You have to bid on both of them, and with variables of turn order and available resources, it's easy to create a monster (a mercenary kingdom with a huge army) and then lose control of it.

As player learn to play the 2-player version, I think they'll see that if you build up a large mercenary army you need to attack with it while you control it -- using it not to gain territory but to deplete your opponent's armies or distract her on another front while you move in for the kill.

I think the mercenary rules add a great meta-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the two player version with mercs today. LOVED IT! The mercs add a great extra element to the game, as each player has to consider trying to win the support of the mercs each turn in order to screw over his opponent. Having to bid on mercs adds another decision layer as to how to spend one's money. This is a great two player game, and I'm saying even after getting my English/Italian/Spanish butt kicked today by my opponent's Saxony/Russian/Swedish confederation! Damn French mercs totally wrecked me, but that was simply good play by my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you've seen it yet (probably not as it just got approved a few hours ago) but I made my own variant for 2 or 3 players that you should look into! I personally didn't really like the Mercenary rules and this worked better for my friends and I. Instead of mercenaries there are empires and barbarians. If you have a chance let me know what you think!

Here is a link to the Board Game Geek file page for my PDF:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137627/empires-altern...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.