Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Schmerold
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I just played a solo game with the atlanteans and there seems to be the potential for infinite points using the following cards:

1. Porters (Spend 1 food to choose any of your production buildings and gain the goods it provides) + Advanced point techs + Regular tech

2. Mechanical Helper (Spend 1 Basic Tech to choose one of your other Action common buildings. Discard goods spent to activate it. You may activate the building again) + Advanced point techs + Regular tech

3. Acting Troupe (Spend 1 Worker to choose one of your other Action common buildings. Discard goods spent to activate it. You may activate the building again) + Advanced point techs + Regular tech

4. Strong production buildings (E.g. Mamma's house, 1 gold per gold building (max 3), Trading post [basic tech + gold])

Steps (assuming you start with 1 worker on acting troupe:
0. Starting situation [1 acting]
1. Play porters on gold building [+2 Gold; 1 porters + 1 acting]
2. Play porters on Mamma's house [+3 People, +1 Gold; 2 porters + 1 acting]
3. Play Acting Troupe on porters [+2 People, +1 Gold; 2 acting]
4. Play porters on trading post [+2 people, +1 gold, + 1 tech; 2 acting + 1 porters]
5. Play porters on trading post [+2 people, +1 gold, +2 tech; 2 acting + 2 porters]
6. Play mechanical helper on porters + acting [+2 people, +1 gold; 2 mechanical]
7. Play acting troupe on mechanical helper [+1 people, +1 gold; 1 acting]
Repeat loop for infinite points, gold and people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikclaessens wrote:
Action cards can be only activated once ...

He is playing with Atlanteans and the cards had a Basic Tech. Token that allows him active the builds one more time.

I´ll will need to check this later when I can read the cards, but this combo need a big setup to work, include some "uniques" commons cards, so it´s not easy to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikclaessens wrote:
I believe that's incorrect. You can only put tokens on common cards. So I think it's not possible to use these action cards twice.

Edit: while looking more closely at the initial post, the mistake already happens at step 2, since you can't have a tech token on your Porters action card, so you can't activate it twice. So while my intial answer was in principle a correct statement, it didn't answer this particular case.

Porters and Acting Troupe are commons cards from base game.
I need to check the Mechanical Helper, but I belive it´s a common too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Claessens
Netherlands
flag msg tools
First of all, I deleted my previous posts as they were incorrect to avoid confusion.

I have the cards in front of me know and I'm wondering where are you getting the workers (or people as you call them) from? Step 2 says: play porters on mamma's house + 3 people + 1 gold. I don't get that one. Where are the people gained?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Rumm
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking more closely at this, it appears that you have found an infinite loop. It looks like an 8 step loop that gains you 1 Gold and 1 Worker each time you complete it.

With Advanced Scoring Tech on each of the 5 common cards, you're also scoring 10 VP per loop: 1 each time an Action card is activated at each step of the loop and 2 more when activating the common Production cards with Porters (i.e. Mamma's Baths and Merchants' Guild).

Of course, this loops requires 5 very specific common cards, of which there is only one copy of each in the deck. If you're missing any one of them, the combo is impossible. It also requires you to have a minimum of 1 other pink and 2 other gold cards in your empire, or the loop doesn't work. That makes this a 9 card combo requiring 5 unique common cards, all of which are high priority raze targets. So, while this appears to be possible, the chances of you pulling it off in a multiplayer game are incredibly low.

A similar loop is possible for the Egyptians using only Porters, Merchants' Guild and two copies of Royal Swimming Pool, but it is zero sum, gaining you nothing for doing it. However, it could function as a potential delaying technique if you wanted to perform certain actions only after every other player was forced to pass. I really don't see much practical benefit in using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Schmerold
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Rizban wrote:
Of course, this loops requires 5 very specific common cards, of which there is only one copy of each in the deck. If you're missing any one of them, the combo is impossible. It also requires you to have a minimum of 1 other pink and 2 other gold cards in your empire, or the loop doesn't work. That makes this a 9 card combo requiring 5 unique common cards, all of which are high priority raze targets. So, while this appears to be possible, the chances of you pulling it off in a multiplayer game are incredibly low.

I agree that it's very unlikely to be an issue in a multiplayer game for exactly the reason that you describe, but I would like to mention that I believe the porters, mechanical helper, and acting troupe are the only elements of this chain which are unique. There may be only one copy of the production buildings I listed, but there are alternatives (lighthouse, which is an Atlantean building which produces 3 people, the lord's field which produces 3 food, and mechanized farmers [3 food]).

As an aside, I understand that when porters is used on a building with Tech, it doesn't get doubled (i.e. you wouldn't get 6 people out of Momma's house with tech on it), but I don't think this is very clear in the rules and I wasn't able to find a good ruling for it online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Schmerold
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
rikclaessens wrote:
First of all, I deleted my previous posts as they were incorrect to avoid confusion.

I have the cards in front of me know and I'm wondering where are you getting the workers (or people as you call them) from? Step 2 says: play porters on mamma's house + 3 people + 1 gold. I don't get that one. Where are the people gained?

If you have Mamma's Baths [I think I incorrectly called it Mamma's house] + 2 other pink buildings, I believe that it generates 3 workers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.