Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
PD:OoV has been my most anticipated game since pledging for it lo those many eons ago! I love the theme, the mechanics appear to be unique, and the posted art looked grand! And now it's finally arrived!!

I eagerly tear open the package, and . . . oh.
I remove the shrink wrap, peruse the components and . . . hmmm.

My initial impression was not enthusiastic. In fact, after further examination, it turned to disappointment. Below is a breakdown of my impressions:

1. Box -- Very good quality construction. Worthless cardboard insert. Cover art too small and dark.

2. Mapboard -- Washed out and unreadable. Can't make out any of the artwork. The small text, which there's lots, is light green on dark green, pink on red, etc.

3. Cards -- Slightly below average card stock. The poker sized cards, and large square cards, are graphically and artistically fine, BUT the mini cards are the miniest I have ever seen! 3.2cm x 4.4cm! And, they have text on them!! Bring your magnifying glasses, boys and girls!

4. Player boards -- Just okay cardstock. The stat tracks are too small, and the font on them are too dark (notice a theme here). There is no way the provided counters will fit on the stat tracks. You'll need to dig out some cubes from somewhere.

5. Miniatures -- I like them! Good detail, variety, and plenty of them. They're made of the very rubbery plastic, and they are all gray. No colors to differentiate units.

6. Rulebook -- Looks good! I have not thoroughly read through it yet, but it appears to be nicely organized and very colorful.

7. Counters -- Good quality and size, and there's tons of them. I needed a GMT counter tray to organize them all. Would have been nice to have a separate sheet identifying what each of them are, instead of needing to look for them in the rulebook.

8. Dice -- Excellent quality d10s.

9. Terrain boards -- Same so-so cardstock as player boards. Nice variety and colors, but dark.

I don't know if all printed copies of the game have these issues. If so, I am aghast that these blatant graphic miscues got through editing, proof copies, and production. I certainly hope the gameplay pans out, unfortunately my eagerness to play has been diminished.

I'd love to hear from other owners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take pictures? Might be helpful for people to compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I took some pictures of the board. I, too, am having trouble reading it and find the colors to be murky and of low saturation.

The miniatures aren't of the best quality of plastic, which is a shame because many of the details of the original sculpts are lost, but they are adequate, IMHO (although I did have to heat/bend/cool one of my figures).

(Before dipping in hot water, bending into place, and dipping in cold water)

(After letting the fixed miniature set for 12 hours to see if the fix held)

As for the boards and tactical maps and cards, although the colors could have been sharper, IMHO, they all all right (except that the small cards are so small that I cannot find sleeves to fit them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a failure to me. Eveverything looks cheap and poorly made.

I gave more than $200 to this project at the time. I had that feel from the beginning though, that it would be a failure.

What a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it a failure if the game plays well. Admittedly, the components could have been of a higher quality, but I backed at the Universe pledge level (essentially the all-in playable content level), and I got a lot of content (and hopefully replayability) for my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Expecting mine tomorrow. I haven't seen it yet obviously, but lets keep in mind this was made and shipped for like 32k. This was not some million dollar CMoN project or something. If the gameplay has lived up to the potential it had then I will be happy and not fault them for less than perfect components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Set low expectations.

Just got done playing it, and sadly it did not live up to its promise.

The rule book is lacking and it is very evident that they did not have anyone edit it or go back to it with any playtesting feedback. Ended up having to house rule a number if things and just guess how it is ment to be in different situations. Game bogs down and has far too much down time (and this is from someone that enjoys playing multi hour in depth games).

Try it by all means, but don't expect a wonder. Sadly it would take too much effort and time to go through this and make house rule and retooling of the game to make it worth playing again.

Truely sad to see with the cool characacters and nice setup. Coulda been a neat take on Arkham Horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve park-smith
Australia
flag msg tools
hi what is this game like? It is selling now on amazon for only rd $59

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
steveps321 wrote:

It is like a combination of Arkham/Eldritch Horror combined with a simple miniatures battle game on boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharkeyx wrote:
steveps321 wrote:

It is like a combination of Arkham/Eldritch Horror combined with a simple miniatures battle game on boards.

Wow. It's that bad!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve park-smith
Australia
flag msg tools
hi is it fun? are components ok? minis look poor quality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pangalactic Entertainment
United States
California
flag msg tools
As described above, if you like Arkham Horror and miniature battles then you find the game fun. It can run long as intended with the miniature battle board system where battles are similar to Warhammer. There are a lot of story cards to play and quite a few different characters to customize and learn.

The components themselves are the best we could do considering our very small startup company. We feel the character sheets, battle boards, cards, tokens all came out well. We have heard some people got main boards with less color then others but some people have got boards that look fine so I assume we may have had an issue with mass production there. The miniatures themselves were made to be durable and ready to go out of the box which means they won't be the highest quality you seen but there is still good detail as shown in the pictures and when painted I think they look great.

Amazon itself has a great return policy. So if you give it a shot and don't like it. Then feel free to return it. We hope you like it if you do try it and ask us any questions you need too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.